PDA

View Full Version : Novell goes for Microsoft on the desktop

MacBytes
Mar 23, 2004, 09:38 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Novell goes for Microsoft on the desktop (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040323103858)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by arn

crenz
Mar 23, 2004, 10:22 AM
Don't know how successful they'll be... but I'm all for more choice. People need to realize that Windows is not the only way to do things.

1macker1
Mar 23, 2004, 10:39 AM
Did they say SuSE linux. **snicker**

eric_n_dfw
Mar 23, 2004, 01:24 PM
Did they say SuSE linux. **snicker**Why the snicker?

1macker1
Mar 23, 2004, 04:10 PM
Because Linux is already a non-factor in the consumer market. And most people who do use Linux use Redhat, SuSE is a thing of the past.

dukemeiser
Mar 23, 2004, 06:32 PM
One day, Microsoft will lose. One day.

sjk
Mar 23, 2004, 08:32 PM
My initial interpretation of "goes for" in the headline was that they'd accepted M$ on the desktop. :eek:

Nermal
Mar 24, 2004, 02:33 AM
Yeah, that's what I thought too :eek:

As for SuSE, what's wrong with it? It's better than Red Hat, and in Europe it's a lot more popular than Red Hat.

crenz
Mar 24, 2004, 05:49 AM
I agree that SuSE's popularity has rather declined in the last few years. It seems that Novell is positioning this against Red Hat's desktop initiative.

sjk
Mar 24, 2004, 01:13 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought too :eek:So did my wife. I was curious how she'd interpret it since she knows hardly anything about computers and their companies; she'd never heard of Novell so I had to tell her "it's a company" so the headline would have context.

As for SuSE, what's wrong with it? It's better than Red Hat, and in Europe it's a lot more popular than Red Hat.Several years ago an interesting conversation at a Usenix LISA conference about the strengths/weaknesses of different flavors of Linux convinced me to tinker with SuSE a bit. I haven't kept up (much) with the evolutionary details of the major Linux distributions but at that time I was more impressed by SuSE than the others.

In general, Americans often give the impression they're more attracted to product branding than product quality. Winning popularity contests is what's important but that arrogantly ignorant attitude isn't fooling the rest of the world as much anymore. ;)