Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pl3ppp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Plymouth, Devon, UK
Hey, first time posting on this site so go easy on me :D

I recently managed to pick up a Imac G3 Graphite, 700mhz, 1GB ram, 60GB HD, OSX 10.4.11 for free (Well kinda free, im repairing 2 emacs and a powermac g4) it runs pretty well for me (starts lagging with firefox/itunes/msn/transmission| running at the same time :() im one of these people who HAVE to multitask computers :L i know its old and i probebly shouldn't push it this hard but... hehehe its fun :D

well anyway iv been reading up and seen posts that you can over-clock other g3's (re-soldering the jumpers for the CPU clock controllers) and i was wondering if i could do the same for this one. I've had a little look around the internet and haven't found anything.

I just need that lil speed boost the current speed of it is starting to annoy me (it still has the original hard drive so maybe a new quicker one might help a bit also) Im good with soldering (modded many xbox's, repaired many things by soldering etc)

Or if there's some software that could help me fine tune the mac (i've already disabled dashboard/spotlight :p) or another way to speed this mac up a bit with out spending too much ( i could pick up a 1.4Ghz emac for £150)

Thanks for any help in advance xD

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
That is one loaded iMac G3. Those G3 iMacs are my favorite computers ever made.

I don't think there is much you can do, except maybe disable spotlight/dashboard, and not run as many applications at once.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
The hardware is approaching it's limit, you'll need to look up ways to optimize the software.

Disable graphic effects, reduce the amount of icons on your desktop (I hear each icon is a separate window which sucks resources) and ensure you have plenty of free space for virtual memory.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Even if you could overclock it cheaply and easily, you'd go from very very slow to very slow :D

The processor is only one slow aspect - you'll still be crippled by a slow bus speed, slow hard drive and slow memory.

pl3ppp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Plymouth, Devon, UK
Thanks for all the feedback iv got back off everyone xD

It seems to run 2 apps fine (safari + bitrocket) i decided to ditch transmission seeing as it kept freezing/taking up a-load of cpu -.- its just when i throw either msn or itunes it starts messing up, iv been using safari instead of firefox swell - it seems to use up alot less system resources.

I moved all my shortcuts/allias's from the desktop to a file on my hardrive (i thought it would be a good idea to put 12 of my most commonly used apps that didnt deserve a space on the dock there - but obviously not :L)

like i said i disabled spotlight/dashboard. ALtho im starting to not believe spotlight's disabled seeing at it'l search things from the bar (top right) any one got a good tutorial that actually works? the one i found blatantly doesn't -.-

i had another little look on google (my worst best friend) and couldn't find a table for where the resistors go for any slot loading imac. Iv heard that my hardware can go up to 1ghz but will need further cooling (im sure my pc doesn't need its fan THAT much ^^)

Any tuning software or further ideas people could supply me with would be greatly appreciated ( im only 14 and im using all these long words -.- im started to get worried about my self :L)

thanks

EDIT: Ok my system is running better. bitrocket - was starting to annoy me. Now im using vuze -.- system hogger but at-least it works. The thread should really be "how to overclock a g3?" not what it is. my bad. Im getting worried about it overheating as well, its been getting REALLY hot. especially on top (around the handle) and the hard drive. Not sure having it running on the floor with fluffy carpet underneath it does it any good, so i've started using the little leg thing underneath so the drives can have some air.
if any one has any idea's on what i could do to help it, i'd really appreciate it.

thanks again

josht

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2009
imac g3 233 oc

i have a rev. b imac g3 and i know how to oc it but i want to know if i have to reuse the resistors or can i just jump the gaps with solder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.