PDA

View Full Version : "Confirmed" - Barack Obama uses a PC.

Unspeaked
Feb 11, 2009, 11:20 AM
LINK (http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20090211/obama-im-a-pc)

Obama: I’m a PC

by Peter Kafka

I realize people have bigger things on their minds these days, but how did the blogosphere not pick up on this yesterday?

Because while it’s interesting (and important) to note that Intel has committed to spending $7 billion in the US — apparently at Barack Obama’s request — it seems that none of us Apple-obsessives noted this nugget: The President is a PC user.

The news came via Intel CEO Paul Otellini, who says he learned it from Obama first-hand.

Computerworld:

Otellini said Obama called him last night to congratulate him on company’s decision. The president “reminded me that he sees the Intel logo every morning when he opens up his laptop; I was pleased to hear that,” he noted.

Of course, almost all Apple products, including any recent laptop the company has released, are based on Intel chips, too. But none of them advertise that fact (thanks to BusinessWeek Apple guru Arik Hesseldahl for on-the-fly confirmation) the way that Windows machines do.

In other words, when Barack Obama puts down his BlackBerry and boots up his laptop, he’s using a Microsoft machine. Next crucial question: What OS?

Peace
Feb 11, 2009, 11:25 AM
Maybe he's both ? ;)

http://grahamtastic.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/obama_mac_user_01.jpg

themoonisdown09
Feb 11, 2009, 11:28 AM
You can have a PC that runs Linux and not Windows. I would guess that they're using Windows XP though.

claimed4all
Feb 11, 2009, 11:29 AM
Any conformation that the computer in the picture is actually his? and not some innocent bystanders.

Drumjim85
Feb 11, 2009, 11:31 AM
maybe he put an "intel inside" sticker on his MB....

Unspeaked
Feb 11, 2009, 11:34 AM
maybe he put an "intel inside" sticker on his MB....

He doesn't seem like the type to put stickers on his computer (which is one reason I think the photo above isn't of his own laptop - it's got a Pacman sticker).

Drumjim85
Feb 11, 2009, 11:35 AM
He doesn't seem like the type to put stickers on his computer (which is one reason I think the photo above isn't of his own laptop - it's got a Pacman sticker).

true, not likely, but just cause he sees an intel sticker every day is no proof its a pc with windows.

liquidtrend
Feb 11, 2009, 11:40 AM
i didnt know that the president is only allowed one computer. the thought of having two computers...just...creeps me out.

ive got a collection of about 13 machines under my bed with at least half of them having intel stickers.

Unspeaked
Feb 11, 2009, 11:41 AM
true, not likely, but just cause he sees an intel sticker every day is no proof its a pc with windows.

I wasn't implying that, though the article I quoted was.

Maybe the writer doesn't understand that there are computers out there that run neither Microsoft nor Apple operating systems.

The fact remains, though, that if this is correct he certainly isn't running Apple hardware and is almost certainly not running Mac OS X (I really doubt he's a Hackintosh guy!).

yoppie
Feb 11, 2009, 11:42 AM
He probably uses both.

His wife Michelle purchased a MacBook for him to keep in contact with the girls during the campaign so we know there's a mac somewhere.

EmperorDarius
Feb 11, 2009, 11:46 AM
I lost that little respect I had for him LOL.:D
No, really. I never actually had any respect for him.:p

bobfitz14
Feb 11, 2009, 11:48 AM
if anyone is gaining or losing respect towards Obama over the fact that he uses a PC, i have no respect for you.

Melrose
Feb 11, 2009, 12:06 PM
i have no respect for you.

I don't think he'll lose any sleep over that, sry...

Seriously - It's quite obvious that he would use a PC; That's what the White House uses and simply out of interest of compatibility he'd use what the rest of the people have around him..

Family stuff he'd either have to have a Mac (for video chatting with the Obamalets) or else have a PC using Skype...which would still be buggy.

Either that or Michelle doesn't know how to buy computers and just went with looks.

Antares
Feb 11, 2009, 12:10 PM
if anyone is gaining or losing respect towards Obama over the fact that he uses a PC, i have no respect for you.

I don't know. If someone uses a Mac, I always have a little more respect for that person...even if it's someone I don't like. It's part of the comradery involved with being a fellow member of the Mac community. Conversely, though, I don't respect someone less just because they don't use Macs....I'll only respect someone less if they dis on Macs.

Legolamb
Feb 11, 2009, 12:10 PM
I would seriously hope that he is not using ANY off-the-shelf kind of OS :eek:

bobfitz14
Feb 11, 2009, 12:20 PM
I don't think he'll lose any sleep over that, sry...

Seriously - It's quite obvious that he would use a PC; That's what the White House uses and simply out of interest of compatibility he'd use what the rest of the people have around him..

Family stuff he'd either have to have a Mac (for video chatting with the Obamalets) or else have a PC using Skype...which would still be buggy.

Either that or Michelle doesn't know how to buy computers and just went with looks.

i wasn't really referencing Obama, i was just trying to say (without being rude) people shouldn't solely judge some one else if they have a PC versus a Mac. because that, well, in my opinion shows some one is ill informed or just doesn't care.

just for the record, i am not trying to start an argument over this, these are my opinions.

I don't know. If someone uses a Mac, I always have a little more respect for that person...even if it's someone I don't like. It's part of the comradery involved with being a fellow member of the Mac community. Conversely, though, I don't respect someone less just because they don't use Macs....I'll only respect someone less if they dis on Macs.

eh, kinda read what i wrote above. also, i'm not losing respect towards you because what you said makes sense to me. and i am not dissing Macs by any means!

QuantumLo0p
Feb 11, 2009, 12:34 PM

Hmmm. Another reason, in a very long list, to...
:D

BigHungry04
Feb 11, 2009, 01:53 PM
That's the only reason I voted for him! Can I change my vote? :D

Unspeaked
Feb 11, 2009, 02:12 PM
That's the only reason I voted for him! Can I change my vote? :D

Ús:
Feb 11, 2009, 02:26 PM
Honestly, I couldn't give a rat's bottom. I'm sure that, like most of us, he's used both.

BigHungry04
Feb 11, 2009, 03:49 PM

But the world is going to end then! :D

iParis
Feb 11, 2009, 03:53 PM
I figured it out!
Mr. Barack Obama built a Hackintosh!!!

Unspeaked
Feb 11, 2009, 04:00 PM
But the world is going to end then! :D

But not until December, so we'll still have an election...

I figured it out!
Mr. Barack Obama built a Hackintosh!!!

I already said a little further up:

The fact remains, though, that if this is correct he certainly isn't running Apple hardware and is almost certainly not running Mac OS X (I really doubt he's a Hackintosh guy!).