Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Hi I am wandering if in the previous back to school promotions you had the option to take money off the laptop price if you decide not to get the free Ipod. I am planning to get a nano but I sort of want to get one now. If you have that option of taking money off the laptop I will do that and buy the nano now.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Nope, no can do. The point of the promo is to (a) clear out old iPod stocks before introducing new models, and (b) solidify the college iPod ecosystem. Giving you free money does neither. :p

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
yah i was thinking bout that and you can get the new nanos for like $100 now on ebay. I have a Touch but want a nano for working out.

Trix

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
Buy the Nano now, and get a Nano with the Promo. Sell the old one and profit off whatever it brings. You'll have made money and have a new iPod.

macJC50640

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Advice

I don't know if the OP is still following this thread, but I'd like to say the new nanos are really nice. I love the all aluminum design and I'm glad they got away from the short and stub look. I am glad I got one. However, some of my friends say that even the nano is not fit for working out. I'd say save some money and go with the shuffle for a cheap work out iPod, and keep your touch as your main iPod. When the back to school promo comes out, get another free touch and either sell yours or sell the new one for the most money off the Mac.
:cool:;)

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
wow I never thought of buying a shuffle. I love the nano look and I think it would be fine to use for running. (I usually just hold my touch in my hand). Does anyone here run with a nano or shuffle?

Trix

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2009
Do you want a screen? If yes = nano; if no = shuffle.

And as per my previous post, bumzo1 answered for me, sell it.

JonMcDonald

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
wow I never thought of buying a shuffle. I love the nano look and I think it would be fine to use for running. (I usually just hold my touch in my hand). Does anyone here run with a nano or shuffle?

Anything is fine for running (especially if you buy the armband). I believe that the shuffle does (did, maybe?) have a clip that you can attach anywhere on a shirt or shorts. I agree, the shuffle is great for working out. You really don't need a screen when working out. When I hit the gym regularly I was not very impressed with the iTouch. Saw people with shuffles, and was jealous. I'd want something I can beat up.

Get shuffle now, save ~100$. Then sell whatever you get with the Back to School Promo, collect rebate, and put it all towards your MacBook. It'll be a nice chunk down :].

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.