PDA

View Full Version : Mini-CD stuck in my Macbook!

MsHotness
Feb 10, 2009, 01:36 AM
Obviously, I did not read the instruction booklet before I attempted this, but it never occurred to me that the computer would not accept a mini-CD. So, now that it is in there, what to do?

I read on another forum that somebody used a paperclip to get one out, but I think the CD is in too far for that and the paperclip would damage the computer as well as the CD, which I'd like to salvage since it contains a lot of good info.

Has anybody successfully managed to dislodge one of these before? My computer is fairly new, Thanksgiving time is when I bought it. Will the Apple store help me with this, or am I on my own?

Suggestions appreciated.

LinMac
Feb 10, 2009, 01:38 AM
I would definitely take it to an Apple store to ask them before poking around in that slot loading drive by myself. They might charge you to fix it, but that is just part of it. I can say they have helped me twice when DVDs split inside my slot loading drive at no charge, but those were broken full sized DVDs instead of a mini CD.

Trip.Tucker
Feb 10, 2009, 01:45 AM
Don't attempt to remove the mini disk yourself. Let someone instore do that fir you. You may have to pay a small fee for the service, but you won't have to bear the cost of a replacement drive if that is damaged during the removal process. Unless, of course the damage is already done.

GfulDedFan
Feb 10, 2009, 06:11 AM
Obviously, I did not read the instruction booklet before I attempted this,......Suggestions appreciated.

You might want to find your manual and at least look at the pictures.

whitebook
Feb 10, 2009, 06:35 AM
You might want to find your manual and at least look at the pictures.

Just take it the your nearest Apple Store and explain your situation as a couple of posters have said. Youll most definately have to pay a small fee for their time but it will save your DVD drive from becomin totally useless.
Good Luck!!!

Patriks7
Feb 10, 2009, 10:04 AM
The manual is there for a reason. I highly bet there is something relating to a Mini-CD getting stuck inside.

gixxerredliner
Feb 10, 2009, 10:25 AM
The manual is there for a reason. I highly bet there is something relating to a Mini-CD getting stuck inside.

:D i found that post funny LOL, Patriks right and I'm willing to bet there is a few sections regarding not using mini disc in macbooks. Also why take such a risk espiecally if you have the manuel lmao thats like changing the hard drive in your laptop and not checking which is compatible.

eman
Feb 10, 2009, 12:12 PM
You could remove the keyboard and pull out the optical drive and remove the disk (it should just fall out). Yes, this involves some work, albeit, not very hard.

GfulDedFan
Feb 10, 2009, 12:33 PM

Here's from the manual:

Using the optical drive The SuperDrive in your MacBook supports standard 12 cm (4.7 inch) discs. Irregularly shaped discs or discs smaller than 12 cm (4.7 inches) are not supported and can become lodged in the drive.

And if you search troubleshooting the Optical drive, you get Apple Portables: Troubleshooting the slot load optical disc drive (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2801)

cloudnine
Feb 10, 2009, 12:43 PM
Just take it the your nearest Apple Store and explain your situation as a couple of posters have said. Youll most definately have to pay a small fee for their time but it will save your DVD drive from becomin totally useless.
Good Luck!!!

I don't think they were trying to be rude. Me, on the other hand, would have said something like "You could have used the manual, or common sense for that matter. What moron needs a manual to see that a slot loading drive doesn't take mini-cd's?"

But that's just me.

Bwilky
Feb 10, 2009, 01:35 PM
I don't see why the OP would be charged for this service. He is still under warranty.

bartelby
Feb 10, 2009, 02:07 PM
I don't see why the OP would be charged for this service. He is still under warranty.

Because it's not a manufacturing problem. It's user error...

Jeffrosproto
Feb 10, 2009, 02:34 PM
Take it to the Apple Store.

What I don't get is why Apple doesn't place a slot-loading drive somewhat like the wii's that accepts both the regular sized dvds and the camcorder-sized dvds.

bartelby
Feb 10, 2009, 02:37 PM
Take it to the Apple Store.

What I don't get is why Apple doesn't place a slot-loading drive somewhat like the wii's that accepts both the regular sized dvds and the camcorder-sized dvds.

How thick is that drive though?

PlaceofDis
Feb 10, 2009, 02:40 PM
How thick is that drive though?

it is thicker and they own the patents on it and aren't licensing it either afaik. its all Nintendo's intellectual property there.

LucyFM
Feb 10, 2009, 05:03 PM
I did that too. I just shut it down and closed it and gently shook it and the disc fell straight out, it wasn't pushed right in though.

cjsmx65
Feb 10, 2009, 05:56 PM
this happened to my friend's whitebook. It was in enough that he just couldnt grab it with his fingers. He turned it on its side and the disc fell right our:p

Nobita
Feb 10, 2009, 06:02 PM
this happened to my friend's whitebook. It was in enough that he just couldnt grab it with his fingers. He turned it on its side and the disc fell right our:p

Has the OP tried this? Maybe if you turned on its side and eject it using the terminal (I forgot the command), It'll fell out... Nothing to lose right?

Eddyisgreat
Feb 10, 2009, 06:06 PM
the wii, which has a slot loading drive, accepts mini disks (for gamecube compatability) but i don't think it supports those silly business card CD's. This could have been implemented on apple's part but the cost to put in this functionality trump its obscurity.

MsHotness
Feb 11, 2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks to all who had actual suggestions. I was able to dislodge the disk by turning off the computer, turning it on its side, and gently tapping. The disk came out far enough that I was able to get it with a pair of tweezers and pull it out. The drive works fine and the disk is not scratched.

For whomever likened loading a CD to changing out the hard drive, that's one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time. Thanks for the laugh.