PDA

View Full Version : PPC G5's dying....lots of them ?

cxi2001
Feb 12, 2009, 05:44 AM
There seems to be a lot of G5's having logic board / processor problems over on the Apple discussion and Macworld forums, all have happened recently, all displaying the same symptoms, including mine.

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=596

Why now ?

Tallest Skil
Feb 12, 2009, 05:47 AM
Why now ?

One word: Gainestown. :cool:

:rolleyes:

Fomaphone
Feb 12, 2009, 06:03 AM
There seems to be a lot of G5's having logic board / processor problems over on the Apple discussion and Macworld forums, all have happened recently, all displaying the same symptoms, including mine.

Why now ?

mine was 4 and a half years old, and used intensively for HD video. it died a natural death.

MacBoobsPro
Feb 12, 2009, 06:06 AM
Ok now im scared. :eek: My PMG5 has started to panic upon startup, latest one was last night. I put it down to it being in the attic and being very cold up there. Maybe there is more too it than that? :(

AdeFowler
Feb 12, 2009, 06:06 AM
Mine's just over 4 years old and still going strong, but now I've gone and cursed it :o

cxi2001
Feb 12, 2009, 06:22 AM
I know computers die, go wrong, sometimes explode, but it just seems odd that a large amount of people are having almost the same symptoms over a specific period (Jan to Feb).

California
Feb 12, 2009, 08:46 AM
One word: Gainestown. :cool:

:rolleyes:

What part is Gainestown on the PMG5?

Eidorian
Feb 12, 2009, 08:50 AM
Coolant leaks are popular on the liquid cooled G5s.

Tallest Skil
Feb 12, 2009, 08:54 AM
What part is Gainestown on the PMG5?

No, no. It's just planned obsolescence.

Apple made the PowerMac G5 to fail RIGHT before the release of the Gainestown Mac Pro. :D;)

tompon1923
Feb 12, 2009, 09:05 AM

Apple made the PowerMac G5 to fail RIGHT before the release of the Gainestown Mac Pro. :D;)

Are you obsessed much? :D

Too bad i can't afford one....

I do my video editing on my G5 and it is still going to strong after 5 years of labor... I have a bright future planned for my trusted G5....

Tallest Skil
Feb 12, 2009, 09:06 AM
Are you obsessed much? :D

Too bad i can't afford one....

Yes, I am.

Too bad that I can't anymore, either. :(

Chuck Fadanoid
Feb 12, 2009, 09:23 AM
Does anyone know how many G5s were sold in total? Is there anywhere to find out that kind of information?

I suppose Apple keeps its fail rates secret, but it'd be interesting to compare percentage fail rates of G5s to other lines. Anecdotal evidence suggests G5s are more fail-prone than others, but anecdotal evidence is worthless as evidence.

ibglowin
Feb 12, 2009, 09:45 AM
Mine has been experiencing the lock up / roaring turbo fans for about the last 4 months. Sometimes it would go a week without any problems sometimes only a day or two. I finally reset the PRAM (2) weeks ago and its been happy ever since (knocks on wood.....)

Fomaphone
Feb 12, 2009, 09:54 AM
Mine has been experiencing the lock up / roaring turbo fans for about the last 4 months. Sometimes it would go a week without any problems sometimes only a day or two. I finally reset the PRAM (2) weeks ago and its been happy ever since (knocks on wood.....)

i did that on mine, too. when the issue started again (after about two weeks) the computer was also making a sound that sounded something akin to change in a garbage disposal, or a small piece of metal falling through a scrap pile. i never did figure out what that problem was before the system died completely... it was almost as though a loose screw was zipping around inside the machine, propelled by fans or magnetism, though. truly the strangest sound i've ever heard a computer make.

i removed drives, cleaned everything, googled everything i could think of and it persisted. after about another week and one fateful HD-to-SD encode later, the computer expired.

rockinrocker
Feb 12, 2009, 10:36 AM
mine was 4 and a half years old, and used intensively for HD video. it died a natural death.

Hmmm, I kinda think a well designed computer (properly cared for) should last a lot longer than 4 years.....
Regardless of how hard you're working it.

Derek87
Feb 12, 2009, 10:49 AM

Why now ?

it does seem like a strange and sad coincidence, doesn't it?

sigh...i just ordered a quad core xeon (single 2.8) because after nearly a month of not having my dual G5, i really found myself unable to do what i normally in "normal life." wish i could wait for the next generation but the end decided i just had to buy and be happy with what i am getting.

mine last about 4.5 years...i really hope this new MacPro will last longer than that.

if my dual G5 hadn't died, i anticipated keeping it at least 1.5 more years if not more. it did more than i needed it to do and i think only 10.7 would be a reason that i would upgrade down the road...

Yvan256
Feb 12, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hmmm, I kinda think a well designed computer (properly cared for) should last a lot longer than 4 years.....
Regardless of how hard you're working it.

I have a Tandy MC-10, a Tandy CoCo3, a Commodore 64, a Tandy 1000 RLX. Those are nearly two decades old computers and they all run fine.

You should see the Tandy 1000 RLX... I replaced its 20MB hard drive with a CompactFlash card. That computer is now screaming fast! :eek:

nick9191
Feb 12, 2009, 11:57 AM
I smell an iBook G3 style lawsuit ;)

ggg05a
Feb 12, 2009, 05:10 PM
I don't understand why so many of ya'll are concerned. Most of these things are 4 1/2 to 5 years old. If a PC lasted this long under similar conditions some would be jumping for joy.

My 2 cents.

--Garrett

NoNameBrand
Feb 12, 2009, 05:36 PM
Mine's five years old and has been on 24x7 during that time. Still works great.

sporadicMotion
Feb 12, 2009, 05:42 PM

Took the words right out of my mouth.

California
Feb 12, 2009, 08:08 PM
As I wrote in another thread, I somehow don't buy the planned failure rate on the G5's.

Mine run perfect and quiet and wonderfully.

Dust that holds in heat may be an issue that also can affect the logic boards.

This is the other issue I am guessing besides the G5's that have liquid cooling but I'm somehow guessing it is a dust issue at the heart of it.

I could be dumb and sentimental but when these babies work they work.

Mentioned on another thread that a friend's G4 500mhz tower from 1999 was his main computer until a month ago when he put in a 1.8ghz Sonnet upgrade.
That thing has more years in it yet.

The G5s also have that power issue because they suck so much juice -- make sure your G5s are on surge protectors...

sporadicMotion
Feb 12, 2009, 09:47 PM
As I wrote in another thread, I somehow don't buy the planned failure rate on the G5's.

Mine run perfect and quiet and wonderfully.

Dust that holds in heat may be an issue that also can affect the logic boards.

This is the other issue I am guessing besides the G5's that have liquid cooling but I'm somehow guessing it is a dust issue at the heart of it.

I could be dumb and sentimental but when these babies work they work.

Mentioned on another thread that a friend's G4 500mhz tower from 1999 was his main computer until a month ago when he put in a 1.8ghz Sonnet upgrade.
That thing has more years in it yet.

The G5s also have that power issue because they suck so much juice -- make sure your G5s are on surge protectors...

I think it was intended more as sarcasm that anything as far as the precise timing goes... however, planned obsolescence is a normal practice. I learned about it in my Engineering program and friends of mine in the auto industry learned about it as well. Things are not made to last.

DevDem
Feb 12, 2009, 10:43 PM
Just brought my G5 in for it's second replacement. The first one lasted two months and this latest one last the same amount of time. I'm a bit frustrated since I baby my machine.

sporadicMotion
Feb 12, 2009, 10:47 PM
Just brought my G5 in for it's second replacement. The first one lasted two months and this latest one last the same amount of time. I'm a bit frustrated since I baby my machine.

Those time lines confuse me.

Fomaphone
Feb 12, 2009, 11:43 PM
anybody know where i can find some benchmarks that i can use to see how much faster the new top-model Gainestown will be than my june '04 dual 2.5 PPC was?

basing it on no data in particular, i'm guessing about 5x faster in video editing applications... but considering that FCP will be rewritten for snow leopard and that i'll finally buy cs4 for After effects with with snow leopard, who knows.

i'll probably start with 6gb if i can't swing 12... my last machine had 6.5

http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/1512/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/macpro/img/mac_pro_specs.gif

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP80 <- specs for g5

California
Feb 13, 2009, 08:41 AM
There is a list of benchmarks somewhere out there -- i'll try to find the link.

Basically, the PM G5 quad topped the list of even newish mac laptops but was still much slower than the mac pros.

I suppose all the things I don't understand about PowerPC architecture come into play with PPC vs. Intel on the apps you are talking about but still, i love my G5s. Plenty snappy for my needs.

rockinrocker
Feb 13, 2009, 10:27 AM
I think it was intended more as sarcasm that anything as far as the precise timing goes... however, planned obsolescence is a normal practice. I learned about it in my Engineering program and friends of mine in the auto industry learned about it as well. Things are not made to last.

There's a difference between planned obsolescence and crappy design.
The entire computer industry is built around planned obsolescence, but that doesn't mean a well designed computer should only last a couple years. Any well built CPU should last decades if properly cared for, regardless of whether it's obsolete or not.

FF_productions
Feb 13, 2009, 11:25 AM
I have a PC going on 7 years old, you can't tell me that it is acceptable that a $3000 pro-grade PowerMac G5 is only supposed to live a certain amount of time. That's HORRIBLE design flaws by Apple and they should take responsibility for it.

California
Feb 13, 2009, 11:51 AM
I have a PC going on 7 years old, you can't tell me that it is acceptable that a $3000 pro-grade PowerMac G5 is only supposed to live a certain amount of time. That's HORRIBLE design flaws by Apple and they should take responsibility for it.

From my experience, Apple has taken care of even out of warranty G5 towers. I am like everyone else, confused about the breakdown rate but am betting it is a dust and heat or liquid cooling issue every time.

Kashchei
Feb 13, 2009, 12:24 PM
I stumbled upon this thread yesterday and started to wonder since I have a dual 2.0 G5 in my office bought Oct. 2005. I had had no problems with the machine until this morning when I walked into my office to find it frozen up and with the fans blowing at top speed. Is resetting the PRAM the best thing to do?

kjs862
Feb 13, 2009, 12:40 PM
I still use my Power Mac G5 as my day to day machine and it runs like brand new. No problems with it at all, although it can use a new screen refresh. My 30 ACD is looking very grainy compared to my 20 alu imac.

rockinrocker
Feb 13, 2009, 01:17 PM
I stumbled upon this thread yesterday and started to wonder since I have a dual 2.0 G5 in my office bought Oct. 2005. I had had no problems with the machine until this morning when I walked into my office to find it frozen up and with the fans blowing at top speed. Is resetting the PRAM the best thing to do?

it's a thing to do....
might try resetting the SMC too.

Akula971
Feb 13, 2009, 01:27 PM
All electronic devices have an MTBF (mean time before failure) figure. A product that is designed correctly will be designed to meet a number of hours service in a particular environment. They may use a MIL standard or Belcore standard to assess it. If a manufacturer wants a device to last longer, they have to be "kinder" to it. Derate it more or put in a better part (costs more). The enemies of electronic components are mainly heat and electrical shock. So if you want your product to last longer, then keep it cool and leave it running on a nice clean supply. Simple? is it not?

So all your G5's are just dying of old age, like everything else. Those that where well looked after and not treated badly will last longer, and the rest? well......

bumzo1
Feb 13, 2009, 04:41 PM
with the planned G5 fail thing I think they did it right before the launch of the Gainstown MP so that people would rush out and buy whats leftover of the current mac Pro so that when they launch the new one they arent stuck with a bunch of $3000 computers that they will have to sell for less than what they are worth.

RedTomato
Feb 13, 2009, 05:09 PM
I have (or had till I gave it away last year) a PC that I built myself, and I guess it was about 10 years old (AMD 700mhz, bought just about when the first 1ghz procs came out). Worked perfectly well when i checked it before giving it away. Inc the original 30GB drive. Win 98 SE nice and fast, but hadn't used it for years.

Still have a B+W Power Mac (looking to give it away now) works perfectly well. That's 10 years old for sure (aquired it a couple of years ago). Runs Tiger OSX 10.4.11 fine with 1GB ram.

Still have a 5-year old PowerBook 15'', now with the latest Leopard 10.5.6 and 1.5GB ram, still works fine, and still use it for watching DVDs and sometimes as a household server. Dead firewire ports, but fine apart from that. Last time used it yesterday to watch a DVD with my girlfriend.

scottlinux
Feb 14, 2009, 08:26 PM

Why now ?

A lot of these things sounds power related. I am wondering if it's just bad power supplies reaching their EOL.

If a power supply lasts 5 years after constant use that is pretty good- no matter what model or brand of computer.

Digital Skunk
Feb 14, 2009, 09:07 PM
I still use my Power Mac G5 as my day to day machine and it runs like brand new. No problems with it at all, although it can use a new screen refresh. My 30 ACD is looking very grainy compared to my 20 alu imac.

Same here. My 20" ACD was replaced by a 23" a few months ago, but it's still ticking just fine, keeping pace with my 17" MBP pretty well on many tasks.

The logic board did need replacing after the first year however, but since then it's been fine. A workhorse in the greatest since of the word. I know once I replace it with a Mac Pro sometime late this year or early next, I will still have it around the house for some purpose.

grue
Feb 14, 2009, 09:42 PM

…your IPS panel is looking worse than a dogcrap quality TN panel?

The iMac might look prettier because it's shiny, but the 20" panel used in them is fourth-rate.