PDA

View Full Version : Is Longhorn Microsoft's Copland?

MacBytes
Mar 22, 2004, 04:22 AM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Is Longhorn Microsoft\'s Copland? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040322052243)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

themadchemist
Mar 22, 2004, 11:44 AM
Very insightful...I hadn't thought about it that way. But as the author said, Microsoft will release SOMETHING and spin it as if it is Longhorn and the greatest gift to mankind, instead of just admitting defeat...That's probably a smarter approach than Apple's "maybe if we just drop it and don't say anything, nobody will notice..."

shamino
Mar 22, 2004, 01:23 PM
If Microsoft really wants to follow Apple's example, then Longhorn will get delayed, delayed and eventually canceled, to be replaced with the Windows API/UI re-hosted on top of UNIX. :D

That would be a most delicious irony, and not impossible, given Microsoft's vocal desire (and inability) to eliminate Linux as a competitor.

I'm not saying that I believe this will actually happen, but if it does, you heard it here first. :D

aethier
Mar 22, 2004, 08:26 PM
interesting read, though as a mac user i am always curious of the competition, so i tried longhorn build 4051, and am in the process of downloading 4053, and it is not that bad. it is a lot nicer, and better looking then the windows we are used to, though it still feels simular (start menu etc) in anycase the gui it has now isn't the one that will be going into the final candidate, lets not forget, it is still an alpha. and an alpha that is showing potential to evolve into something mac users are used to.. a not horrible OS. oh and the new animation it does when you press control alt delete sure is cool, and fun to do over and over when bored.

anyways... i am not about to switch to windows, i love macs, as you can see in my profile, but as alpha;s go that one isn;t too bad (though it did crash a few times) and when i compair it to the copland DR2 that i got two days ago that i still can't install because i am too lazy to hook up to old school macs required for installation (one running the debugger, the other copland) so the concept of the project is simular to copland, but as progress goes...

anyways i love macs and can;t wait for 10.4, 10.5 , and eventually OS 11.

aethier

winmacguy
Mar 23, 2004, 02:03 AM
anyways i love macs and can;t wait for 10.4, 10.5 , and eventually OS 11.

aethier

Very interesting and unbiased comments aethier. It will be interesting to compare what ever the current Mac OS is with Longhorn when it finally arrives.................................

Savage Henry
Mar 23, 2004, 02:39 AM
When I first read the title I liked the idea that Longhorn was going to be as good as that film with Stallone and DeNero. And like that movie, it'll come out.

There will be three camps:

1. Those who love it and see it being the second coming of OS (Small percentage)

2. Those who finally chose the Mac platform because they are so tied of the virus and patches (Sadly, another samll percentage)

3. Those who have to use it whether they want to or not and just with the flow of the other sheep (Staggeringly large percentage)

MrMacMan
Mar 23, 2004, 09:40 PM
aethier -- Did they fix WinFS?

I heard the previous builds had WinFS killed and dead and they were in the process of fixing it... is this true?

Longhorn is coming llaatterr... they keep speaking of Windows Reloaded or Interium XP...

Whatever... rebrand of crap.