Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Hello,

I've never bought musics from Amazon. I always buy from iTunes.

Is it easy to put them into iTunes? Do I have to download the Amazon's software?

Thank you.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
there's a small amazon music utility to download (very small download), that automatically sucks your amazon purchased MP3's into itunes. it's pretty slick

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
You also need an amazon.com or amazon.co.uk account…

If you have those it is painless and easy. The little installer is only about 1MB.

I'd use it far more often if I didn't have an (irrational) aversion to MP3s.
:eek:

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
You also need an amazon.com or amazon.co.uk account…

If you have those it is painless and easy. The little installer is only about 1MB.

I'd use it far more often if I didn't have an (irrational) aversion to MP3s.
:eek:

Why the aversion to MP3s?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
In my experience after running a little test, the current Apple downloads (the 256Kb AAC files) sound considerably better than the Amazon MP3 files.

guklein

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
In my experience after running a little test, the current Apple downloads (the 256Kb AAC files) sound considerably better than the Amazon MP3 files.

I also think AAC 256Kb is better than Amazon MP3. But sometimes Amazon has great deals, low prices than iTunes.

Then I ask myself if worth buying Amazon MP3 (low price...low quality).

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah the question I typically ask myself with Amazon is if I simply want the music or something more. The iTunes version of a new release typically has a couple bonus tracks, a digital booklet, and maybe a music video. The Amazon version will have just the original album tracks, but offer it for only a couple bucks. I'd rather have the AAC files, but I have plenty of Amazon purchased tracks.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I also think AAC 256Kb is better than Amazon MP3. But sometimes Amazon has great deals, low prices than iTunes.

Then I ask myself if worth buying Amazon MP3 (low price...low quality).

The same bitrate AAC-encoded file is higher-quality than the MP3 counterpart. If you'll take a look at the actual file, AAC audio is actually MPEG-4 audio. If people would stop making crap audio players that couldn't take the newer technology, there wouldn't be any reason to not sell AAC.

As far as the whole lossy aversion, you really can't tell a difference unless you get some really good sound system. Don't forget that DVD a hugely popular format for home video and it uses compression. Blu-ray uses uncompressed audio, and it's amazingly better, but I can't tell unless I hook it up to $400 or so of speakers and audio equipment.

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
Blu-ray uses uncompressed audio, and it's amazingly better

Just for the sake of getting into semantics and to avoid confusion, it is compressed, just losslessly, unlike the compression used on audio on DVDs which is lossy. :)

Data compression is also a completely different thing than dynamic compression (the compression of loud and soft sounds), which I have seen people confuse.

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
Pretty Easy

I started buying alot more music from there over the past few months because I got tired of the DRM on iTunes. Amazon makes is very easy to download, as someone else said...the app imports right into iTunes.

I have started to get stuff from iTunes again since it is DRm free now. As for quality, I dont notice that much of a difference between the 256AAC and 256MP3, but that just me.

muldul

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2008
West Sussex, England, UK
Yeah, it works well. Though i do tend to buy my music from the iTunes store, i do buy the occasional track from amazon if it wasn't DRM free on iTunes and i needed to modify it (luckily that wont be a problem anymore). It will get you to download a program that downloads them straight into iTunes, it works really well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.