Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bran

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
I'll be going somewhere there's no access to a TV. Which I need to play my PS2 on. Is there any video-in devices (for USB or Firewire) that's relatively inexpensive that will allow me to play ps2 games on my ibook g4?

TV tuner would also do the job but I really wouldn't need the tuner functions except running the video output from the PS2 into the ibook. (and sound in too)

briankonar

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
i know their are a few options, but i've heard they are somewhat dismal for video gaming performance. the reason being is their is a few second delay from the source input to the monitor, so say you hit X or whatever to shoot, you won't shoot for another 2-3 seconds on screen, not very good when your playing Grand Theft Auto and the Cops about to run you over, but your reaction time isn't fast enough to get out of the way because of the delay :eek: .

Bran

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
briankonar said:
i know their are a few options, but i've heard they are somewhat dismal for video gaming performance. the reason being is their is a few second delay from the source input to the monitor, so say you hit X or whatever to shoot, you won't shoot for another 2-3 seconds on screen, not very good when your playing Grand Theft Auto and the Cops about to run you over, but your reaction time isn't fast enough to get out of the way because of the delay :eek: .

I know this would happen for tuners that need to decode or something over say USB 2 it would give a delay. What if im using a firewire DV capturing device, is there still a significant delay.?

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004

Bran

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
LOL, $7999.

The closest thing I see that fits my need is the Formac TVR thing. It's a tad expensive at $299 USD.

Pinnacle seems to have capture devices with multiple forms of inputs priced at a bit lower but they don't seem to be supported on OS X( they dont say anything about it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.