Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronisize15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
I have been using apple for over 10 years now. And I can say I have never been as angry at this company as I am now. For a company that is "great" to their customers why can I not use the nike plus hardware on my 80 gb ipod classic that I spent 250 bucks on last year. Because in the end they are greedy and selfish no different than microsoft. This really has turned me off to the company that they make me feel like in order to use their software I have to buy a brand new ipod. All apple needs to do is make a software update and they could easily make it compatible for the classic. But will they ever? No cus they don't care. This really has turned me off to apple more than ever before. Let me know if I'm nuts and there is way I can make it work on my 80gb ipod.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You just realized that they are a company trying to make a profit? Alert the media!

ronisize15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
Ok obviously that's not true. I've been running with this ipod over a year and never had a problem. So why don't you not reply to what I post unless you have anything valid to say.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Ok obviously that's not true. I've been running with this ipod over a year and never had a problem. So why don't you not reply to what I post unless you have anything valid to say.

Here's an idea: follow our forum rules and don't insult other members.

The classic is dead. The future is a touchscreen, and the click wheel design is staying around long enough for NAND flash to hit 1.8" HDD capacities.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

And actually, over time, you will scratch your hard drive, eventually deeming it unreadable, the iPod nanos use a SSD chip, which is not affected by movement, thus why it's the perfect candidate for the Nike+, plus if you've ever seen other people jogging, the majority either have iPod nanos or small personal radios, not chunky iPod Classics...

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Mad at a company for NOT sinking money into a function that will probably be including in the next revision, assuming the classic isn't dead?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
lol ohhh i definitly remember jogging with a cassette player and cd player back in the day

I used to jog with a cd player, ended up destroying a large number of my albums sadly, I was very impressed with my iPod nano when I got it, perfect for running with, barely notice it's there...

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota

Schtumple is right. that is exactly why apple doesn't support nike+ with the hard drive ipods. just because running with your ipod hasn't killed it yet doesn't mean you're not putting it at risk.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
And actually, over time, you will scratch your hard drive, eventually deeming it unreadable, the iPod nanos use a SSD chip, which is not affected by movement, thus why it's the perfect candidate for the Nike+, plus if you've ever seen other people jogging, the majority either have iPod nanos or small personal radios, not chunky iPod Classics...

Though I recall the HDD based mini being touted as great for jogging.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Though I recall the HDD based mini being touted as great for jogging.

The mini used CompactFlash cards for storage....

Edit: my mistake, some digging shows that they used something called a microdrive (compactflash II).

teflon

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2007
I have been using apple for over 10 years now. And I can say I have never been as angry at this company as I am now. For a company that is "great" to their customers why can I not use the nike plus hardware on my 80 gb ipod classic that I spent 250 bucks on last year. Because in the end they are greedy and selfish no different than microsoft. This really has turned me off to the company that they make me feel like in order to use their software I have to buy a brand new ipod. All apple needs to do is make a software update and they could easily make it compatible for the classic. But will they ever? No cus they don't care. This really has turned me off to apple more than ever before. Let me know if I'm nuts and there is way I can make it work on my 80gb ipod.

Well yeah, they are a business, ultimately they're out to make money. Apple is not a charity. Of course they don't care about you or your feelings, or anyone else's for that matter. It's like to run Snow Leopard you need Intel. Can Apple put in the extra work and time and make it compatible with G5. Yes. Is that a smart way to run a business? No.

beeh

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Running/jogging with a iPod Classic would destroy the hard drive...

Please think before ranting in future...

I ran 4-5 times a week with a first generation 10GB ipod for close to four years, it still works fine, never replaced the hard drive. Maybe the newer hard drives are less robust though?

Josh396

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2004
Peoria/Chicago, IL
I'd say you were (are) just lucky.
I'd agree with that statement. I ran with a 4th Gen iPod that I had replaced 5 times in less than a year and a 5th Gen Video iPod that was replaced 3 times, and I wasn't even much of a runner. Some of those replacements could be chalked up to just faulty drives to begin with, but I remember remember the Genius' mentioning how they had countless numbers of iPods in for repairs due to people running with them. In the past two years I've had two nanos (one was stolen) and I haven't had a single problem with either of them.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
IIRC, the hard drive only spins right before loading a song, or the current song is ending, not constantly, so the chances of you damaging it are slimmed down there, but that doesn't mean it's any less of a risk.

And Cassie, MicroDrives are designed to be moved about alot, they're used (or were) in professional cameras, and probably have some kind of small shock absorption tech, as to reduce damage.

beeh

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I'd say you were (are) just lucky.

Yeah, that could be true, but only with respect to the HD, I had to replace the firewire connector twice though ( not due to running, but just connect/disconnect ). It was a pain finding a replacement that fit perfectly.

The last couple of years, I've had a first gen. Nano I run with and Nike+, it works real well, although the transmitter battery just died this month.

The Nano is definitely easier to run with, much less bulky and lighter.

iSaygoodbye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
a boat
apple doesnt care about the classic anymore no major update in over a year. dont come to a apple forum and trash apple

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Running/jogging with a iPod Classic would destroy the hard drive...

No it won't. I've never ever heard of this happening and I've run hundreds of miles with my Classic and with my 1G iPod. You figure the very first iPod would be most susceptible to breaking down.

As for the OP's complaint. Give me a break, suck it up and go buy a nano.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I do think that the classic will be dead within the next few revisions to the iPod lineup. If you are going to be mad at Apple, there are so many more important things to get worked up over.

OP, I can't even imagine running with a classic just because I'd be afraid it'd come flying off the clip and break.

Gyrferret

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Well, I think he has a point. Apple even says that the HDD only spins up to cache songs, so it is not constantly spinning. Plus, do you think that it wasn't designed to take that kind of stress?

For a change, it's like saying "Hey all you iPod Touch 1G owners, let's have you pay a total of $30 on top of the $300 that you already paid just to have the same features as the iPod Touch 2G."

But alas, Flash is the way of the future, just wish Apple wouldn't update products so often and leave the previous generation to rot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.