Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kr0415

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Hi everyone, I just bought a used Macbook from eBay. I bought it because the specs sounded very attractive for the price it was offered(2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5 GB 667 MHz). In the description, I basically ignored the seller explaining that the pinwheel at times popped up for seemingly no reason. I figured it would be a simple way to fix it, as the seller explained that "he wasn't a Mac guy" so he wasn't sure how to fix it...

So I got the computer and begin to notice that the spinning pinwheel would pop up for absolutely no reason. I'd have one application running and still get a pinwheel for about 30 sec to a minute for no reason. I've used the Disk Utility to check the hard drive and supposedly everything is okay. I've repaired permissions, I've used rember, etc. It just keeps freezing. Do I need a new hard drive? I'm just really confused and frustrated, because I need this computer to record music, and the problem seems to be getting worse and worse.

Please help me out. I'd appreciate it.

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2009
Hi everyone, I just bought a used Macbook from eBay. I bought it because the specs sounded very attractive for the price it was offered(2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5 GB 667 MHz). In the description, I basically ignored the seller explaining that the pinwheel at times popped up for seemingly no reason. I figured it would be a simple way to fix it, as the seller explained that "he wasn't a Mac guy" so he wasn't sure how to fix it...

So I got the computer and begin to notice that the spinning pinwheel would pop up for absolutely no reason. I'd have one application running and still get a pinwheel for about 30 sec to a minute for no reason. I've used the Disk Utility to check the hard drive and supposedly everything is okay. I've repaired permissions, I've used rember, etc. It just keeps freezing. Do I need a new hard drive? I'm just really confused and frustrated, because I need this computer to record music, and the problem seems to be getting worse and worse.

Please help me out. I'd appreciate it.

I would re-install the OS. Did you do that yet? Just do a fresh install

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
If you cannot solve the problem by fixing permissions, zero out the drive and reinstall whichever OS you have Be sure to backup anything that you may have on it already, though. If it came installed with 10.5, you might want to try check and see if Tiger does the same thing.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
yeah i would also recommend a full fresh install....if you just got it youc nat possibley hve too much stuff in it yet i would guess o it won t be a big deal putting everything you ve go tnow back up

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
When this happened on my G4 iBook, it started about 3mos before my HD completely died.

Reinstalling the OS helped for a week or so, then it started again. Then the next time I went to re-install the OS, it couldn't, the HD would just hang and tick away.

Back everything up ASAP and start looking for new internal HD's.

kr0415

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
When this happened on my G4 iBook, it started about 3mos before my HD completely died.

Reinstalling the OS helped for a week or so, then it started again. Then the next time I went to re-install the OS, it couldn't, the HD would just hang and tick away.

Back everything up ASAP and start looking for new internal HD's.

I appreciate everyone's help. I've already reinstalled the OS completely after zeroing out the hd. I'm leaning towards buying a new HD. I have a Fujitsu 160GB right now if that means anything. I think I'm about to look for a new one, because I've literally done everything. I reinstalled the RAM multiple times, zeroed out the drive twice, I thought it might be the RAM but according to the Mac it's fine. The Disk Utility is telling me the HD is fine also, but I don't know. I think I might just have to get a new hd after all.

It doesn't matter that my RAM are of two different brands does it? Eh, I think I'm in denial lol. I hear memory doesn't go for ridiculous prices though, what would be the best hd to go with(as far as brand)?

GeneKam

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mississauga, ON
Sounds

Sounds like the hardrive is going on you. But i did have the same thing happen to me before, and it left without the replacement. It was the mobile me and the backup that effected it. At times it would hand up at the main screen and the boot up. After a few restarts it would go away then happen again in a day or two. It is caused by the internet connection as far as i reember.

As for the ram, well thats really hard to say. I recomend using the same ram, its fairly cheap to get it nowdays. Dont think it would effect it as long as both the ram is the same configuration and size. Could anyone back me up on this?

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I'm leaning towards the hard drive too. You could always pull one of the memory sticks out and test it to see if the problem persists and then try and run it with the other stick.

Good to rule out with what you got before you go spending money if you are for sure it's going to fix the problem. If you do decide to get a new hard drive, I've always liked Western Digital and Seagate.

This WD 320gb one has great reviews.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I appreciate everyone's help. I've already reinstalled the OS completely after zeroing out the hd. I'm leaning towards buying a new HD. I have a Fujitsu 160GB right now if that means anything. I think I'm about to look for a new one, because I've literally done everything. I reinstalled the RAM multiple times, zeroed out the drive twice, I thought it might be the RAM but according to the Mac it's fine. The Disk Utility is telling me the HD is fine also, but I don't know. I think I might just have to get a new hd after all.

It doesn't matter that my RAM are of two different brands does it? Eh, I think I'm in denial lol. I hear memory doesn't go for ridiculous prices though, what would be the best hd to go with(as far as brand)?

I went with a Seagate when I upgraded the iBook. I'd recommend either Seagate or Western Digital, just based solely on anecdotal evidence.

kr0415

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
Well, thanks for the help guys. I think I'm just going to get a new hd. I hope this solves everything.

psxguru

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2006
RAM is dirt cheap these days, I would get another 1Gb stick and ditch the 512Mb stick. It's better to have matched sized RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.