PDA

View Full Version : If you hate elevator music you are in luck

MacNut
Feb 11, 2009, 05:52 PM
Muzak Holdings, the maker of background music heard in elevators, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Tuesday.

The company had a heavy debt load, and it filed to try to refinance some of its debt. In a court filing, the company listed its total debt at $100 million to $500 million.

The filing listed assets of less than $50,000, but a company spokeswoman, Meaghan Repko, said total assets were about $320 million. That included the Muzak operating company, she said, which also filed for bankruptcy. She declined to provide a more exact figure for the company’s total debt.

Many of Muzak’s biggest creditors are music companies that license songs for use on Muzak playlists. While the company is known as the creator of elevator music, its business is now more focused on creating playlists for use in retail stores, installing professional sound systems and providing other services.

Muzak, which is based in Fort Mill, S.C., filed for protection in the United States Bankruptcy Court in the District of Delaware in Wilmington.

The company expects to continue to operate. A statement said it had “sufficient means” to support itself through a bankruptcy reorganization.

Among its biggest unsecured creditors is U.S. Bank, which is owed $371 million according to a court filing.

The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers is owed $213,020, the filing said.

Other top unsecured creditors include vendors like Universal Music Enterprises, owed $349,321; EMI Capital Records, $320,323; AT&T, $257,384; and Dish Network, $251,276.

Sony Music, BMG Film and Television Music, United Parcel Service and Virgin Records were also listed among the unsecured creditors.

Kirkland & Ellis was hired as the company’s bankruptcy law firm. Moelis & Company will serve as the financial adviser.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/business/11muzak.html

Melrose
Feb 11, 2009, 08:15 PM
I never understood why they couldn't play some Springsteen or Zeppelin sometimes...

greg555
Feb 11, 2009, 09:42 PM
They are filing Chapter 11 which means they most likely will keep running and get to dump a lot of debt in the process. So no respite from the mellow music :)

Greg

SkyBell
Feb 11, 2009, 09:47 PM
I've never heard music in elevators before-where is this :confused:stuff?

Abstract
Feb 12, 2009, 01:08 AM

Don't worry, you're not missing out. Basically, what they do is take your least favourite songs and turn them into even more annoying midi versions. Then they play them quietly at large department stores and the like.

localoid
Feb 12, 2009, 02:07 AM
If you think Musak = elevator music your concept of Musak is about 25 years out of date. Their current playlists include material by original artists in a variety of genres (http://music.muzak.com/solutions/programs/genre/13/rock/).

teflon
Feb 12, 2009, 06:28 AM
I never knew elevators required special music :eek:...

Sun Baked
Feb 12, 2009, 06:31 AM
If you think Musak = elevator music your concept of Musak is about 25 years out of date. Their current playlists include material by original artists in a variety of genres (http://music.muzak.com/solutions/programs/genre/13/rock/).

But alas, the stores have to buy the more recent genres. Most of them turn it on and don't give it a second thought, since it is just noise to cover up the sounds in the elevator that would scare the riders.

Or they really like to use music that makes their patron want to club themselves like baby seals.

arkitect
Feb 12, 2009, 06:32 AM
You mean to say there was an actual company called Muzak out there responsible for all the crap we're forced to listen to?

And now they've gone bust?
"Hallaylooooya! There is a god and his works are indeed marvellous!!"

:D:D

schizoidwoman
Feb 12, 2009, 06:33 AM
I never understood why they couldn't play some Springsteen or Zeppelin sometimes...

They could probably sort you out with some panpipe cover versions...

Schtumple
Feb 12, 2009, 06:37 AM
I never knew elevators required special music :eek:...

It's special all right... I've never been a fan of elevator music, it's always very bland, but I guess something is better than silence when you're in close proximity with 6 other people you don't know, I swear your hearing goes hyper sensitive in lifts, you can hear EVERYTHING that someone does...

Melrose
Feb 12, 2009, 08:41 AM
They could probably sort you out with some panpipe cover versions...

LOL. When I get rich enough to buy one of those tall buildings I'll have fog machines, lazer lights and live DJs in my elevators...

Foxglove9
Feb 12, 2009, 09:11 AM
It's not just elevators they supply music to most stores that you shop in. Horrible horrible music.

snberk103
Feb 12, 2009, 09:33 AM
Don't worry, you're not missing out. Basically, what they do is take your least favourite songs and turn them into even more annoying midi versions. Then they play them quietly at large department stores and the like.

I thought they took your favourite songs, re-recorded them into a version so bland it made you nauseous, and then played it so often that you never wanted to hear it again - original version or not. :D

charlesbronsen
Feb 12, 2009, 09:35 AM
LOL. When I get rich enough to buy one of those tall buildings I'll have fog machines, lazer lights and live DJs in my elevators...

I would pay extra rent if the elevators in my apartment building were like this:D

Abstract
Feb 12, 2009, 11:06 AM
I thought they took your favourite songs, re-recorded them into a version so bland it made you nauseous, and then played it so often that you never wanted to hear it again - original version or not. :D

Perhaps the midi version of Lady Marmalade is someone's favourite song, but not mine. :o

bartelby
Feb 12, 2009, 11:08 AM
One good thing muzak gave us was 808 State's track "Lift".

ChrisA
Feb 12, 2009, 02:36 PM
Years ago when the company was up for sale. Must have been in the early 80's or before. Ted Negent who is not a fan of the company (read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Nugent ) Wanted to buy the company so he could load the building up with dynamite and blow it off the face of the Earth and create a huge smoking crater. I heard him describe it in an Interview. That would have been the best piece of "performance art" ever. He could not pull off the deal. Some kind of problem with permits and all for a kiloton class bomb

Dagless
Feb 13, 2009, 04:04 AM

You and me both.
Everywhere I go they pipe in modern pop music or (terrible) covers of the biggest hits in the last 25 years.