Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Hey all,

I am a recent switcher from mac to PC - I still love Apple, the Macintosh brand, OS X, and iPods, I just really like upgrading and gaming, so it fit my needs.

Anyways, my new Dell Studio XPS has come with Vista x64, but I installed XP x64, because I really like XP. Now, I am wondering if mayve Vista x64 would have been a better choice. Does anyone have a lot of experience with using Vista x64 as it exists today? I am wondering about application support, drivers, security, etc. Will I find it very different than XP? What I really like about XP is that I can modify just about anything I want with the hardware or software, and I don't want to lose that freedom.

Thanks for your input!

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Hey all,

I am a recent switcher from mac to PC - I still love Apple, the Macintosh brand, OS X, and iPods, I just really like upgrading and gaming, so it fit my needs.

Anyways, my new Dell Studio XPS has come with Vista x64, but I installed XP x64, because I really like XP. Now, I am wondering if mayve Vista x64 would have been a better choice. Does anyone have a lot of experience with using Vista x64 as it exists today? I am wondering about application support, drivers, security, etc. Will I find it very different than XP? What I really like about XP is that I can modify just about anything I want with the hardware or software, and I don't want to lose that freedom.

Thanks for your input!

Vista64 > XP64. XP is dead. Long dead. Let it die already. Vista64/Win7 64 is vastly superior. Driver issues are a thing of the past, and just about every app works fine with it (except the horribly coded ones). There are so many other threads that cover this already.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Vista x64 would have been a better choice. Unlike XP 64, Vista 64 has no problem running 32bit stuff. Obviously you need 64 compatible drivers but those aren't hard to find for Vista. From my experience it runs really well.

XP is dead. Long dead. Let it die already. Vista64/Win7 64 is vastly superior.
However, there's something to be said with how lightweight and - dare I say it - Snappy XP can be. It just depends on what you use Windows for. As a Mac user who only uses it for gaming and spends a minimal time in Windows, I think XP is still good. I've used Vista and XP at varying times on my MP and have recently settled on XP SP3 (32bit of course). It boots faster and takes up barely any disk space, though it's still a bitch to install no, scratch that — Vista is more of a PITA to install as the installer refuses to work unless I remove the extra HDDs from my Mac.

If I were using Windows full time on a PC I'd go with Vista, but I'm not, and this is the Windows on a Mac forum after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.