PDA

View Full Version : Apple Xserve G5 - Now Shipping

MacRumors
Mar 23, 2004, 08:30 AM
Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/mar/23xserve.html) that today it has now begun shipping the Xserve G5s which were announced in January (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040106143200.shtml).

The Xserve G5s were originally expected to ship in February, but were delayed (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/03/20040308105301.shtml) for unclear reasons.

These newest machines from Apple utilize the new 90nm PowerPC 970FX (G5) processor from IBM.

MattG
Mar 23, 2004, 08:32 AM
Nice! I hope we'll get one of these at work when we decide to put up a streaming server...

jxyama
Mar 23, 2004, 08:32 AM
an announcement already... does this mean there'll be no more for the day? groan... :D

proglife
Mar 23, 2004, 08:33 AM
OOOoooooooooooo. Boring.

Edit: Unless Apple wants to "sponsor" a poor orphan that can't afford an Xserve.

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 08:35 AM
Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/mar/23xserve.html) that today it has now begun shipping the Xserve G5s which were announced in January (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040106143200.shtml).

The Xserve G5s were originally expected to ship in February, but were delayed (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/03/20040308105301.shtml) for unclear reasons.

These newest machines from Apple utilize the new 90nm PowerPC 970FX (G5) processor from IBM.

This ABSOLUTELY :p , POSITIVELY :) , WITHOUT A DOUBT :eek: MUST MEAN that new products are being announced today!!!

... or not ... :D

freddiecable
Mar 23, 2004, 08:36 AM
I like your convincing certainty ;)

This ABSOLUTELY :p , POSTITIVELY :) , WITHOUT A DOUBT :eek: MUST MEAN that new products are being announced today!!!

... or not ... :D

numediaman
Mar 23, 2004, 08:37 AM
Here's a list of all the "official" press releases so far this month:
March 23
Apple Begins Shipping Xserve G5 to Customers

March 15
iTunes Music Store Downloads Top 50 Million Songs

March 1
Shake Continues Apple’s Oscar Winning Streak

Pretty slim pickin's. Notice no software updates. Maybe Apple laid off most of their PR and marketing people.

Veldek
Mar 23, 2004, 08:39 AM
I hope this means that the new PowerMacs (which are hopefully announced this month) will ship immediately, too. I have waited so long, I can hardly stand waiting some more weeks.

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 08:39 AM
I like your convincing certainty ;)

Me too, thanks!! I just HAD to say SOMETHING!! :D

captain kirk
Mar 23, 2004, 08:40 AM
Nice to see Apple continues to ship new products on time!!! you never know the powermacs they announce later today might be shipping by June :D

Grimace
Mar 23, 2004, 08:41 AM
looks like powermacs have to wait one more week....

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 08:42 AM
Nice to see Apple continues to ship new products on time!!! you never know the powermacs they announce later today might be shipping by June :D

Which basically means (using such logic), that Apple is announcing Dual 3Ghz machines in a few hours. ;)

rschapel
Mar 23, 2004, 08:42 AM
Nice! I hope we'll get one of these at work when we decide to put up a streaming server...

What streaming software are you looking at using with the Mac OS? (something other than quicktime?)

Great news on the shipping, maybe now apple can look into getting the next revision of PB's out the door! :p

--Randy

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 08:45 AM
Great news on the shipping, maybe now apple can look into getting the next revision of PB's out the door! :p

--Randy

Does Apple still revise Powerbooks? Been so long, I've forgotten. :eek:

Edge100
Finally! Now lets get those shiny new G5s into a Powermac!

Mike

jsw
Which basically means (using such logic), that Apple is announcing Dual 3Ghz machines in a few hours. ;)

Well, they sort of announced them last June... ;)

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 08:50 AM
Well, they sort of announced them last June... ;)

EXACTLY!! So they should OFFICALLY announce them today, and then "sort of" start shipping them before the end of 2004. :)

MattG
Mar 23, 2004, 08:50 AM
What streaming software are you looking at using with the Mac OS? (something other than quicktime?)

--RandyNope -- Quicktime Streaming Server

nsb3000
Mar 23, 2004, 08:51 AM
March 23
Apple Begins Shipping Xserve G5 to Customers

March 15
iTunes Music Store Downloads Top 50 Million Songs

March 1
Shake Continues Apple’s Oscar Winning Streak

Pretty slim pickin's. Notice no software updates. Maybe Apple laid off most of their PR and marketing people.

What do you call Mac OS X 10.3.3?

I am betting on Power Mac updates coming out in a week.

-Nathaniel

MikeAtari
Mar 23, 2004, 08:54 AM

Power Book, what is this thing that you speak of? :D
A Power-ful Book?

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 08:58 AM
Power Book, what is this thing that you speak of? :D
A Power-ful Book?

It's the little folding thingy sitting next to my brand new IIci. :D

AirUncleP
Mar 23, 2004, 08:59 AM
When does V. Tech get theirs? It will be interesting to see what the new numbers are.

dongmin
Mar 23, 2004, 09:00 AM
an announcement already... does this mean there'll be no more for the day? groan... :D Unfortunately, I think you're probably right. Well, according to Arn's report, it was looking more like next Tuesday for Power Mac updates anyways. Maybe PowerBooks and iBooks the week after???

MadMan
Mar 23, 2004, 09:08 AM
If you read the press release, the ONLY xServe G5's that are shipping NOW are the single CPU ones.

The Dual CPU version (of which I have one on order) won't start shipping until the end of April. My order now lists 4/29 as the expected ship date. This was changed on 3/10 (my original expected ship date).

I have no idea how this will effect any new PM's or PB's, but you need to remember that these are only 2.0 GHz chips.

I'm beginning to think that Apple just doesn't have the chips and is trying to get SOMETHING out the door.

Otherwise, why wouldn't they ship both versions at the same time?

Could be that IBM is having trouble ramping up.

What say you?

:cool:
MM

Laslo Panaflex
Mar 23, 2004, 09:10 AM

Hasn't it been a longer gap for the powermacs than the powerbooks? Weren't the powerbooks refreshed in july/august with the all AL lineup. The powermacs were announced in june, that's nearly 10 months ago.

captain kirk
Mar 23, 2004, 09:12 AM
Unfortunately, I think you're probably right. Well, according to Arn's report, it was looking more like next Tuesday for Power Mac updates anyways. Maybe PowerBooks and iBooks the week after???

I think that is unlikely, the powermacs will be updated within a week or 2 for sure however ibook and powerbook updates will be a little longer. I reckon all the desktop range will get an update/speedbump before the laptops do.

MentalFabric
Mar 23, 2004, 09:14 AM

Whenever people talk about the IIci I always think of 2c-i. I guess I'm not old enough to think of the IIci instead.

BornAgainMac
Mar 23, 2004, 09:25 AM

No, sorry. Last year was the "Year of the laptop". This year the focus is on large desktops with 9 fans and rack mounted servers. Maybe next year.

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 09:26 AM
Whenever people talk about the IIci I always think of 2c-i. I guess I'm not old enough to think of the IIci instead.

See, that's because Mac models used to change more frequently (well, no, not really - the ci was around forever). But now, even your children will know what a 2GHz G5 is, because it's what they'll be able to buy. ;)

coumerelli
Mar 23, 2004, 09:30 AM
See, that's because Mac models used to change more frequently (well, no, not really - the ci was around forever). But now, even your children will know what a 2GHz G5 is, because it's what they'll be able to buy. ;)

You know, I agree here with everyone (and their posts), but the problem is, folks, a watched pot never boils. We're killing ourselves day by day waiting...and waiting...and waiting....hmmmmmm......;)

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 09:36 AM
You know, I agree here with everyone (and their posts), but the problem is, folks, a watched pot never boils. We're killing ourselves day by day waiting...and waiting...and waiting....hmmmmmm......;)

Wow, so if we all just agree to stop checking, the new models will come out? Excellent idea! Perhaps arn can bring the site down for a day or two, then you all can go buy your dual-3's!

;)

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 09:39 AM

Guess that means I am that old. :D

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 09:42 AM

Was, and still is, if you count the one that I still have. I actually "worked" on mine for almost 10 years, before upgrading to a 275 Mhz PowerMac 6500. However, I did add a bit of memory (oh, how expensive that was) and a Daystar Turbo 601 100Mhz board to it. Which, of course, made it totally up to date. ;)

.a
Mar 23, 2004, 09:44 AM
btw. apple ships only single G5 xserves ... the duals are to come later in april ...
well ... looks like we'll see powermacs g5 LATER this spring :/
.a

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 09:46 AM
Was, and still is, if you count the one that I still have. I actually "worked" on mine for almost 10 years, before upgrading to a 275 Mhz PowerMac 6500. However, I did add a bit of memory (oh, how expensive that was) and a Daystar Turbo 601 100Mhz board to it. Which, of course, made it totally up to date. ;)

Yeah, mine's only at 40 HMz. And it's still a 68030. And, yeah, I remember spending something like $600 to buy 16MB of RAM. But, hey, it's still cool! And it still runs...

porovaara
Mar 23, 2004, 09:47 AM
If you read the press release, the ONLY xServe G5's that are shipping NOW are the single CPU ones.
Could be that IBM is having trouble ramping up.
MM
I say it is probably Apple having problems with their own chipsets. Remember Apple is responsible for a large portion of the bus system. If they are shipping single procs now perhaps they are having trouble with the higher frequency bus on the 970fx with dual CPUs.

Grimace
Mar 23, 2004, 09:49 AM
Does anyone know why this announcement isn't advertised on Apple's Website??

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 09:53 AM
Yeah, mine's only at 40 HMz. And it's still a 68030. And, yeah, I remember spending something like $600 to buy 16MB of RAM. But, hey, it's still cool! And it still runs...

I believe I spent close to $10,000 on my IIci through the years. All I could get for that these days is a 2Ghz Dual G5, 23-inch display, 40GB iPod, and a dozen major software packages. My how times have changed.

And I'm still never satisfied. LOL

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 09:54 AM

Well, obviously, that's because they're still updating it to include the new dual-3hz G5s. Duh!

:)

redAPPLE
Mar 23, 2004, 09:55 AM

because it is a rumor? ;)

oh, this just came in...

"The Wait Is Over. Introducing, The G5 Powerbook. Zoom." :p

Rustus Maximus
Mar 23, 2004, 09:59 AM
OOOoooooooooooo. Boring.

Boring....BORING??!?? It's the new 90nm G5 man!! They're here! They're here! They're....anyway...

Attention! Now boarding the 970FX PowerMac Express. Please have a massive credit card account ready and enjoy your trip!"

Woooowoooooo!!

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 10:01 AM
I believe I spent close to $10,000 on my IIci through the years. All I could get for that these days is a 2Ghz Dual G5, 23-inch display, 40GB iPod, and a dozen major software packages. My how times have changed.

And I'm still never satisfied. LOL

True, but I still remember getting mine, along with the almost $2K 17" NEC monitor (still attached to it) [and, yes, that was back when we had to walk to school 10 miles in the snow uphill both ways]. Anyway, the sheer thrill I had when I first started playing with it and learning to program it exceeded even the joy of the dual-2 G5 I got last September. And, no, it wasn't my first computer (which was a TRS-80 Model III, from back before they even had schools and we all lived in trees). But it was my first "wow" computer.

And now, even the bump we're expecting (to 2.4 GHz) will increase the processing power by something like, what, a hundred 25 MHz 68030's over the current dual-2 offering. Man, I guess times really have changed. Except, of course, that Windows still sucks compared to the Mac OS. :)

morkintosh
Mar 23, 2004, 10:02 AM

well they did give us 10.3.3 ... thats got to count for something

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 10:03 AM
I've finally realized what this "possibility" of updates, not to mention my lack of anything else to do today, has accomplished. I have officially doubled almost two years worth of posts in about two hours. Woo hoo, Go Me!! :D

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 10:04 AM
well they did give us 10.3.3 ... thats got to count for something

And they updated iPhoto to 4.0.1. Don't want to miss that one!

Wendy_Rebecca
Mar 23, 2004, 10:07 AM
Does Apple ever ship anything on time? Who's doing their materials planning...Bozo the clown?

Spades
Mar 23, 2004, 10:09 AM
Wouldn't it be pretty stupid to announce the systems and let people start ordering them before the systems were complete? A more likely delay is supply problems. Somebody can't provide some part fast enough for Apple to produce all types of Xserves at once. Therefore, they're starting with the single processor systems and will get to the duals as soon as possible.

I say it is probably Apple having problems with their own chipsets. Remember Apple is responsible for a large portion of the bus system. If they are shipping single procs now perhaps they are having trouble with the higher frequency bus on the 970fx with dual CPUs.

Dont Hurt Me
Mar 23, 2004, 10:11 AM
they are taking to long to get the G5 out the door, wether in Powermacs,Xserves,Imac or Powerbooks. by the time they get back on schedule I feel they will be behind again. How long can they go without updates or new products. its not like the G4 is a competitive CPU. Though there could be many reasons for delays this isnt good for Apple. Every G5 release so far has been behind. oh well more waiting & waiting.

MadMan
Mar 23, 2004, 10:12 AM
Does Apple ever ship anything on time? Who's doing their materials planning...Bozo the clown?

Hey, 3 months (4 for the Duals) from announce to ship isn't so bad....

Is it?

Is it???

IS IT ?!?!?!?!

Ok, maybe Bozo AND Ronald do it jointly :rolleyes:

MM

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 10:13 AM
they are taking to long to get the G5 out the door, wether in Powermacs,Xserves,Imac or Powerbooks. by the time they get back on schedule I feel they will be behind again. How long can they go without updates or new products. its not like the G4 is a competitive CPU. Though there could be many reasons for delays this isnt good for Apple. Every G5 release so far has been behind. oh well more waiting & waiting.

Give em credit ... at least they announced it almost a year ago and gave us all something to moan, groan and complain about. :D

porovaara
Mar 23, 2004, 10:15 AM
Wouldn't it be pretty stupid to announce the systems and let people start ordering them before the systems were complete?
Uhm and just how long have people been waiting that ordered g5 xserves all ready?

Apple is notorious for announcing and then missing ship times, however in the past they were always able to pawn the blame off on Motorola.

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 10:22 AM
Anyway, the sheer thrill I had when I first started playing with it and learning to program it exceeded even the joy of the dual-2 G5 I got last September.

Agreed.

And, no, it wasn't my first computer (which was a TRS-80 Model III, from back before they even had schools and we all lived in trees). But it was my first "wow" computer.

Still have my Commodore 128 and about 50 issues of the magazines that were out at the time (guess it's time to let go of the past ... LOL)

Except, of course, that Windows still sucks compared to the Mac OS. :)

I can see we agree on many issues. :D

dex22
Mar 23, 2004, 10:26 AM
Remember, it's still only 8:27 in Cupertino...

Plenty of time yet for an announcement, even if it isn't new machines...

Wonder Boy
Mar 23, 2004, 10:26 AM
What do you call Mac OS X 10.3.3?

I am betting on Power Mac updates coming out in a week.

-Nathaniel

me too. a lot if not all the special deals (memory and the like) end the 27th.

captain kirk
Mar 23, 2004, 10:28 AM

You have a point, whenever speed bumps occur and the uk site goes down it is normally around 5pm UK time, it is currently 4.29pm so there is still time, credit card is ready and waiting!

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 10:28 AM

ANNOUNCING ...

There will be NO announcements today, thank you. Please leave the auditorium in a single-file line and in an orderly fashion. Return to your previously-scheduled life. ;)

captain kirk
Mar 23, 2004, 10:32 AM
ANNOUNCING ...

There will be NO announcements today, thank you. Please leave the auditorium in a single-file line and in an orderly fashion. Return to your previously-scheduled life. ;)

Unfortunately my previously scheduled life went out the window this morning when I didn;t go to work after spending all nite with my head down the toilet. It's been very relaxing lying in bed all day reading posts, doing some web shopping etc, maybe I should get ill more often :D

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 10:33 AM
Could someone please tell me how many posts I need before I am no longer a newbie? I find the term demeaning. :)

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 10:34 AM
Could someone please tell me how many posts I need before I am no longer a newbie? I find the term demeaning. :)

So just post 6 more "when is the next G5 coming out" questions, and you'll be a "member"!

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 10:36 AM

I was a "newbie" for nearly two years ... have officially graduated to "member". Yay for me!

Mr Maui
Mar 23, 2004, 10:41 AM
Only been six months for me,

By the way, a lot of people have been putting faith in the fact that the ram promotion ends on 27th march as an indicator to imminent powermac updates, however in the UK the ram promo is scheduled to run until may :(

Maybe it means nothing. Maybe it means something. Maybe it means we are grasping at any possible straw in hopes of a much-anticipated update to the Apple line.

Esben
Mar 23, 2004, 11:01 AM
no longer a newbie

God I'm bored

Really!!! That didn't show :p

No seriously - here's to the announcement of the new PowerBook in about 10 min... well you can always hope...right?

I so want one for easter...What else can I do during the holidays?

dex22
Mar 23, 2004, 11:02 AM
Well, it's now 9:02 in Cupertino. Phooey! Rats and blast! Darn it!

I have more choice words, but it looks like I'll have to sit on my credit card issuer's money for another week or two.

MacVault
Mar 23, 2004, 11:09 AM
Ahh! It's after 9am and nothing from that frickin fruit company in Cupertino! What a bunch of *****. They better have some good stuff to release after making us wait all this time! Bring on the new video iPods, the iBox, updated PowerMacs, etc.!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

edit: AND TELL US WHO THE WINNER IS OF THE COLD MOUNTAIN SWEEPSTAKES! I know it has to be me, just want it confirmed! :D

PretendPCuser
Mar 23, 2004, 11:18 AM

wOOt! The IIci's are shipping?! WHOOOO-HOOOOOOO!

I am *so* buying one of those bad boys. My day just got a whole lot brighter. :rolleyes:

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 11:27 AM

I am *so* buying one of those bad boys. My day just got a whole lot brighter. :rolleyes:

NO!!! Don't buy the IIci yet! The ci Rev B's are going to be announced any day now!

Dreadnought
Mar 23, 2004, 11:43 AM

You really made my day. This was the first good laugh all day! But I think you are on to something!

morkintosh
Mar 23, 2004, 11:45 AM

IIci or IIc ... they've both got a lot of life in them, just gotta get that port of lynx working and then I'll be set! If it aint' broke don't fix [change] it: seems to be apples mantra lately

Dreadnought
Mar 23, 2004, 11:45 AM
The new powermacs will probably be announced when the xserves are all delivered. That way, most people don't return it and get a tower. Well, that's what apple is thinking.

daveL
Mar 23, 2004, 12:00 PM
Exactly how would a 2 GHz 970FX, single or dual, require a higher frequency bus than a 2 GHz 970? Answer: It doesn't.

rog
Mar 23, 2004, 12:17 PM
Hooray Motorola! Er, I mean IBM. You finally shipped a new version of a processor that no faster than the one you've been producing for the past 7 months. Or maybe this is Apple's fault. Who knows, but it still feels like 1999, as each cycle between updates gets longer and less impressive, (e.g. 10 months for a 20% Powerbook speed bump). $3000 for an SP 2GHz? What are they smoking. Would have been a bad deal a year ago. Today, it's a joke.

hayesk
Mar 23, 2004, 12:26 PM
Hooray Motorola! Er, I mean IBM. You finally shipped a new version of a processor that no faster than the one you've been producing for the past 7 months. Or maybe this is Apple's fault. Who knows, but it still feels like 1999, as each cycle between updates gets longer and less impressive, (e.g. 10 months for a 20% Powerbook speed bump). $3000 for an SP 2GHz? What are they smoking. Would have been a bad deal a year ago. Today, it's a joke.

Go find me a Win2K Server with the same specs for less than $3000. Don't forget to price in the unlimited client license.

a17inchFuture
Mar 23, 2004, 12:31 PM

I agree, Apple needs to wake up: THEY ARE FALLING BEHIND IN EVERY FRICKING FACET! except of course the only thing they visibly care about anymore, itunes and ipods, whowooo!!! Now we can listen to music on the road . . . still . . . and listen to more than one cd per trip . . . still.

I can't believe that they delayed the Xserve's a month, and that was merely a front, cause they really delayed the singles a month, and the doubles twice as long?? Everyone here should be ******* pissed that they are so damn behind but still have the balls to charge four times as much as any non-mac comp.

And as far as Pbooks go, don't even get me started. As far as I am concerned, everyone at Apple should put down whatever the heck they are doing and turn their attnetion toward pbooks. I mean, my god, the powerbook is a piece of out-dated crap now (not really, but in comparison to what it should be, and where apple should be with them), and it is still selling the 8th overall position at Apple, and the highest selling of all computers they sell. IMAGINE IF THEY UPDATED TO G5's!!!! They would be first on the entire apple site!!

I have to say, I think Apple is really hurting there business alot. The more they wait for stupid as conventions and stuff, to "announce" their new computers, the more they hurt their business.

And, oh my god, if they announce another G4 line before the g5 pbooks, I swear, I will drive to Cupertino and start spraying.

(not really, i don't own a gun, nor would i ever care enough to drive to california or shoot someone, let alone many!)

a17inchFuture
Mar 23, 2004, 12:43 PM
I agree, Apple needs to wake up: THEY ARE FALLING BEHIND IN EVERY FRICKING FACET! except of course the only thing they visibly care about anymore, itunes and ipods, whowooo!!! Now we can listen to music on the road . . . still . . . and listen to more than one cd per trip . . . still.

I can't believe that they delayed the Xserve's a month, and that was merely a front, cause they really delayed the singles a month, and the doubles twice as long?? Everyone here should be ******* pissed that they are so damn behind but still have the balls to charge four times as much as any non-mac comp.

And as far as Pbooks go, don't even get me started. As far as I am concerned, everyone at Apple should put down whatever the heck they are doing and turn their attnetion toward pbooks. I mean, my god, the powerbook is a piece of out-dated crap now (not really, but in comparison to what it should be, and where apple should be with them), and it is still selling the 8th overall position at Apple, and the highest selling of all computers they sell. IMAGINE IF THEY UPDATED TO G5's!!!! They would be first on the entire apple site!!

I have to say, I think Apple is really hurting there business alot. The more they wait for stupid as conventions and stuff, to "announce" their new computers, the more they hurt their business.

And, oh my god, if they announce another G4 line before the g5 pbooks, I swear, I will drive to Cupertino and start spraying.

(not really, i don't own a gun, nor would i ever care enough to drive to california or shoot someone, let alone many!)

And for those who think waiting for current supplys of PB G4's to sell out, etc. . . . ask Nintendo how the waiting strategy goes. They waited longer than sony and microsoft to perfect their next-gen console (which is now the gamecube, and look at where it got them: last place in a great market, a heavily reduced price (more than 50 percent chearper tha xbox or ps2) that must hurt net income greatly, and thrid-party suppliers that virtually cancel the making of their games on teh gamecube console as often as they make them.

P.S. Yeah, I'm replying to myself, you gotta problem??

captain kirk
Mar 23, 2004, 12:44 PM

Sorry to have to say this but I really think you will be disappointed. There will be one more G4 revision at 1.5Ghz before the powerbooks go G5. There is no point constantly whining about it though. You think Apple doesn't know that the world wants a G5 powerbook? If they could produce one right now that was viable then they would. You forget the serious implications of a rushed to market product that goes badly wrong, (think windows 98!!!!)

Anyway sorry to get the hump it just winds me up that every thread ends up talking about non existent G5 powerbooks!

Spades
Mar 23, 2004, 12:51 PM
Last I heard the Gamecube was second, beating out XBox. That may have changed back again by now. Also, common thought about consoles is that you always sell the hardware at a loss and make it back on game sales. The pricing of the Gamecube is definitely an attractive point. It's one of the factors that helped me decide on it over the PS2. The Gamecube has even come down in price since I bought it, but the PS2 has yet to reach the price I originally paid. Lower price = more hardware sales, and more loss. But more hardware sales = more game sales, which is more gain. It's a balancing act, and Nintendo seems to be do OK at it. Maybe not as well as they could, but they're OK.

And for those who think waiting for current supplys of PB G4's to sell out, etc. . . . ask Nintendo how the waiting strategy goes. They waited longer than sony and microsoft to perfect their next-gen console (which is now the gamecube, and look at where it got them: last place in a great market, a heavily reduced price (more than 50 percent chearper tha xbox or ps2) that must hurt net income greatly, and thrid-party suppliers that virtually cancel the making of their games on teh gamecube console as often as they make them.

a17inchFuture
Mar 23, 2004, 12:52 PM
Sorry to have to say this but I really think you will be disappointed. There will be one more G4 revision at 1.5Ghz before the powerbooks go G5. There is no point constantly whining about it though. You think Apple doesn't know that the world wants a G5 powerbook? If they could produce one right now that was viable then they would. You forget the serious implications of a rushed to market product that goes badly wrong, (think windows 98!!!!)

Anyway sorry to get the hump it just winds me up that every thread ends up talking about non existent G5 powerbooks!

P.S. you don't know what you're talking about . . . neither do I, for that matter, but they could be sitting in job's office right now. As we can tell from the xserves, they are having some probelms with the new 970FX processors, whether it be quantity or quality, so why are we to assume that that is NOT the only thing holding them up . . back in theday, everyone was sure it was only the processor heat holding it up, and now that thats no longer an issue, everyone seems to hav eforgottne that and made it out that Apple is having some massive problems with new tech, etc. . . . If apple is trying to release the g5pbook with some new technology, they should already just quite it. AS i pointed out in my nintendo post, waiting on tech, or innovating isn't always the smartest idea (business-wise), and I think they should be more concerned about catching up, then they should worry about new tech.

Leave the new tech for the next rev of g5 pbooks, the same way we are being led to believe they are leaving that tech for the rev. b (or c) towers.

a17inchFuture
Mar 23, 2004, 12:56 PM
Last I heard the Gamecube was second, beating out XBox. That may have changed back again by now. Also, common thought about consoles is that you always sell the hardware at a loss and make it back on game sales. The pricing of the Gamecube is definitely an attractive point. It's one of the factors that helped me decide on it over the PS2. The Gamecube has even come down in price since I bought it, but the PS2 has yet to reach the price I originally paid. Lower price = more hardware sales, and more loss. But more hardware sales = more game sales, which is more gain. It's a balancing act, and Nintendo seems to be do OK at it. Maybe not as well as they could, but they're OK.

Yeah, I think you are right, but the statement still holds true, because microsfot had built-in software providers, whereas nintendo didn't (or at least their's aren't that productive). The simple fac tis that nintendo HAD to drop their price becaus ehtey were losing money. Apple will be following post-suite, if they continue this crap marketing scheme they seem to love.

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 12:57 PM
You forget the serious implications of a rushed to market product that goes badly wrong, (think windows 98!!!!)

Did you need the '98'? ;)

Rocketman
Mar 23, 2004, 01:03 PM

So in other words, Steve went to bed last night saying with all the buzz, "we have to announce something, anything tomorrow."

Rocketman

ALoLA
Mar 23, 2004, 01:06 PM

Doh! I just got a IIcx. Should've waited! ;) Talk about flashing back...what...15 years ago! :eek:

captain kirk
Mar 23, 2004, 01:27 PM
P.S. you don't know what you're talking about . . . neither do I, for that matter, but they could be sitting in job's office right now. As we can tell from the xserves, they are having some probelms with the new 970FX processors, whether it be quantity or quality, so why are we to assume that that is NOT the only thing holding them up . . back in theday, everyone was sure it was only the processor heat holding it up, and now that thats no longer an issue, everyone seems to hav eforgottne that and made it out that Apple is having some massive problems with new tech, etc. . . . If apple is trying to release the g5pbook with some new technology, they should already just quite it. AS i pointed out in my nintendo post, waiting on tech, or innovating isn't always the smartest idea (business-wise), and I think they should be more concerned about catching up, then they should worry about new tech.

Leave the new tech for the next rev of g5 pbooks, the same way we are being led to believe they are leaving that tech for the rev. b (or c) towers.

So what you are really saying is that you would be quite happy for apple to release a G5 powerbook next week even if it meant a massive class action lawsuit from all the people who would burn their laps, a unit that may weigh 3.5 kg with a battery life of 45 minutes and that has logic board failure after 18 months, that my friend may be good publicity short term but it is bad business long term! pull your head out of the sand, they will release a G5 powerbook when it's good and ready. Look at how long it took to get a G4 in a laptop (around 18 months) and the G4 was/is by design an embedded chip not a server chip like the ppc970.

rhpenguin
Mar 23, 2004, 01:31 PM

And start bumping up the mhz on the 12" iBook. :D

iriejedi
Mar 23, 2004, 01:32 PM
I love recalling how I spent $3200+ on my IIci with an educational discount...
And the SHOCK of having to buy a monitor - all my other macs came with one!

*sigh*.... the good old days!

Palad1
Mar 23, 2004, 02:05 PM

Last time I checked, Nintendo turned a profit on the consoles market. Did Microsoft achieve the same thing? I think your analogy is not quite accurate here. Plus, most people (including me) bought a Nintendo GC just to play Nintendo endorsed Games.

Now, I don't think this applies to apple... Do you know anyone who wants to buy a mac just to use apple applications (iLife, GB, AWorks...) Oh wait... :D

thatwendigo
Mar 23, 2004, 03:08 PM
P.S. you don't know what you're talking about . . . neither do I, for that matter, but they could be sitting in job's office right now.

Or they could be sitting in an Apple R&D lab, while they work out all the issues that you never touch on. You can rail at the engineers for being incompetent all that you like, but I'm pretty sure that you couldn't create a 1" enclosure that holds all these technologies you seem to think are so amazingly easy to manage. For comparison, the PC world doesn't have a whole lot that can match the PowerBooks in style and power, and the ones that beat it on outright speed are battery-hogging and not even close to the same form factor.

As we can tell from the xserves, they are having some probelms with the new 970FX processors, whether it be quantity or quality, so why are we to assume that that is NOT the only thing holding them up . . back in theday, everyone was sure it was only the processor heat holding it up, and now that thats no longer an issue, everyone seems to hav eforgottne that and made it out that Apple is having some massive problems with new tech, etc. . . .

Wait... Who says that there isn't a problem with the 970FX? Last I heard, it's still running hotter than the G4, though it's at higher clock. A 2.0ghz G5 runs something like 25.4 watts, while a 1.4 7557 runs at, if I recall correctly, 12-16 watts. Sounds like a small difference, doesn't it? Well, add in the new ASIC, the faster hard drives you'd need to really make effective use of the bus, the faster RAM so that you can keep the pipe fed, the faster SuperDrive that everyone wants... We're talking about major wattage increases across the board, which means that they need some kind of new battery technology to keep it all running effectively, and that says nothing of trying to keep it all cool within something that is thinner than the Xserve and doesn't have the advantage of a wall power supply to run a cooling system that is constantly on in the device you're trying to compare it to.

So, we can have a performance-starved G5 laptop that wouldn't really do much more than the current G4, gets far less battery life, and burns the hell out of your lap, all while running like a leafblower, or we can wait a little while. My next computer is likely to be a 15" G5 PB, whenever they come out, but I would like them to be good, solidly engineered machiens, not a kludge job to appease people who have no patience.

Apple is a business, and they're trying to make money. They know they need to keep up. If you can't wait, I hear Centrinos are nice, on the other side of the fence.

If apple is trying to release the g5pbook with some new technology, they should already just quite it. AS i pointed out in my nintendo post, waiting on tech, or innovating isn't always the smartest idea (business-wise), and I think they should be more concerned about catching up, then they should worry about new tech.

You don't get it, do you? The whole thing is new technology. The motherboards could just be updated before, but these have to be built from the ground up, and it involves all kinds of technologies that Apple has never needed to fit into a laptop before. With a tower, you have room and options on cooling, but this is a different ballgame. I'd love to see a wattage chart for the old machines, and then a solid figure for the newer components, because I bet we're talking something on the order of a two or three fold increase in heat.

That's not simple to solve.

porovaara
Mar 23, 2004, 04:09 PM
Exactly how would a 2 GHz 970FX, single or dual, require a higher frequency bus than a 2 GHz 970? Answer: It doesn't.
A 2.0 wouldn't, correct.

daveL
Mar 23, 2004, 05:07 PM
A 2.0 wouldn't, correct.
Just to state the obvious, the thread concerns Xserve G5, and it only comes in the 2.0 GHz flavor. Otherwise, I wouldn't have posted. No worries.

bazad
Mar 23, 2004, 10:48 PM
You don't get it, do you? The whole thing is new technology. The motherboards could just be updated before, but these have to be built from the ground up, and it involves all kinds of technologies that Apple has never needed to fit into a laptop before. With a tower, you have room and options on cooling, but this is a different ballgame. I'd love to see a wattage chart for the old machines, and then a solid figure for the newer components, because I bet we're talking something on the order of a two or three fold increase in heat.

I hope they solve it. I can't imagine how one could efficiently remove all this heat and keep machine quiet. Water cooling? :) Do we talk about cars? Cars started with air cooling...

I don't want to get a hot laptop and I want to get G5 powerbook. It should be fast, quiet, reliable and the best in Mac tradition. Otherwise why don't I get PC laptop. This would be my first Mac... Oh, just need to be patient.

I also want to make sure that Microsoft releases its PC emulation for G5. I need to run some PC software.

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 10:55 PM
...I'd love to see a wattage chart for the old machines, and then a solid figure for the newer components, because I bet we're talking something on the order of a two or three fold increase in heat.

Which is, of course, why the new G5 PB's will come with the choice of either a built-in coffee mug warmer or a bagel pizza oven. :)

Seriously, though, you are of course right. The laws of thermodynamics don't really care too much that Apple needs to create G5 PB's soon.

~Shard~
Mar 23, 2004, 11:18 PM
P.S. you don't know what you're talking about . . . neither do I, for that matter, but they could be sitting in job's office right now.

Could be, but I doubt it. I think if they're sitting anywhere, they'd be in Apple's testing labs right now. If they WERE sitting in Jobs' office, I'd expect an announcement on their release fairly soon! There are so many issues that arise inherent in a new chip such as the G5, new technology for that chip (making it smaller), and then the redesign issues of a model, i.e. the complete redesign of the PowerBook to accommodate a G5, let alone all the updated hardware components in general, that it is not as simple and snapping one's fingers. ;) These things take time, and when you're looking at implementing a new (hot!) chip in a laptop, bringing in a new motherboard, new hardware, and basically redesigning the whole thing from scratch, you want to take your time - unless you want to rush it to market and have a lot of unhappy Mac users with burnt laps returning them and suing Apple. Greatness takes time, so let's be patient with Apple on this and let them release a quality product when the time is right. I'm all for G5 PBs now, but I appreciate the effort that is going into their design and am patient - patience is a virtue. :cool: I'd like to see G5 iMacs, 3 GHz PMs, video iPods, and so on and so forth, yet I know these will all come in good time.

MacinDoc
Mar 23, 2004, 11:29 PM
Let's hope this means that IBM is ramping up its 970FX production and we'll see this cooler and (hopefully) less expensive chip (and higher clocked versions of it) in other models soon... (new PowerMacs on March 30, anyone?)

thatwendigo
Mar 24, 2004, 01:05 AM
I don't want to get a hot laptop and I want to get G5 powerbook. It should be fast, quiet, reliable and the best in Mac tradition. Otherwise why don't I get PC laptop. This would be my first Mac... Oh, just need to be patient.

I also want to make sure that Microsoft releases its PC emulation for G5. I need to run some PC software.

I think we all do, bazad, and that's why some of us are more than willing to give Apple the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the engineering of the PowerBooks. We've heard repeated calls for the 970 to go into the laptops, but I don't think that they're the best chips for the job. Some time ago, we had announcements of PowerPC 750vx chips, which would basically equate to a super-G4. They're faster per-clock, clocked higher (starting at 2.0ghz), lower heat (11 watts at 2ghz, as opposed to 20 at 1.4), and higher bus (400mhz). Rather than cramming a single hot chip into the laptops, I'd much rather see a dual 750vx machine, which would have less in the way of total redesign than the 970, because the pin structure and layout are the same as older 750s. You'd need a new ASIC and bus to control and feed it, but it would be a lot less heat-intensive than a G5, and also give the benefits of SMT in a laptop.

How cool would that be?

Which is, of course, why the new G5 PB's will come with the choice of either a built-in coffee mug warmer or a bagel pizza oven. :)

Can I make shark-fin bagel pizzas, to go with my shark-fin nachos? :D

Oh, and Shard... You read my mind, man. Kudos!

~Shard~
Mar 24, 2004, 07:27 AM
... How cool would that be?

Literally or figuratively? :cool:

EggyToast
Mar 24, 2004, 07:40 AM
Last time I checked, Nintendo turned a profit on the consoles market. Did Microsoft achieve the same thing? I think your analogy is not quite accurate here. Plus, most people (including me) bought a Nintendo GC just to play Nintendo endorsed Games.

Nintendo made money on the GameCube hardware as soon as it was released, at $200 (which was cheaper than the competition then, too). The amount they lose on each hardware sale is, they claim, "negligible." Microsoft was losing over $100 on each Xbox sold when they were first released at $300, and that hasn't changed much -- they've followed their own cost reductions with price reductions. They've also lost millions on the console in general, keeping their investors happy by saying that the Xbox is a trojan horse for future consoles (which, as Nintendo and Sega will tell you, doesn't exactly hold true in the game wars).

Nintendo is second in sales in the world, but is losing to Microsoft in the US by under a million consoles. But it's still making gobs of profit. Microsoft only keeps the Xbox alive by funding it from its other departments.

AidenShaw
Mar 24, 2004, 08:45 AM

Shipping singles could also mean that there's a bug in the Apple chipset that only dual-CPU systems see. They're saving face by shipping some singles now....

It'll be nasty if the early singles can't be upgraded to duals. (Or does Apple even sell upgrades - all the dualie x86 1U systems that I've seen are field upgradeable to dual CPU, just plug in the second CPU (and maybe a VRM).)

Besides, the bus on the 2.0GHz Xserve runs a 1GHz, just like the bus on the 2.0GHz Power Mac.

Other than official support for simple ECC memory, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the architecture of the Power Mac and the Xserve.

spinko
Mar 24, 2004, 09:41 AM
I have to say, I think Apple is really hurting there business alot. The more they wait for stupid as conventions and stuff, to "announce" their new computers, the more they hurt their business.....

I agree 100%. Forget tradeshows : use the energy to bring the stuff to the market. People will buy if it is good !!

jsw
Mar 24, 2004, 12:11 PM
I agree 100%. Forget tradeshows : use the energy to bring the stuff to the market. People will buy if it is good !!

I don't think Apple sits on a good product so they can announce it at a tradeshow. They always pre-announce hardware, and half the software they announce is not yet ready. It's more of a "here's what's coming soon" thing.

When they have new hardware - actually have it, they announce it, tradeshow or not. They don't have anything yet. I'm sure they wish that they did, but I doubt seriously that they'd sit on anything more than a week.

thatwendigo
Mar 24, 2004, 01:13 PM
Literally or figuratively? :cool:

Both! :p

tsk
Mar 24, 2004, 10:15 PM
Go find me a Win2K Server with the same specs for less than $3000. Don't forget to price in the unlimited client license.

No one I know is seriously going to consider Windows for any server. It would be Linux.

thatwendigo
Mar 24, 2004, 10:28 PM
No one I know is seriously going to consider Windows for any server. It would be Linux.

I think you missed the point, then. He wants an x86 server that's as good as the Xserve, while also allowing unlimited clients and the same feature set.

Urdam
Apr 11, 2004, 03:48 PM
wow, that took waaay to long

marco114
Apr 12, 2004, 01:07 PM
Still waiting for mine.. 4 months later :(

MadMan
Apr 12, 2004, 01:26 PM
Still waiting for mine.. 4 months later :(

My dualie is still listed as "On or before 4/29"

Originally was 3/10.

Oh well :rolleyes:

MM

zkmusa
Apr 16, 2004, 10:21 AM
Still waiting for my Dual 2.0Ghz G5 Xserve.... 4 months later...

MadMan
Apr 30, 2004, 07:15 AM
My dualie is still listed as "On or before 4/29"

Originally was 3/10.

Oh well :rolleyes:

MM

This is starting to get ridiculous :mad:

Mine just got pushed back again to "On or before
06/21/2004"

This would make it OVER 6 MONTHS since I ordered it! Glad I really wasn't counting on it to do much until the fall :rolleyes:

MM

~Shard~
Apr 30, 2004, 07:55 AM
This is starting to get ridiculous :mad:

Mine just got pushed back again to "On or before
06/21/2004"

This would make it OVER 6 MONTHS since I ordered it! Glad I really wasn't counting on it to do much until the fall :rolleyes:

MM

Yikes - how does Apple get away with that?! <shakes head>

BrandonRP0123
Apr 30, 2004, 11:44 AM
I received my (2) single processor models about a month ago.

My dual arrived today.

Golem
May 3, 2004, 02:16 AM
Just got ours In Australia. No one realized it doesnt come with a video card doh!

zkmusa
May 3, 2004, 08:21 AM
Just got ours In Australia. No one realized it doesnt come with a video card doh!

Haha... you can buy them second hand (not from Apple). They go for less than $100

MadMan
May 3, 2004, 08:27 AM

Yea, that almost got me too!

I only found out by looking at the ports and no where was a VGA port.

At this point, it doesn't really matter. Won't be here for a while (6/21) :rolleyes:

MM

marco114
May 18, 2004, 01:45 AM
Got confirmation of 3 Duals shipped for delivery today... I can't wait.. 4 months and 3 days later.

Holy! CRAP

MadMan
May 18, 2004, 08:11 AM
Got confirmation of 3 Duals shipped for delivery today... I can't wait.. 4 months and 3 days later.

Holy! CRAP

Lucky Lucky!!

I'm 5 months and counting :(

Question: Did your servers have the hardware RAID cards? It's beginning to look like this is now the problem.

MM

DMann
Jun 22, 2004, 12:37 AM
Lucky Lucky!!

I'm 5 months and counting :(

Question: Did your servers have the hardware RAID cards? It's beginning to look like this is now the problem.

MM

Raid cards have to be ordered. Since the wait was so long,
it would have been nice to se 2.5 Ghz chips in the XServes
- at least as an option.

MadMan
Jun 22, 2004, 06:55 AM
Raid cards have to be ordered. Since the wait was so long,
it would have been nice to se 2.5 Ghz chips in the XServes
- at least as an option.

I REALLY am beginning to think that they never meant to have RAID cards in the xServe G5 :mad:

My order, placed Jan 11, 2004 was supposed to ship as of June 21, 2004 after being moved back from March to April to May to June and now to FRIGGIN' August!

8 MONTHS !?!?!?!?!

:mad:

Here is my config:

XSERVE/2GHZ DP/2GB/750/CD/RAID PCI/RA/LL

Z08Y03H4X

On or before
08/03/2004

Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 065-4573
2GB DDR400 ECC SDRAM 065-4829
750GB ADM (3X250GB SERIAL ATA) 065-4840
CD-ROM 065-4577
HARDWARE RAID PCI CARD 065-4790
PCI VIDEO CARD 065-4845
Mac OS X Svr,Unlmtd Lic 065-4581
Country Kit 065-4580

Has ANYONE gotten one like this????

Sheez!

MM

MadMan
Jun 22, 2004, 11:03 AM
I just got off the phone with Apple and they confirmed that the RAID card is holding up the order. They just can't get them :eek:

Does anyone know of a RAID 5 card that will work in the G5 xServe?

MM

MadMan
Aug 3, 2004, 07:34 AM
Ah well, unlike the lucky folks getting their 2.5GHz G5's, my little OLD order for a G5 xServe has been pushed back again!!!!

This time it's ONLY been moved back to Aug 24th.

My question is this:

Why is it SOOOOOO hard for Apple to come up with the friggin' hardware raid card?

Seems you can now order an xServe with the RAID card, as someone on MacInTouch mentioned that Apple is listing a 5-7 day ship time on it now.

So where the ^&^*^*& is mine?

MM

MadMan
Aug 6, 2004, 06:16 AM
OMG :eek:

I got the shipping notice today! Apple finally got the RAID cards!

It only took them 6 months ;)

YAHOO!

MM

aidamahn
Aug 6, 2004, 10:43 AM
great news :-) looks like i might be waiting 4 months for my dual 2.5ghz powermac, it's killing me. I coudn't imagine waiting as long as you guys have for an xserve.

MadMan
Aug 6, 2004, 11:22 AM
great news :-) looks like i might be waiting 4 months for my dual 2.5ghz powermac, it's killing me. I coudn't imagine waiting as long as you guys have for an xserve.

What's most amazing is that I just had the date for shipment bumped back to Aug 24, so I was REALLY surprised to see it shipping:)

I've been following the tales of woe of on the 2.5 shipping thread. Unfortunately, this is nothing new when Apple releases a hot new product. I can't tell you how many times I've order the latest right after a Steve Note and been bitterly disappointed that I had to end up waiting months for it.

Hang in there!

MM

stevedekorte
Aug 27, 2004, 06:08 PM
Does anyone know if the Xserve RAID card will work on a G5 PowerMac?

~Shard~
Aug 27, 2004, 06:58 PM
Does anyone know if the Xserve RAID card will work on a G5 PowerMac?

You can connect to a Xserve RAID via a Fibre Channel Card (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72007/wo/LC2KIpCTfIek2cRWyR624eThZ8h/2.0.9.1.0.6.3.21.10.1.7.0.0.3.3.0) in your PowerMac, if that's what you're referring to...

stevedekorte
Aug 28, 2004, 03:40 PM
You can connect to a Xserve RAID via a Fibre Channel Card (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72007/wo/LC2KIpCTfIek2cRWyR624eThZ8h/2.0.9.1.0.6.3.21.10.1.7.0.0.3.3.0) in your PowerMac, if that's what you're referring to...

Hi Shard,

No, I mean the "Xserve G5 PCI Hardware RAID Card" card.
You can find it on the Apple Store - it's the first item under "Server Accessories".

Here is the description:

"This 64-bit/66 MHz PCI card provides enhanced reliability and performance to Xserve G5's internal Serial ATA (SATA) drives using a hardware RAID controller. Bypassing the on-board hard drive controllers, this card provides three independent 150MBps Serial ATA controllers backed by a high-performance RAID processor and 64MB of RAID controller cache with an on-card backup battery."

~Shard~
Aug 28, 2004, 05:26 PM
Hi Shard,

You can find it on the Apple Store - it's the first item under "Server Accessories".

Here is the description:

"This 64-bit/66 MHz PCI card provides enhanced reliability and performance to Xserve G5's internal Serial ATA (SATA) drives using a hardware RAID controller. Bypassing the on-board hard drive controllers, this card provides three independent 150MBps Serial ATA controllers backed by a high-performance RAID processor and 64MB of RAID controller cache with an on-card backup battery."

Ah, gotcha - sorry about that. ;)

jhu
Aug 28, 2004, 06:25 PM
i was just perusing their xserve offerings on their website. they have the xserve raid with ultra ata drives and fibre channel? isn't fibre channel usually coupled with scsi?

aidamahn
Aug 31, 2004, 01:32 PM
i was just perusing their xserve offerings on their website. they have the xserve raid with ultra ata drives and fibre channel? isn't fibre channel usually coupled with scsi?

yep, fibre is scsi. what apple does is hook up slower, cheaper ata drives to the fibre. you still do get good performance, and it is much cheaper that pure fibre drives.

stevedekorte
Oct 8, 2004, 12:09 AM
Hi Shard,

Here is the description:

I ended up purchasing one to give it a try - it works. I'm not using it as the system disk, but it works for additional raid disks.