PDA

View Full Version : User-Friendly External Hard Drive for iBook G4?

Tapdance42
Feb 9, 2009, 06:29 PM
I am looking to purchase an external hard drive for my iBook G4, and could use some advice. There are so many products on the market, and I'm having a hard time figuring out where to begin.

My primary concerns are that it be relatively affordable (under $150), small-ish in size (I live in a tiny apartment with limited storage space) and VERY user-friendly. (I mostly use my Mac for e-mail, surfing the web, listening to music, and uploading photographs from my digital camera--anything too technical is going to confuse me!)

I plan to use the hard drive primarily for backing up iTunes (about 8,000 songs) and also a few photographs, so 250 GB or so is probably plenty of storage space.

Any recommendations? Anything to avoid? Do I need something specifically designed for Mac (such as those produced by Western Digital) or will any hard drive work?

Thanks!!

Roy Hobbs
Feb 9, 2009, 06:56 PM
I am looking to purchase an external hard drive for my iBook G4, and could use some advice. There are so many products on the market, and I'm having a hard time figuring out where to begin.

My primary concerns are that it be relatively affordable (under $150), small-ish in size (I live in a tiny apartment with limited storage space) and VERY user-friendly. (I mostly use my Mac for e-mail, surfing the web, listening to music, and uploading photographs from my digital camera--anything too technical is going to confuse me!)

I plan to use the hard drive primarily for backing up iTunes (about 8,000 songs) and also a few photographs, so 250 GB or so is probably plenty of storage space.

Any recommendations? Anything to avoid? Do I need something specifically designed for Mac (such as those produced by Western Digital) or will any hard drive work?

Thanks!!

User Friendly? You plug it in and thats it, how much more user friendly do you need?

Tapdance42
Feb 10, 2009, 08:33 AM
Sorry--I've never bought one of these things before, and have NO idea how it works. Since they're selling a Mac-ready version, I was assuming that the others were PC-ready and had to be formatted for use on a Mac. If this isn't the case, is there any advantage to buying those made specifically for a Mac? Why are they more expensive?

themoonisdown09
Feb 10, 2009, 08:37 AM
Sorry--I've never bought one of these things before, and have NO idea how it works. Since they're selling a Mac-ready version, I was assuming that the others were PC-ready and had to be formatted for use on a Mac. If this isn't the case, is there any advantage to buying those made specifically for a Mac? Why are they more expensive?

It's very easy to reformat an external hard drive, so I wouldn't worry too much about buying a Mac ready one. Just get one that fits your needs (small in size and affordable). If the one you like is not Mac ready, just ask on here how to reformat it.

rdowns
Feb 10, 2009, 08:47 AM
Formatting a drive takes a few clicks. You launch Disc Utility, select the drive, select how you want it formatted and click a button.

Once formatted, it will appear on your desktop and you use it like the internal drive on your Mac.

Macmel
Feb 10, 2009, 09:11 AM

As other people have pointed out, pluging and using it is normally as hard as it gets. Nevertheless, Lacie, for example makes Mac-friendly drives already formatted for Mac. I have one, 500 Gb bought 1 year ago that has been working flawslessly since (It was around $200 at that time, much cheaper now and that's my Time Machine drive). Also have an Iomega, older one, working flawlessly too for over 2 years (160 Gb).
If space is too much of a constraint, you could go for a portable one, this 3.5" ones, pocket size, but note that this kind is normally more expensive per Gb than the desktop ones.

old-wiz
Feb 10, 2009, 09:13 AM
Iomega makes a decent 500 gb drive firewire/usb for about $ 125 incl shipping from Amazon. It comes Mac formatted.

Tapdance42
Feb 10, 2009, 06:57 PM
Thank you!!