Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t1mmclaren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
I want to get a an iMac but I am a struggling designer starting up my own business... I have been saving for a year to get a new iMac but would hate to get one now and then next week have the new iMac come out and have mine drop $1000 in price. Can anybody give me an educated guess as to when apple will be releasing a new iMac?

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
No one outside of Apple knows the answer to this. The rumors/buyer's guide suggest that one is due soon, possibly later this month or early March.

hacksaw-C87

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
Birmingham England
Don't buy yet. There's a new one coming soon, Apple have slowed their production of current iMacs which usual hints at a upgrade. Even if you have to wait 3 Months it'll be worth it.

straff2002

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
I spoke to a Mac Genius this week and they expect one released shortly because I'm buying a new one at the end of march and was told there will probably be a new one by then

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I spoke to a Mac Genius this week and they expect one released shortly because I'm buying a new one at the end of march and was told there will probably be a new one by then

Too bad he knew absolutely nothing when he said that.

If he was at any store except perhaps the 5th Avenue one, he would be making it up, as Apple doesn't tell their retail employees anything until the evening before launch when they are shipped new products.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Its going to be released tomorrow because that is what the voice inside my head told me. :)

I have been glued to this dang site waiting for new iMac and Mac Mini release info, yet I don't even want to buy one. I am just addicted to all things Apple. It's all so cool.

I hope for everyone that wants either that this is the week. But, I really think that it has to be between now and the first week of March based on all the rumors we have seen.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
My guess is that it is coming very soon as in under 14 days, possibly this week. I have no proof at all, but I bet I'm right.

t1mmclaren

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Thank you very much everybody for your insight. I might give it another month and see what is happening. If they are slowing production then I guess that would suggest that a new one would be coming soon.

arthursiew

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
SF Bay Area
We don't know. Even though the production is slowing down, it doesn't mean that there is an update. There should be one though, but we don't know when. If you really want one now, just go buy it. The iMacs are great machines.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
We Will Never Know

Here's a thing...

Ever since Steve Jobs took medical leave, I have a feeling all the new project has been put on hold.

So, it might be released once Steve Jobs returns to Apple, (if he does return)

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I'm thinking late February, but you never know.

Generally the rumors get very reliable in the few days before the release.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Apple is profiting from our desperation... I got so fed up waiting for the new Mini that I bought a MBP instead!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.