Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PHISHinMA420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2002
I recently purchased a Titanium Powerbook 800 with pre-installed Airport card. I took advantage of the $100 rebate and also bought an Airport Base Station. I sold the Base Station and Card in hopes that Apple would be updating their Airport technology in July.

Any comments on my gamble? :confused:

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
Re: Predictions for the Airport at MWNY?

Originally posted by PHISHinMA420
I recently purchased a Titanium Powerbook 800 with pre-installed Airport card. I took advantage of the $100 rebate and also bought an Airport Base Station. I sold the Base Station and Card in hopes that Apple would be updating their Airport technology in July.

Any comments on my gamble? :confused:

I dont think that was good, but I dont know. They dont up date it that often, and they updated it not to long ago. MWSF will probably have a new airport, maybe with a price cut.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
thinksecret has an article saying apple will upgrade to 802.11g... meaning older cards will still be supported but speeds will be improved (along with range, i think)

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Airport is simply a product name for the industry standard technology that Apple sells for wireless currently. To find out how close the next Airport might be that contains 802.11g just do some research on 802.11g tech. I'll bet there will be other companies with such products out before Apple. While those behind 802.11g technology appreciate Apple being on their side, I doubt that Apple has a say in being the first on the block to announce such products unless they're spending big bucks to make that happen and I just don't see it.

Apple capitalized on the wireless market when it was developing and got in early. They won't be able to do that again with the likes of Dell and company aware that the market exists now.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Cappy
Airport is simply a product name for the industry standard technology that Apple sells for wireless currently. To find out how close the next Airport might be that contains 802.11g just do some research on 802.11g tech. I'll bet there will be other companies with such products out before Apple. While those behind 802.11g technology appreciate Apple being on their side, I doubt that Apple has a say in being the first on the block to announce such products unless they're spending big bucks to make that happen and I just don't see it.

Apple capitalized on the wireless market when it was developing and got in early. They won't be able to do that again with the likes of Dell and company aware that the market exists now.

Getting in early on the technology also helps them in the long run. While Dell and others are still figuring out how to implement it, Apple will be figuring out how to make it better.

Don't forget about the ever popular "Gigawire" rumor. Could be 802.11g on steroids.;) :D

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Don't forget about the ever popular "Gigawire" rumor. Could be 802.11g on steroids.;) :D

Since the market is still young I'm sure we'll see 802.11g devices on steroids but from Apple I don't know. There are already similar things happening with 802.11b devices. USRobotics is one that I seem to recall having such a device. Reminds me of the old propietary days of needing USR modems to get faster speeds to some elite bbs.

The good old days. :)

I think it would be great for Apple to have something like that which was standard for all Macs. That way they could still be industry standard but have faster speeds in their own environment.

dantec

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
California
I wouldn't have sold the base station with you. The old cards I think would be compatible with the new base station, but at the lower limited speeds. You would probably need new apple hardware to take advantage of the new speeds.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
that was silly

I mean the airport card comes with the 800 ti and the base station was only 100 buck. if you needed money really bad then you should have gotten the 667 or not spend the extra money for the basr station.

PHISHinMA420

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2002
Actually the base station was $200 ($300 minus $100 rebate). I sold it for $285. Airport card sold for $80.

I WILL have an Airport by end of Macworld.

Whether I just re-purchase what I sold or buy the new version that will hopefully be released at MWNY.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.