Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradjacob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
I've read a lot of horror stories on this topic - the infamous leaking cooling system. I was wondering two things:

1. Does Apple still fix or replace these - here in 2009?

2. What if you're NOT the original owner - has anyone out there got theirs fixed or replaced, and not been the original owner?

I just bought one on eBay and it's getting delivered today. I'm contemplating putting right back on eBay...

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
There's a few members on here that got theirs fixed/replaced for free even with no AppleCare left. One I remember was upgraded to a single quad core Mac pro for free.

Just search this site and quite a few threads will pop up. But I guess it's a gamble though, sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. I never hurts to ask politely ;).

bradjacob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
I'm really wondering if they've ever done it for people who were not the original owners :(:(

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
i think once its sold to you then it shouldn't matter.. it's yours and you are the only owner

bradjacob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
i think once its sold to you then it shouldn't matter.. it's yours and you are the only owner

I agree. I'm hoping to find someone who actually had theirs fixed (being the second owner).

I'm typing on mine now and holding my breathe. I don't like this...

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I know of someone who is not the original owner and Applecare ran out AND Apple fixed it for free two months ago.

It was a Quad. The processor blew out. Apple knows these sometimes went bad and it was their bad. If it is running fine, I wouldn't worry about it, but do periodically check for leaks and... keep the dust out AND put it on a proper power surge protector.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
There is a large section of information on xlr8yourmac.com that specifically deals that the Liquid Cooling System leakage and user's results in getting repairs/system replacements from Apple that you should be aware of should it develop problems (I assume by reading your post that you are buying one that is not currently leaking). In some cases repairs were refused, some had all repairs covered and others had the whole systems replaced with stock brand new MacPros, but I don't remember anyone noting in their reports that original or secondary ownership was an issue. One good thing about that section of info is that they also give info about two different supplier for the pumps used in the liquid cooling systems and how to i.d. them, as one is more likely to fail that the other it seems so that might help make your decision.

It is definitely worth reading-- a few months ago I gave this link to a similar question here on MR and based on the information provided and some perseverance the OP eventually obtained a replacement dual 2.8Ghz MacPro. Can't say it would work the same should yours begin leaking obviously, but check out the section here at xlr8yourmac and do a forum search for a large thread about liquid cooling system leaks for more info. And remember, just because we hear about some leaking there are still far more that have not and probably never will! I have a DP 2.7G G5 as a backup machine that has pretty much run 24/7 since I bought it in early 2005 with no hint of leak problem (knock on wood).;)

Good luck.

kingicon1

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
I'm just waiting for my G5 to start leaking.. again... its already pretty much fully been replaced once already.. bout 3 years ago.. and lately the fans run top speed most of the time... but the liquid doesn't seem to be leaking.. yet.

As far as not being the original owner.. that will not matter. How do they even know your not the original owner? Sure they can look it up, but thats just who registered it and really doesn't mean anything.

I work in a AppleCare call center.. we service the product, not customer. Which can get a bit harry when dealing with things so easily lost/stolen as a iPhone..

bradjacob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Many thanks fellas! I feel a bit more at ease now. I got my "temp- monitor" running and the chips are maintaining at around 130-150 (150 when I launch Office). So I'll keep my fingers crossed, check for leaks, hope for the best, and will politely beg for a replacement if my machine goes down. ;)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I don't buy the planned obselescense.

Apple had been working on this for a long time. Considering how most G4 towers I know of are still running.. most famously a friend of mine who has a 500mhz G4 tower from 1999 that is still his main computer -- (Sonnet 1.8ghz upgrade only ONE month ago) I have to wonder what the real issue on these is.

Dust comes to mind first of all. Dust that holds in heat. And then liquid cooling problems.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
I don't buy the planned obselescense.

Apple had been working on this for a long time. Considering how most G4 towers I know of are still running.. most famously a friend of mine who has a 500mhz G4 tower from 1999 that is still his main computer -- (Sonnet 1.8ghz upgrade only ONE month ago) I have to wonder what the real issue on these is.

Dust comes to mind first of all. Dust that holds in heat. And then liquid cooling problems.

Ummm.... I believe you probably intended to post this in the thread here- https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/650541/

They are talking about G5 failures and obsolescence in that thread, not this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.