PDA

View Full Version : Want to do a Clean install for my QS Power MAC

trekster
Feb 14, 2009, 03:55 PM
I purchased a QS a few months ago and this computer is running pretty slow. Especially online. It has 1gb of ram. All I use this machine for is for Internet Access. The thing is, I don't have the CD. Also, I tried Opening up the CD drive but it doesn't open. Maybe I'm pressing the Wrong Button Combination.

Thanks

Dave H
Feb 14, 2009, 07:11 PM
Holding down the F12 key for 3 seconds should make the drive eject.
If not, try holding the left mouse button while starting up.

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 14, 2009, 07:31 PM
Using Terminal utility you can type in the command "drutil tray eject", minus the "" though. Or like previously stated, holding down the mouse button on start up will eject it.

trekster
Feb 14, 2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks how would i forgo on doing a fresh install?

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 14, 2009, 08:59 PM
You need to buy a Retail DVD of Tiger 10.4 or Leopard 10.5 assuming it's at least 867mhz as that's the minimum requirements for Leopard. There are tricks though to install 10.5 on slower machines and you have enough memory so it won't be that bad.

I'd stick with Tiger and back up any data first and then install the OS again zeroing out your old hard drive. Upgrading to a larger faster HDD wouldn't hurt either.

trekster
Feb 15, 2009, 04:23 AM
You need to buy a Retail DVD of Tiger 10.4 or Leopard 10.5 assuming it's at least 867mhz as that's the minimum requirements for Leopard. There are tricks though to install 10.5 on slower machines and you have enough memory so it won't be that bad.

I'd stick with Tiger and back up any data first and then install the OS again zeroing out your old hard drive. Upgrading to a larger faster HDD wouldn't hurt either.

Yeah, its the 867mhz. What is the biggest harddrive that I can hook the mac up with. As well as the RPMS. Also, I use to build PCs from Scratch. Is it any different Formatting a New Harddrive on a Mac instead of Windows. So, I should stick Tiger instead of leopard?

Where can I find a DVD copy of Tiger or Leopard. It also seems that the DVD Drive no longer works. Where would be the best place to acquire the needed items.

Thanks.

SmurfBoxMasta
Feb 15, 2009, 05:32 AM
If your QS is from the original 2001 line, then the biggest HD you can use (w/o adding a pci controller card) is 128GB.

The 02 line did NOT have that limitation, as the mobo was upgraded to support any size of drive. As for RPM's, go for 7200 for the best performance.

However, if you want more sppeeeeed and are willing to spend a few $$, you could upgrade to SATA with a controller card......

With an 867/1GB, you should stay with Tiger for the best performance. Even though Leopard will technically install & run on your machine, it will not be a good experience.......

You could look on the marketplace forum, or ebay or cragslist for Tiger or Leopard, just be sure to get a picture of the disc first to be sure it is a RETAIL copy and NOT the grey/white restore disk that came from apple with some other machine.

DVD drives can be had just about anywhere.....I would recommend Newegg, TigerDirect or OWC......look for the Pioneer 106/108/110/112 series for max compatibility.

Formatting a HD is easy.....insert install disk, choose the "erase & install fresh copy of OS" option and let it do it's thing.....

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 15, 2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah, its the 867mhz. What is the biggest harddrive that I can hook the mac up with. As well as the RPMS. Also, I use to build PCs from Scratch. Is it any different Formatting a New Harddrive on a Mac instead of Windows. So, I should stick Tiger instead of leopard?

Where can I find a DVD copy of Tiger or Leopard. It also seems that the DVD Drive no longer works. Where would be the best place to acquire the needed items.

Thanks.
The 867mhz is the 2001 model so you're stuck with smaller hard drives <128gb. You can find a Retail Tiger DVD on ebay for <$50 or check craigslist.com. You can check either place too for a Pioneer DVD burner. You shouldn't expect to pay more than $25 shipped for a later model as they are around $30 new.

Make sure you format the disc to Apple Partition Map and format as Mac OS-X Extended (Journaled).

Hey you're pretty close btw. I can help out as I have a DVD drive I don't need. PM me if you're interested.

trekster
Feb 24, 2009, 09:33 PM
Sorry, for the late reply. I'm going to start buying the stuff this week. I'm going to install my old 80gb 7200RPM WD HD. I just looked at the prices of tiger on ebay and they are going for over $100 bucks. ouch.

Also, I don't see the marketplace forum here.

drewsof07
Feb 24, 2009, 11:08 PM
I've had both a Sony and another cheap brand DVD-R drive in my quicksilver with full support, you aren't really limited to just pioneer.