PDA

View Full Version : g4 cube - lines on boot up?

spue2001
Feb 11, 2009, 10:26 AM
my g4 cube has developed a problem , when i turn it on it displays a gray screen with dark gray horizontal lines on it . it also shows a what looks like a network symbol behind the gray lines . any ideas?:confused:

xraydoc
Feb 12, 2009, 08:45 PM
my g4 cube has developed a problem , when i turn it on it displays a gray screen with dark gray horizontal lines on it . it also shows a what looks like a network symbol behind the gray lines . any ideas?:confused:

Is it trying to network boot? How was your startup drive setting set before you shut it down the last time? Do you know that the HD your machine is attempting to boot off is good? It may have failed and the Cube may be falling back to netboot mode for some reason.

spue2001
Feb 13, 2009, 06:36 AM
just tried booting from a tiger disk , holding down c and the the screen goes to the normal installation screen just a bit blurred . so i think she needs a replacement graphics card:(

xraydoc
Feb 14, 2009, 06:45 PM
just tried booting from a tiger disk , holding down c and the the screen goes to the normal installation screen just a bit blurred . so i think she needs a replacement graphics card:(

I'd suggest a flashed GeForce 6200. They're supported by MacOS X 10.4 and 10.5, support Core Image and have a VGA and DVI connector for dual monitor support. I've got one in my Cube and runs well enough.

My Cube: 1.7GHz G4 w/ 1MB L2 cache, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, GeForce 6200, OS X 10.4.11 in a PowerCube Clear case