PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 4G Concept Is Son of MacBook Air and iPod Touch

MacBytes
Feb 10, 2009, 11:27 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Photoshop and Concept Designs
Link: iPhone 4G Concept Is Son of MacBook Air and iPod Touch (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090210122717)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

DavieBoy
Feb 10, 2009, 11:43 AM
I dont understand why they say iPhone 4G. I was under the impression that the 3G in iPhone 3G was to show that it had 3rd Generation internet. How can someone with such good photoshop skills get confused.

It is not the third generation iPhone...

I do like the pictures though, but I think that when Apple releases another phone they will name it for whatever new great function it has. So if it did have a iChat app with video conferencing maybe they would call it the iPhone Chat or iPhone Video...

The same way they did with the iPods all those years ago...

Anyone else want to weigh in?

CaryMacGuy
Feb 10, 2009, 12:02 PM
I think that Apple could be very successful if they were to release something like this to the masses. There is going to need to be a new out of this world feature in the next iPhone to make it worth it to people.
I think a video camera on the front could do that for people but unless iChat is rethought, the video-to-video will only work with Mac and other iPhone users. GPS needs to be expanded natively and of course all the things that should have been there on day one (copy/paste, MMS, voice dialing, etc)

t0mat0
Feb 10, 2009, 12:06 PM
3rd version iPhone. Heck, the iPhone 3G was ~3.5G, with the next version expected to be >3.5G. easier to call it by version imo as "generation" is linked with 3G.

Niiro13
Feb 10, 2009, 12:06 PM
It looks like I can snap that thing in half with one hand...

Looks nice, though. Too bad they have yet to come out with an iChat (non-AV) for the current iPhone/iPod touch users. It'd be a lot nicer looking and of course be silent in the background. BeeJive's nice (what I use) but I don't really like the icon and just the overall layout. No one whom I let use my iPhone knows what BeeJive is.

Peace
Feb 10, 2009, 12:07 PM
It's also too bad the front side camera is located right where your ear goes.

mainstreetmark
Feb 10, 2009, 12:09 PM
I don't really have that much interest in a forward facing camera, if it also has a rear-facing camera. Whenever I'm away from my computer, and I happen to be in a mythical video chat, I doubt I'd be wanting the camera pointed at me, rather than my environment. Every time someone videotapes something it's always of something else or someone else, with a voice narration.

But, there would be a use. Taking pictures of yourself. Right now, I have to sort of remember where the take-pic button is, and sort of listen for the click, and then remember to hold still for another 2 seconds.

sanPietro98
Feb 10, 2009, 12:10 PM
I thought the plastic back on the iPhone 3G was supposed to improve reception. I doubt they would revert to a metal back.

CaryMacGuy
Feb 10, 2009, 12:20 PM
I thought the back still looked plastic.

LloydBraun89
Feb 10, 2009, 12:53 PM
that thing is really ugly.

bondsbw
Feb 10, 2009, 01:19 PM
It's not ugly. But, I have high doubts about the tapering back side. One of the best things about the iPhone 3G (coming from a 1st-gen iPhone user) is that the back side is curved to fit your hands. I love holding an iPhone 3G; the flatter 1st-gen just doesn't want to stay in your hands.

I'd go for a larger screen. It would either need to be the same pixel resolution as the current models (for App compatibility), or there would need to be an SDK update and backwards compatibility of some kind.

ipoppy
Feb 10, 2009, 01:20 PM
...So if it did have a iChat app with video conferencing maybe they would call it the iPhone Chat or iPhone Video...

..or just simply iPhone AV:cool:

that thing is really ugly.

OMG...if thats ugly how would you call iPhone 3G then?....Sorry I think you got lack of sense of perception.;)

Demosthenes X
Feb 10, 2009, 01:45 PM
Would someone please explain the point of video chat on a phone? Sorry, but having to hold the phone two feet in front of your face would really defeat the purpose of having a portable phone, no? Imagine walking down the street while on a video call? Not going to happen. Even if you didn't look like a complete idiot to passers-by, you would look like an idiot to the person on the other end, since it'd be impossible to hold the phone steady while talking on it.

There are uses for video chat, no doubt. But I see very little use for mobile video chat on a cell phone, except perhaps for a select few people who travel a lot but need video conferencing from their hotel or whatever, and don't have a laptop. For them, an small stand and a front-facing camera could be a real benefit.

But for the other 99% of the population? Video chat on a cell phone kind of defeats the purpose of it being a portable phone, doesn't it?

ipoppy
Feb 10, 2009, 02:03 PM
Would someone please explain the point of video chat on a phone?

1. Its coooool
2. I need that when my wife occupying my MBP
3. I need when I want to speak to my family once I am out (it does not mean i have to walk to speak;))
4. Speak to my family overseas when I am out with my kids in park etc. (great to show that for grandparents in live chat :D)
5. Business trip as you mentioned.
...and I cant think of any other normal live situations, where iPhone AV will be useful.
iPhone is not for pro users, its made for ordinary people for their day-to-day tasks and thats why video conferencing can be as interesting for them as SMS these days.

Not going to happen.

Do you want a bid?;)

t0mat0
Feb 10, 2009, 02:48 PM
Would someone please explain the point of video chat on a phone? Sorry, but having to hold the phone two feet in front of your face would really defeat the purpose of having a portable phone, no? Imagine walking down the street while on a video call? Not going to happen. Even if you didn't look like a complete idiot to passers-by, you would look like an idiot to the person on the other end, since it'd be impossible to hold the phone steady while talking on it.

There are uses for video chat, no doubt. But I see very little use for mobile video chat on a cell phone, except perhaps for a select few people who travel a lot but need video conferencing from their hotel or whatever, and don't have a laptop. For them, an small stand and a front-facing camera could be a real benefit.

But for the other 99% of the population? Video chat on a cell phone kind of defeats the purpose of it being a portable phone, doesn't it?

Put aside thinking about 2 way video streams. Think 1 way stream of video, you point camera, it records, and streams, with potential for 2 way audio. I'd bet video recording, will come, Qik/Kyte functionality (very) soon after. I'd imagine Apple might not have a front facing cam in the next version. Doesn't stop them from dong other things with it.

You could

bobsentell
Feb 10, 2009, 04:20 PM
I don't think there is a lot to update with the iPhone. The iChat is interesting, but it would only be successful if AT&T allows it's network space to be eaten up by it. Otherwise, I think iPhone 3.0 will just have hardware improvements: faster processor, more storage, etc, and maybe a way to turn on and off background processes.

But as for an iPhone with iChat, you think the battery sucks now.....

Drumjim85
Feb 10, 2009, 04:28 PM
It still has to be thick enough for both the dock connector and the headphone jack. I don't see the iPhone getting much thinner anytime soon. (and I'm not sure i would want it any thinner)

ipoppy
Feb 10, 2009, 04:34 PM
Put aside thinking about 2 way video streams. Think 1 way stream of video, you point camera, it records, and streams, with potential for 2 way audio. I'd bet video recording, will come, Qik/Kyte functionality (very) soon after. I'd imagine Apple might not have a front facing cam in the next version. Doesn't stop them from dong other things with it.

You could

errrm...front camera is coming:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/02/iphone_patent_p.html

.... Otherwise, I think iPhone 3.0 will just have hardware improvements: faster processor, more storage, etc, and maybe a way to turn on and off background processes.

But as for an iPhone with iChat, you think the battery sucks now.....

Hardware is coming:
http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/01/08/iphone-30-quadcore-processors/

:D:D:D

Peace
Feb 10, 2009, 04:41 PM
Apple could make the iChat app to run only over WiFi. As far as user base I can see people sitting around on the couch and using iChat on the phone. I have a uni-body Macbook sitting on the coffee table but find myself picking up the iPhone to do stuff. Having a chat while sitting on a bus is another way. There's more I'm sure.

t0mat0
Feb 10, 2009, 05:19 PM
errrm...front camera is coming:

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/02/iphone_patent_p.html

Hardware is coming:
http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/01/08/iphone-30-quadcore-processors/

:D:D:D

A patent doesn't equal an Apple product coming. Same goes for sketches.
Seen any of these recently?

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2009/01/fantastic-apple.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zacislost/3212684684/in/set-72157612785537412/

As for the informationweek article - he had some interesting take, but he misses out certain angles, including not having caught the updated take on Apple's patent stance for starters. So front camera could come. They could have it out for the next iPhone, but i'm just saying it's more likely video recording, streaming will come before a front facing sensor. they could do 2, or a rotating one (not handy for cases) etc.

As for hardware, that's just the tip of the Iceberg of rumors.

reverie
Feb 10, 2009, 06:57 PM
How often have you used video conferencing on your computer over the last 12 months? For me, 1 or 2 times. Add a percentage sign and you've got the likelyhood of Apple adding video calling to the iPhone.

What I expect for the next gen besides some increases in RAM and CPU speed are new software features. The iPhone is all about the software and new releases of iPhone OS are going to be able to do things that require more RAM and CPU.

What I wish for though is a dedicated photo iPhone (or iPod) that comes with a bigger lens.

DiamondMac
Feb 10, 2009, 09:51 PM
I am not as huge on Video Chat either but it would be interesting to see it

I also think we are a good bit time away from 4G as the current 3G problems are evident. Not saying 3G is bad but it is far from great in Chicago at least. Better than Edge though so I am happy

I would suspect Apple invests a good bit expanding/improving 3G rather than going to 4G

Demosthenes X
Feb 10, 2009, 11:39 PM
1. Its coooool
2. I need that when my wife occupying my MBP
3. I need when I want to speak to my family once I am out (it does not mean i have to walk to speak;))
4. Speak to my family overseas when I am out with my kids in park etc. (great to show that for grandparents in live chat :D)
5. Business trip as you mentioned.
...and I cant think of any other normal live situations, where iPhone AV will be useful.
iPhone is not for pro users, its made for ordinary people for their day-to-day tasks and thats why video conferencing can be as interesting for them as SMS these days.

Do you want a bid?;)

No bidding. Apple has a habit of doing things people (including people within Apple!) insist will never happen.

I just don't see it. Try holding your iPhone at arms length from your face and keeping it steady. It wouldn't make for a very attractive video, it's be way to shaky. Maybe in a few years when the iPhone can do iMovie 2009's "steadycam" trick on the fly, but not anytime soon.

One could put the iPhone on a stand, and then it would make a very viable two-way video chat device... but that seems to a) defeat the purpose of video chat on a cell phone, and b) go against Apple's philosophy, since you would need an accessory to use it.

*shrug*

I can see some use for streaming video, but as far as a front-facing camera for video chat, Im just don't see it as being practical.

ipoppy
Feb 11, 2009, 02:52 AM
Sorry guys but you need to be a bit more optimistic and leave details behind. I agree that new hardware rumors are "rumors" only but they will improve hardware because they have to if they thinking to improve many things including gaming side.

I really believe in iChat video in next iphone. The reason why because simply Apple cant be left behind with iPhone. As you maybe remember there where huge expectation about front camera with 3G release. This time it will be blow for Apple if that wont happen. Only hardware improvement wont keep iPhone under number 1 and honestly what else they can put there to make people happy? When buying iPhone people don't ask whats the CPU improvements or hardware improvements. What they care about is storage, look, and of course good apps.
I would be happy with:
- ichat AV
- video recording
- improve GPS for navigation system like TomTom apps ( or whatever reason that we cant see apps like that)
- better camera
- flash player
- battery improvement, which need to be done if Apple thinking about iPhone/iPod as gaming platform too.

Thats what I need at this moment. Things like copy/paste are not use for me .

jashsayani
Feb 11, 2009, 03:49 AM
It looks amazing!! Though its a little big and its impossible to make it so thing ;)

Here's another iPhone 4G concept: http://theifoneblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/dream-iphone.html

gbyrne1982
Feb 11, 2009, 05:57 AM
For me the next thing they need to improve on is the, CPU, Memory, Camera make it a higher pixel camera, added Flash support, more storage & battery and that's an improved iPhone, but iChat not sure on that one i don't really use iChat as it is so if that was on the next iPhone everyone would be trying it just to try it then the novelty will wear off and bang normal iPhone again.. Apple try to make their products fantastic (which they do) but they also try make their products so they can be used over and over again not just once. but this is Apple after all, lol

argos4000
Feb 11, 2009, 06:13 AM
Nice. Checking it now. :cool:

surferfromuk
Feb 11, 2009, 03:12 PM
Wow....if true I'm buying one...

leandromp
Feb 11, 2009, 04:11 PM
I love the first concept. Is beautiful and kinda elegant & sophisticated.

And there's people like me!, using video conferencing every day with my family. In my iphone, that would be awesome, of course, if is done right!
I would really like if apple makes an iPhone just like that.