PDA

View Full Version : Dead body wanted to star in show

iGav
Mar 22, 2004, 08:24 AM
We haven't had a response from any of the hospices yet, but we have had a couple of fit and healthy people come forward to offer their services in the event of them having an accident or whatever.

okay... :eek: :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/3557121.stm

teabgs
Mar 22, 2004, 09:01 AM
you know....they can MAKE a "dead" body and from the seats anyone would be in it wouldn't really make a difference. they do it in movies all the time....

WTF? they're just using a gimmick to sell some tix me thinks.

whatever.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 22, 2004, 09:12 AM
I heard somewhere and don't know who or the details - but a producer/actor/director (not sure which) donated his skull to a theater with the intent that when ever a skull was needed in production, his would be used. I think specifically for Hamlet (Yorick) :D

D

Hemingray
Mar 22, 2004, 10:24 AM
Sounds a bit Monty Pythonesque to me... ;)

Interviewer: An excerpt from Carl French's latest film. Carl, we are all a little mystified by your claim that your new film stars Marilyn Monroe...
French: It does, yes.
Interviewer: ...who died over ten years ago.
French: That's correct.
Interviewer: Are you lying?
French: No, no, it's just that she is very much in the public eye, at the moment.
Interviewer: Does she have a big part?
French: She is the star of the film.
Interviewer: And... dead.
French: Well, we...we dug her up, and gave her a screen test - a mere formality, in her case - and..eh..
Interviewer: Can she still act?
French: Well, well, she..she still has this...this enourmous..eh..kind of..eh..indefineable...eh. No.
Interviewer: Was..eh..decomposition a problem?
French: We did have to put her in the fridge between takes.
Interviewer: What sort of things does she do in the film?
French: Well, we...we had her lying on beds, lying on floors, falling out off cupboards, scaring the children...
Interviewer: But surely miss Monroe was cremated.
French: Well...eh...we had to use a stand-in for some of the more visible shots.
Interviewer: Ah, another actress.
French: Dead actress. But Monroe was in shot the whole time.
Interviewer: How?
French: Oh, in..eh..in the ashtray, in the firegrate, in the vacuum cleaner...
Interviewer: So Marylin does not appear in the film?
French: Not as such.

MongoTheGeek
Mar 22, 2004, 11:17 AM
I heard somewhere and don't know who or the details - but a producer/actor/director (not sure which) donated his skull to a theater with the intent that when ever a skull was needed in production, his would be used. I think specifically for Hamlet (Yorick) :D

D

There are these among others

http://www.gabrielegan.com/publications/Egan2001h.htm
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/WolfFiles/wolffiles74.html

wdlove
Mar 22, 2004, 01:47 PM
Donating ones body to science benefits humanity. It helps to train our doctors like arn. A donation like this would only go to the benefit of lining anothers pocket.

Flowbee
Mar 22, 2004, 02:02 PM
Donating ones body to science benefits humanity. It helps to train our doctors like arn.

So, can I donate my spleen to MacRumors? I don't see a box on the back of my driver's license for that. :confused:

wdlove
Mar 22, 2004, 02:34 PM
So, can I donate my spleen to MacRumors? I don't see a box on the back of my driver's license for that. :confused:

My understanding is that you can designate which organ that you want to donate. At least in the hospital when the family signed the consent that could choose which organs to donate.

rainman::|:|
Mar 22, 2004, 05:01 PM
well i for one think this is quite interesting. i love the idea of challenging the taboos surrounding death, and i think having an authentic corpse would most effectively do that... obviously it has a big grotesque value, and sure it'll be high-publicity because of the corpse, but i don't think that was the intention here. if i was in a hospice, i'd certainly do it.

and sure, it'd be better if the body went for organ donation, but maybe the person who finally donates their body wouldn't have donated it to medicine. Also, if the show is true to it's aim of reducing the taboo, it could be a great conversation starter on the subject of organ donation, and it may spur people in the audience (as well as those that simply hear about it) to consider it.

paul

rainman::|:|
Mar 22, 2004, 05:09 PM
My understanding is that you can designate which organ that you want to donate. At least in the hospital when the family signed the consent that could choose which organs to donate.

You're correct, my grandfather, for instance, only donated his corneas after consulting a physician on the condition and viability of his other major organs.

Now, an important note: just because you have "organ donor" checked on your license, does NOT mean you're an organ donor! It's simply there as a way to determine the immediate care your body receives. To be an actual organ donor, one must get a separate form and fill it out, i'm not sure if you keep the card or mail it somewhere, but that form is what actually makes you a donor. If you've not filled out the form, and you die, your body will not be harvested. So, if you want to be a donor and have not filled out such a form, go do it now!

this is a mistake a lot (and i do mean a LOT) of people make, and it's very sad. Sometimes they do a good job of warning you at the DMV, most often they don't...

paul

kiwi_the_iwik
Mar 23, 2004, 02:18 AM
Jeeez - how silly.

And the director's wondering why no-one's turned up to the auditions...

...NEWSFLASH, pal -

THEY'RE DEAD!!! THEY CAN'T MOVE!!!

:p

Things you're unlikely to hear on set during rehearsal:

"OK - What's my motivation, here?!?"

"I'm surrounded by incompetence! I'll be in my coffin..."

(Director) "NO, darling. Give me MORE angst - MORE aggression. That's it! MORE... NOW! From the TOP everyone, PL-EEESE! - PLACES!!!! (corpse remains unmoved...)

(Agent) "There's 3 auditions next week that I'd like you to attend - they're not speaking roles, but good exposure, nonetheless..."

(Agent) "I KNOW you've been typecast, but it's the role of a lifetime..."

(Fellow Actors) "Oh, my God - that guy's good. Such a natural. Lucky stiff..."

Things you're LIKELY to hear on set during rehearsal:

"What stinks?"

Bloody thespians...

:rolleyes:

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 01:43 PM
and sure, it'd be better if the body went for organ donation, but maybe the person who finally donates their body wouldn't have donated it to medicine.

I don't think anything would preclude organ donation prior to "involvement" with the show.

MongoTheGeek
Mar 23, 2004, 03:58 PM
I don't think anything would preclude organ donation prior to "involvement" with the show.

From the sounds of it they want embalmed bodies and organ donation can be rather rough on a corpse.

After the show the body could very well be used for medical students(or sold off for parts by UCLA :eek: )

If the person is in a hospice there is a reasonable chance that they are a cancer patient and therefor are ineligible to donate.

wdlove
Mar 23, 2004, 07:25 PM
From the sounds of it they want embalmed bodies and organ donation can be rather rough on a corpse.

After the show the body could very well be used for medical students(or sold off for parts by UCLA :eek: )

If the person is in a hospice there is a reasonable chance that they are a cancer patient and therefor are ineligible to donate.

Organ donation isn't rough on a body. In order to harvest an organ, the body is under anesthesia with medications to keep the blood pressure up. The organ retrieval is done like surgery, it has to be done precisely so that the organ isn't damages to transplant. They are very careful.

A cancer patient can still donate, it would depend on the organ or organs involved. Definitely the cornea could be donated.

A living will or power of attorney is important. Also it is a good idea that family members are aware of your wishes.

MongoTheGeek
Mar 23, 2004, 07:59 PM
Organ donation isn't rough on a body. In order to harvest an organ, the body is under anesthesia with medications to keep the blood pressure up. The organ retrieval is done like surgery, it has to be done precisely so that the organ isn't damages to transplant. They are very careful.

A cancer patient can still donate, it would depend on the organ or organs involved. Definitely the cornea could be donated.

A living will or power of attorney is important. Also it is a good idea that family members are aware of your wishes.

I just figured that there would be issues with cavities from the missing lungs heart etc?

As for the cancer, I thought there would be worries about metastases?

Thats good news. My wife will love to piece me out when I'm finished :D The lungs are fairly shot though, so is the liver and probably kidneys.

edit: clarity

jsw
Mar 24, 2004, 07:02 PM
Ok, it's been two days, and someone has to say this:

- Apparently, no one was dying to take them up on their offer. -

There. Done. Sorry. But, I mean, come on...it's so obvious. :)

wdlove
Mar 24, 2004, 07:57 PM
Ok, it's been two days, and someone has to say this:

- Apparently, no one was dying to take them up on their offer. -

There. Done. Sorry. But, I mean, come on...it's so obvious. :)

That is very true, no one is dying to donate. It is a matter of beneficence for you fellow man to donate your body of organs.

jsw
Mar 24, 2004, 08:22 PM
That is very true, no one is dying to donate. It is a matter of beneficence for you fellow man to donate your body of organs.

I was just referring to the original story that started the thread...