Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
google:
External Harddrive site:forums.macrumors.com

Over seventeen thousand hits.

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
Personally, I like building my own hard drives. They're cheaper and you can choose your own brand. You can get more reliable ones like buying WD or Seagate ones.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
Seems pricy, I was at Costco, not sure if you have those, and they had the MyBook with firewire in black, 1tb for around 140$.

johndavidwright

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
Personally, I like building my own hard drives. They're cheaper and you can choose your own brand. You can get more reliable ones like buying WD or Seagate ones.

i heard seagate drives were crap. WD is ok. they have a tendency to crash if you use them a bunch. go with maxtor or lacie.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
i heard seagate drives were crap. WD is ok. they have a tendency to crash if you use them a bunch. go with maxtor or lacie.

"I heard seagate drives were crap" with absolutely no personal experience or examples is a really helpful comment. There have been issues reported with some 1TB and larger Seagate Barracuda HDs but I have a 1.5TB with the latest (fixed) firmware in an Icy Dock FW800 enclosure and have had zero issues.

Western Digital, Samsung and Maxtor are also all fine options.

Since when does Lacie make hard disks?

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009

Actually lacie and maxtor drives have caused horror stories in this family. I'll never buy them again.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

"I heard seagate drives were crap" with absolutely no personal experience or examples is a really helpful comment. There have been issues reported with some 1TB and larger Seagate Barracuda HDs but I have a 1.5TB with the latest (fixed) firmware in an Icy Dock FW800 enclosure and have had zero issues.

Western Digital, Samsung and Maxtor are also all fine options.

Since when does Lacie make hard disks?

LaCie doesn't make hard disks- they make the enclosures with "designed by Porsche" stamped into them and usually contain cheap, unreliable Maxtor drives.

I've had exactly one Seagate drive out of around two dozen fail totally on me, and even then they replaced it under the warranty with no hassle. Western digitals I don't use personally, but the rather large storage network we have at work is a combination of WD/Seagate, and they've been very reliable. I would say johndavidwright doesn't know what he is talking about- go with Seagate or WD.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
I've had exactly one Seagate drive out of around two dozen fail totally on me, and even then they replaced it under the warranty with no hassle. Western digitals I don't use personally, but the rather large storage network we have at work is a combination of WD/Seagate, and they've been very reliable. I would say johndavidwright doesn't know what he is talking about- go with Seagate or WD.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.