PDA

View Full Version : why is apple so cheap these days?

OSXRANDOMANIMAL
Feb 12, 2009, 10:30 PM
my macbook didn't even come with a remote. you have to pay an extra 20 bucks for it now.

heck i remember when i got my original iPod Photo it came with all the AV cables too. 20 bucks isn't really a big deal i just think it should come when you spend 1300 on a laptop.

NT1440
Feb 12, 2009, 10:30 PM
Actually, its been years since a laptop shipped with a remote...

JamesGorman
Feb 12, 2009, 10:31 PM
has it been years? i thought the previous generation macbooks shipped with one? IMO, i wouldnt have minded one, but i dont find myself really needing it.

azdunerat
Feb 12, 2009, 10:38 PM
I just downloaded a program for my Iphone that allowed me to use it as the remote control. I have a remote for the mini, but love being able to control everything with my phone. Pluse it was only .99 cents

ribbonthecat
Feb 12, 2009, 10:40 PM
There is some sort of global recession going on.

Jpoon
Feb 12, 2009, 10:41 PM
I just downloaded a program for my Iphone that allowed me to use it as the remote control. I have a remote for the mini, but love being able to control everything with my phone. Pluse it was only .99 cents

Way to talk about something completely different there hehe.

My refurbished MacBook came with a remote in a Brown Apple Box :D.

NT1440

Which has nothing to do with this.

Jpoon

Some companies still seem to be doing fine despite the global recession. Heck, go look at what Amazon did this past holiday season. It's freaking insane.

sporadicMotion
Feb 12, 2009, 10:44 PM
Meh, they're cheap to buy anyways... but why include something when people will just buy it anyways.

MacOCD
Feb 12, 2009, 10:46 PM
my macbook didn't even come with a remote. you have to pay an extra 20 bucks for it now.

heck i remember when i got my original iPod Photo it came with all the AV cables too. 20 bucks isn't really a big deal i just think it should come when you spend 1300 on a laptop.

When i got the brand new MacBook when hey first came out the g1, i got a remote, but ever since then have not seen it. I think it may have to do with why the hell do you need a remote for a laptop, i know no one who will sit across a room with a remote watching a 13 inch screen when it can be on your lap. The iMacs come with them... well it makes sense... 20 inch screen that isn't that portable.

Just my opinion i think they do not need remotes because it is pretty pointless.

California
Feb 12, 2009, 10:46 PM
Can I use the first Gen iphone was a remote I wonder? Might save me a few dollars as the mb aluminum needs one...

Moonlight
Feb 12, 2009, 10:47 PM
When Apple comes out with a new product, they usually sell it bare bones for a high price, then when they have updates to it, they lower the price, and/or add things like remote, a case, cables, etc.... Not always, but usually

sergiuria
Feb 13, 2009, 12:18 AM
My Macbook came with a remote, bought in February 08

VPrime
Feb 13, 2009, 12:37 AM
I was upset that when I upgraded my iPhone 2g for a 3G and it no longer came with a dock:confused:

Theaser
Feb 13, 2009, 12:47 AM
I was upset that when I upgraded my iPhone 2g for a 3G and it no longer came with a dock:confused:

Part of the being affordable plan. Even my HP laptop bought 3 years ago came with a remote (900 bucks!), sucker :D. jk.

mckyvlle
Feb 13, 2009, 02:43 AM
If I recall correctly, the MacBook 3,1 -- November 2007 Santa Rosa chipset + Merom CPU, is the last generation that came with a bundled remote control; the next revision in February to the Penryn CPU dropped the remote control.

BlueRevolution
Feb 13, 2009, 02:57 AM
When Apple comes out with a new product, they usually sell it bare bones for a high price, then when they have updates to it, they lower the price, and/or add things like remote, a case, cables, etc.... Not always, but usually

Most companies work like this. Apple does not. When Apple comes out with a new product, they usually sell it bare bones for a high price. The price does not change through subsequent revisions, and the only updates are to ensure that the product follows the current trend in bare-bones overpriced hardware.

Trivialities like adding features are done on a whim. Price reductions never, ever happen.