Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyesawred2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
So, I just brought a new 500GB HD from Western Digital. I used SuperDuper to clone the contents of my original HD to my new HD. Everything went fine until I tried to install Leopard on my new HD. Leopard is telling me I can't install because I need to set-up a partition. I already did that but I have two different HD's listed in Disk Utility. They are the SAME HD just have different names. It has the name I gave it "500" and than it has "465.5 WDGB WDC...."(you get the picture). The partitions are on the HD "500" but not on the other HD.
How can I correct this without erasing the HD and starting over? I have been at this for 2 days and I am ready to take a baseball bat to one of my neighbors. I say my neighbors because I would never hurt my mac-daddy.:D

thanks

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
So, I just brought a new 500GB HD from Western Digital. I used SuperDuper to clone the contents of my original HD to my new HD. Everything went fine until I tried to install Leopard on my new HD. Leopard is telling me I can't install because I need to set-up a partition. I already did that but I have two different HD's listed in Disk Utility. They are the SAME HD just have different names. It has the name I gave it "500" and than it has "465.5 WDGB WDC...."(you get the picture). The partitions are on the HD "500" but not on the other HD.
How can I correct this without erasing the HD and starting over? I have been at this for 2 days and I am ready to take a baseball bat to one of my neighbors. I say my neighbors because I would never hurt my mac-daddy.:D

thanks

So you cloned the drive BEFORE formatting it/installing the OS? That might be your problem, no?

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
If you created a bootable clone on the new hard drive, you don't need to install the OS unless you're upgrading to a new OS or just want to do a clean Archive and Install. I'm confused as to what steps that you took.

I'm also not sure that you have 2 hard drives. You probably have one hard drive and one partition. If you look in Disk Utility - in the box on the left side of the page - there will be an item that is left justified identifying the HD (465.5 GB WD WD500....) and then below that indented or right justified is the volume with it's partition name ("500" in your case... mine is named MacBook HD).

I still don't know what procedure that you used and where you are stuck. Did you get your MacBook to boot up with the new drive in it? Are you upgrading from Tiger to Leopard after the hardware upgrade?

Put the bat away and post back.

eyesawred2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
I am trying to upgarde to Leopard after the upgrade. I did format the new HD before doing the clone. I am stuck because I cannot upgrade to Leopard. Everytime I try to install I get a error message saying I need to create a partition and I already did that.

Here is what I did. I put my new HD into an inclosure and formatted it and renamed it. Then I cloned my old HD to my new HD and then I switched them. I put in Leopard to install and I can't. It tells me I need to create a partition because Leopard cannot be install on "500". :(

What did I do wrong and how can I fix it?

eyesawred2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
The fu*king best buy guy said it would cost $126.00 to install Leopard. :eek:
If they have to fix the partitions it going to cost more. Please help....

eyesawred2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
For some reason my partition was not recognized so I just created a new one in Leopard. Everything seems fine now, accept the CD I wanted to use (for my math class) is not supported on Leopard. Looks like I am going to end up getting OS9 off Ebay to use it. Or I should just quit being cheap and buy a new book with an updated CD. Nah....I'll keep being cheap. I can just delete the partition I put OS9 on after the class is over right?:)

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
For some reason my partition was not recognized so I just created a new one in Leopard. Everything seems fine now, accept the CD I wanted to use (for my math class) is not supported on Leopard. Looks like I am going to end up getting OS9 off Ebay to use it. Or I should just quit being cheap and buy a new book with an updated CD. Nah....I'll keep being cheap. I can just delete the partition I put OS9 on after the class is over right?:)

What laptop are you using? OS 9 won't run on Intel machines.

What software is it?

eyesawred2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
DAMNIT!!! I am pissed but I should have thought about that. OS9 is PC based right? I'm a mac neophyte. It's a CD for a College Algebra textbook. The book is 4 years old and when I try to install the software it give me the "classic not supported message". I guess I could always call the company and ask them to send me a new CD. Unless you awesome people have any other ideas. DAMMIT!!:mad:

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
DAMNIT!!! I am pissed but I should have thought about that. OS9 is PC based right? I'm a mac neophyte. It's a CD for a College Algebra textbook. The book is 4 years old and when I try to install the software it give me the "classic not supported message". I guess I could always call the company and ask them to send me a new CD. Unless you awesome people have any other ideas. DAMMIT!!:mad:

Yeah, OS 9 runs on PPC/68k systems. What does the CD say are the minimum requirements?

eyesawred2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
"Macintosh:
Mac OS 8.6 or later
32 MB RAM
28.8 kpbs or faster Internet connection for Skill Builder, Section Quizzes and Chapter Tests
Internet Explorer 5.0 (or later) or Netscape 4.5 (or later)"

How annoying.

eyesawred2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2009
I read about sheepsaver. I think I'll pass... Here at the req for Windows
Windows:
Operating Systems: Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP
32 MB RAM
Internet Explorer 5.0 (or later) or Netscape 4.5 (or later)
I can just use boot camp and use the CD from there. Right?

This is a minor blimp. I upgraded my mac-daddy all by myself without paying best buy a dime. :p I couldn't be more satisfied right now. Hopefully, this CD situation will work itself out before I return to class.

yay me...

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
I read about sheepsaver. I think I'll pass... Here at the req for Windows
Windows:
Operating Systems: Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP
32 MB RAM
Internet Explorer 5.0 (or later) or Netscape 4.5 (or later)
I can just use boot camp and use the CD from there. Right?

This is a minor blimp. I upgraded my mac-daddy all by myself without paying best buy a dime. :p I couldn't be more satisfied right now. Hopefully, this CD situation will work itself out before I return to class.

yay me...

Yeah, just run it on the windows side. Good job on the upgrade!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.