Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erch63

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I am getting a new macbook, I wish to connect it to a desktop monitor for the office. I see a lot of deals available on big monitors, I would love the new apple display, but cannot justify the price. I saw this one availble on buy.com which seems perfect. Click here

I notice it does not have a DVI port, it does have a hdmi port and a vga port which is analog. I think I am correct I cannot use the hdmi port, true? Or are there adapters for this application. Also would they also carry the sound as they do with a TV?

If the other port does not work, will the VGA adapter be just fine? I am just using it for general business applications? but need the size in order to compare docs side by side. Also I assume this monitor could be easily be powered by the macbook, or am I wrong again?

manuel.mx

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2008
I have my macbook connected to my monitor through HDMI, i got the miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter, and then plugged a DVI to HMDI cable.

So far there is no way to carry audio through HDMI from mac, there is a new adapter coming soon, miniDP to HDMI, but it is not clear yet whether it will deliver sound. The cable is due March 15 or something like that from monoprice.com

That monitor and resolution is ok for the macbook, and VGA should be fine too. Maybe its better to get VGA adapter if you might use that computer in a presentation or something with a projector.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I have a few questions for you. What kind of price range are you looking at, and what do you plan on using the screen for? The screen you linked to is a TN panel which is ok for smaller screens (macbook uses a pretty low end TN screen) and for basic office applications but will not be suitable for anything color critical as the color uniformity will just not be there. Basic photoshop would work fine and messing with photos is ok but no print work (anything that requires calibration). If your looking for one of the best all around lcd panels for a decent price I'd take a look at the Dell Ultrasharp 2408wfp. It runs a bit higher than that one because it uses a type of panel called S-PVA (used in Sony Bravia lcd tv's) which have wide viewing angles, 2-3 times real life contrast ratios not advertised of course since those are usually fake, and better color reproduction. Its price on dell.com goes up and down almost every week so watch that if you can. Usually bounces between 517 and 679. Also check ebay as there are some good deals on there that include extended warranties. If you don't mind a smaller 22 inch monitor you can look at the 2209wa, not the 2209w which is a TN screen, which also has great viewing angles and can be had for $300. If you have any more questions feel free to IM me on AIM: blackhand1001.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.