Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjm3113

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Okay, so I've had an array of Windows laptops including a Vaio (6-7 years ago), a cheap HP (3-4 years ago) and now a much nicer HP (last 3 years). The first HP gave me problems, but I was very pleased with both the Sony and the current HP..for a while. I am now just fed up and going to buy a Mac, here is where I need you guys.

I know I can get an old Macbook or even a Macbook Pro for a pretty reasonable price right now. As a college student the computer will be used mostly for..

-word processing
-web surfing
-media
-graphic design

So my question is, is it worth it to buy one of the new Macbooks? I am leaning towards one right now but if you guys do not think it is worth the extra money I think I would have to take your advice.

Next question, if you do recommend one of the older ones, is the Pro worth the extra money in most cases? I want a computer that I will be able to stick with for more than a year or two so if you think that makes the new MB a better choice please share your opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.