PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum MacBook lid shifted/slanted

yozh
Feb 10, 2009, 04:18 PM
So I had my macbook oh since day 1 announced and loved every minute :)

Today I noticed(felt really, not visual), that on 1 side the lid is bumping out a bit from the bottom part, I looked at the other side and its the opposite, also on the hinge black part I can see the actual steel hinge, I cant for the life of me remember seen this before, I never dropped it, it was always home, did anyone else see this ?

NewMacbookPlz
Feb 10, 2009, 05:08 PM
Does it wiggle back and forth? Maybe the hinge has just come loose a bit. I know on mine, there's a bit of up-and-down play when the top is less than 1cm or so from the lower body.

It's actually kind of annoying now that I think about it, heh.

yozh
Feb 10, 2009, 05:22 PM
No it doesnt move at all. Very strange, :(

aluminumapple
Feb 10, 2009, 07:14 PM
if you can try and open up and see whats wrong with it, it might cause problems later if dust gets within through it and clog up the laptop..

yozh
Feb 10, 2009, 07:18 PM
if you can try and open up and see whats wrong with it, it might cause problems later if dust gets within through it and clog up the laptop..

I would never open it up, if anything I can take it to the Apple Store, I dont think anything is going to get inside, but its very annoying to say the least

Alucardx03
Feb 10, 2009, 07:29 PM
Can you post some pictures?

acurafan
Feb 10, 2009, 07:33 PM
how do you open the macbook - from either side?

i find that users who have misaligned edges or when the top screen is not level on either edges, those people tend to open/close using the edges rather then in the middle of the laptops.

yozh
Feb 10, 2009, 08:10 PM
Here are some pics, its hard to see the lid edges, but you can clearly see the hinge

http://www.box.net/shared/hab6lp7zt9

I usually use the middle to open, never the sides, usually with a finger on the opening for the open.

yozh
Feb 11, 2009, 06:49 AM
And whats strange about this is that when its open you can still kind of see the hinge, but not as much. I cant believe I just noticed it, but I`m pretty sure it was like this all along, I just never paid any attention. Now that I did, its driving me nuts.

piimaPAKK
Feb 11, 2009, 07:45 AM
Mine has a larger cap on left corner from the hinge, always opened it from the middle and i think the cap has always been there.
If i close the lid and look at the cap level i can see the black plastic trim doesnt shut in that corner.
Its only cosmetic so whatever.

yozh
Feb 11, 2009, 08:11 AM
Mine has a larger cap on left corner from the hinge, always opened it from the middle and i think the cap has always been there.
If i close the lid and look at the cap level i can see the black plastic trim doesnt shut in that corner.
Its only cosmetic so whatever.

Well it is cosmetic, but also annoying, I`m not sure if your issue is the same as my, but do you feel that lid is sticking out on 1 side a bit more then on the other ?

yozh
Feb 11, 2009, 03:25 PM
So I looked at a couple of macbooks at the office and all seem to be normal, unlike my. I guess I should take it to the store and have them look at it. I guess I`ll have to take out my 320 HDD and my 4GB of ram. Or I can just leave with it.... Dunno, what do you guys think ?

yozh
Feb 11, 2009, 08:03 PM
Ok so I took it apart to change the RAM back to 2GB and what I found is that the black part moves, not easily but moves. This still doesnt explain about the lid it self. I decided to take it to the store and see what they will say, it doesnt hurt to try, right ?

yozh
Feb 13, 2009, 07:46 AM
I have to tell you guys I think I`m in some kind of really bad luck phase. So I switched the RAM back and was about to reinstall OSX from the DVDs. I take out the DVDs (which I never used) and the DVDs dont work, both of them, I checked my drive it works, was able to play a regular movie DVD, but no luck with Apples DVDs. So now I have to ask my friend to use his DVDs. When it rains it pours....

aluminumapple
Feb 13, 2009, 02:50 PM
lol after looking at the picture ya i guess it could be a little annoying..
im a neat freak so if i get dust on my notebook and i cant remove it it annoys me as well : S.

yozh
Feb 14, 2009, 03:09 PM
Well went to the store.

They said its normal.....

Out of 8 macbooks that I looked at 3 were the same way so... he recorded the visit, gave me new Media for the Reinstall and sent me on my way.

mousouchop
Feb 14, 2009, 03:27 PM
My lid is the same way. It "feels" like it hangs over one side more by like 1mm maybe. I can feel it, but I can't really see it so it doesn't really bother me all that much. Seeing as the Genius said it is normal I guess you shouldn't worry either. haha.

As for the black part, yes-- it is easily movable, center it or uncenter it as you wish. I think you said that you had already discovered that.

:)

Sareth
Apr 16, 2009, 04:19 PM
Sorry for the necro post but I have exactly the same quirk, left hand side has under-bite, right hand side has overbite at the front by about half a millimetre. strange thing is it seems that this is caused by the lid being at a slight angle, not off center, towards the rear of the lid the overlap reduces to nothing, maybe just a slightly off hinge mounting ?

Nintenmac
Apr 16, 2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah my unibody MBP had the same problem... I have actually had the display replaced 2 times (first was dead pixels, second was it was out of align very badly) and when I got it back on the second time it was still unaligned and I was still in the Apple Store and I asked a genius and he realigned it then and there and it took about 15 minutes. So I would recommend to get an appointment at your nearest Apple Store and ask the genius to realign your display.

Sareth
Apr 16, 2009, 04:34 PM
I asked a genius and he realigned it then and there and it took about 15 minutes.

Nice, I don't want the display replacing as it has no dead pixels and no readily visible material trapped under the screen, knowing they can do this is heartening.

youssefm
Apr 16, 2009, 10:44 PM
my macbook has the same thing.. it doesnt affect anything tho so whateverr

yozh
Jun 13, 2009, 11:48 AM
So guess what ? I sold my Late `08 model and got the new MBP 13.3 and I have the same issue again, not as much as last time but still there, I made an appointment at apple store, now debating if I should go and have it replace its not as bad as it was on the other one but still noticeable. What a luck heh