PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 17" 1.9ghz iSight do it yourself replace hard drive?

California
Feb 13, 2009, 05:55 PM
Guys, does anyone have a guide or know how to replace a hard drive on a 1.9ghz iSight model G5 iMac?

It's the last revision G5 iMac, the ones with better ram and iSight.

Apple wants 95 bucks just to take it apart.

Eidorian
Feb 13, 2009, 06:04 PM
Think you're up to taking the iSight iMac G5 apart? It's nothing like the first two revisions.

I might have the manual laying around.

California
Feb 13, 2009, 06:33 PM
El:

If you do, do you still need it? I know you have to take off the screen and everything..

BlizzardBomb
Feb 13, 2009, 06:48 PM
It's a very complicated process as it involves removing the front panel, the LCD, film and disconnecting the iSight. It's not a guide to do it, and in the manual Apple says not to attempt to do any DIY to the Rev.C iMac, but this is roughly what it involves (http://www.kodawarisan.com/imacg5_isight/imacg501i.html). If you manage to get in, it should be a simple swap from there.

animaxcg
Feb 13, 2009, 06:53 PM
its not to bad, I say do it but be very carful and make sure you no were every screw goes

California
Feb 13, 2009, 09:29 PM
Is it worth paying my very good Apple Certified Tech 95 dollars to do it?

Also, to upgrade the ram, do you have to do the same procedure? (I have a vague recollection you don't, but can't remember...)

CanadaRAM
Feb 13, 2009, 09:32 PM
Absolutely worth paying $95.

I have been taking apart Macs for 15 years, and it took me 3 hours to change out the hard drive in my son's iSight iMac. Putting it back together is evil.

The RAM, OTOH, is accessible behind a trap door under the 'chin' of the machine, replacing it is duck soup.