Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
FEBRUARY 9 -- "You cannot dial 911 'cause you're unhappy with your burger." That's what a police operator told a Florida man early Saturday morning when he called 911 to complain about his order at a Burger King in Boynton Beach.

As can be heard on the police recording, Jean Fortune, 66, called 911 when a Burger King employee told him that they did not have lemonade. Fortune told cops that he had placed an order for a #7 combo meal (chicken fries, French fries, and a soda for $4.49) while in the drive-thru line. But when he got to the window, Fortune was told the fast food outlet did not have lemonade. He was offered Coke, but Fortune decided instead to call police.

"Sir, come on. I know you don't seriously think that the police need to make Burger King give you food faster. I cannot believe that," said an exasperated 911 operator. She also noted, "Customer service is not a reason to call 911. 911 is if you're dying. Do you understand that?"

Fortune was charged with abuse of 911 communications, according to the Boynton Beach Police Department report.

Article link

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I'll see your jackass and raise you one dipsh*t.

Link

Authorities said a 40-year-old man was arrested for calling 911 to complain about a convenience store clerk. The man was charged with disorderly conduct and released on bond according to jail records.

Officials said a convenience store clerk called 911 early Saturday morning and told the dispatcher that a customer was threatening her because she would not sell him any more beer.

Minutes later, the man called 911 and was "abusive" to the dispatcher.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
At least it was a genuine emergency

I'll see your jackass and raise you one dipsh*t.

I don't think you can beat this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7489457.stm

Police called out to a 999 call about an unexplained object in the night sky solved the mystery straight away for their operator - "it's the Moon, over."

How about a elected offical:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7781379.stm

MP criticised for 999 boiler call

A London MP has been called "dizzy" for dialling 999 after hearing strange noises from her boiler.

Hornsey and Wood Green Liberal Democrat MP Lynne Featherstone called fire crews as a motor jammed on her boiler causing it to spark, shake and make noises.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

People are stupid, especially the stupid people.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
I can't wait to see Keith Olbermann's year-end compilation of "Oddball". Between those two handcuffed crooks who ran around opposite sides of a lamppost and this guy, it oughta be a doozy.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
This guy needs to get together with the gal who called 911 (3x) when they ran out of chicken nuggets!

NO CHICKEN NUGGETS~!!!!! OH THE HUMANITY!!!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
MP criticised for 999 boiler call

A London MP has been called "dizzy" for dialling 999 after hearing strange noises from her boiler.

Hornsey and Wood Green Liberal Democrat MP Lynne Featherstone called fire crews as a motor jammed on her boiler causing it to spark, shake and make noises.

To be honest, I have a lot of sympathy for this one. She was alone with two kids, 10pm at night, and

"The floor was shaking and the noise was so loud it was filling the street," Miss Featherstone told BBC London 94.9.

What would you do if your mum called you up in the middle of the night with the same issue and she had two kids staying with her? I'd tell her to get the fire brigade over. Without being able to look at it, and not knowing what it was, it could potentially be a very serious situation.

The fire brigade fully supported her:
A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman said: "If it's obvious that there has been an ongoing problem with the boiler, then you can call a plumber. But if your boiler suddenly starts making strange noises in the middle of the night, call the fire brigade."

Really, the only reason this is in the news is that a clueless MP from the opposing party abused his position as a chair of a fire authority to make sexist comments about her. (and directly contradicted the advice of the fire experts that he's supposed to be supporting.)

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London

Attachments

• 122124159586.gif
    122124159586.gif
    622.3 KB · Views: 460

Eanair

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
Riiiiiiight.

:rolleyes:

A lemonade shortage is definitely a total emergency. I mean, there's absolutely no way that he could have gone to another Burger King or even picked up a jug at his local grocery store!!! Oh, the horror!

I've got to say though, that I don't think the boiler call was out of line. If it was indeed shaking and making loud noises, I think it's common sense to call for urgent help. Can't boilers explode if something goes wrong? I'm not a boiler expert, but it seems that if something got messed up with valves and pressure and so on, that something nasty could happen as a result. :confused:

"It's the Moon, over." FTW. :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I went to a Jack in the Box drive-through today and ordered an Oreo shake. They said OK on the speaker, but when I got to the pickup window they told me the milkshake machine wasn't working. They didn't know that 1 minute earlier!!!?

So what did I do? I took out my iPhone and dialed 9...1.... ok, not really. I asked if they had smoothies and they did, so I got that instead. Problem solved, without any police involvement at all. It's important to leave those emergency lines clear in case Burger King is out of lemonade again and the victims need to call for help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.