Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Consciousness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Hi all,

I am trying to feed the audio from my PS2 via the optical out into my macbook audio in using a toslink to 3.5mm cable. I then have a 3.5mm to toslink going from my macbooks audio out into my a/v receiver.

To monitor the sound (hear it from the receiver) i am using Garageband, setting it to record a real instrument track, then selecting "monitoring on".

Only problem is i am not hearing anything (which is a big problem), does anybody know if what i am trying to do is possible, or am i missing something. I am a complete novice when it comes to Garageband (this is the first time i have used it), if anyone knows a simpler solution, other than going directly from my ps2 to the receiver (as i do not have a cable with toslink on both ends) i would love to hear it.

CalumC

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Leeds, UK
You could put the ps2 into the tv as normal, then use your tv's audio out (3.5mm?) if it has one. That'll be an analogue out, so just use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to take it straight into the macbook. I'm not sure that the optical out on a ps2 carries audio. I could be wrong.

Consciousness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
Thank's CalumC,

But maybe i wasn't clear. I want to go digital and the cable i am using is an Optical cable that has a toslink (regular square end) at the ps2, and a 3.5mm (headphone type) at the macbook, as macbook's require this shape of connector even using optical/spdif.

The optical out has always worked fine with this arrangement, going from my macbook to my receiver, no problems, i get Digital 5.1, DTS etc. The issue is i want to run my PS2 through my projector which is a good 15 ft away from my receiver and i want to avoid; 1) running wires across my floor. 2) spending more money on cables of which i have to many already.

My solution therfore was to run a short optical cable from the PS2 to my macbook (which is close to the projector) which has the same connections i already mentioned, to go in to the line-in on my macbook (which i am led to believe is capable of receiving a digital signal, much as the line-out can output one) and then "monitor" (simply listen to) the source i am about to record via the line-in using Garageband. Phew!

Hopefully waiting.

P.S. Happy Valentines Day to all the girls out there.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.