PDA

View Full Version : This is too good to be true. Scam?

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 15, 2009, 02:11 AM
Hi
Browsing Gumtree just now and I found this (http://www.gumtree.com/london/05/34750705.html).
I sent him an email asking him if it was a scam and he sent me a $10 iTunes code. But that was probably just to hook me in so I go and spend 35 on a fake code.
What do you think? He can't possibly be selling them for so cheap could he?

petermcphee
Feb 15, 2009, 02:55 AM
I think it looks too good to be true. I am going to go with scam.

muldul
Feb 15, 2009, 04:19 AM
Yeah, my advice, spend the free gift code and then stay the hell away.

gjw4u
Feb 15, 2009, 04:36 AM
Feels like a good old scam. I would stay away.

jake921660
Feb 15, 2009, 04:51 AM
Anyone know any Australian scams that will send me out a free $10 voucher?

JG271
Feb 15, 2009, 05:20 AM
Scam. But hey, enjoy your gift card voucher! Thats not bad!

Pixellated
Feb 15, 2009, 05:29 AM
I just emailed him fishing for a code LOL. Does the one he gave you work?

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 15, 2009, 06:42 AM

Hahahaha lol yeah it did work. Good luck :D

Jinsou
Feb 15, 2009, 12:55 PM

LoL!!! good one:D

iSaygoodbye
Feb 15, 2009, 03:32 PM
ive used different email acounts and gotten three seperate 10$ codes from him

muldul
Feb 15, 2009, 03:36 PM
What did you say to him to give you the voucher, he wouldn't give it to me; all i asked though was "was this ligit"?

opera57
Feb 15, 2009, 03:53 PM
haha its hard to say wether its legit or not.. the fact you got a free $10 voucher is alright though, might have to give that a try! http://scottty.com/imgs/signature_apple2.jpg

iSaygoodbye
Feb 15, 2009, 04:13 PM
i said i dont believe its real can i pay after getting the code then he gave me the 10$ one

Pixellated
Feb 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
What did you say to him to give you the voucher, he wouldn't give it to me; all i asked though was "was this ligit"?

Just ask for him to prove that they work lo.. he sent me two 20$ codes on two different Emails. :p

iSaygoodbye
Feb 15, 2009, 04:38 PM
ive now gotten four from him using different emails. haha:p thanks OP

ntrigue
Feb 15, 2009, 04:44 PM
It's legit, just not legal. He is using fraudulent credit cards to buy the Gift Cards. If he were caught iTunes may rescind on the code he gave you and your account would go into the negative $10.

iParis
Feb 15, 2009, 04:50 PM
Just sent him an email. Hopefully he gives me a $10 voucher.
Do the codes only work if you live in London?

iSaygoodbye
Feb 15, 2009, 05:24 PM
Just sent him an email. Hopefully he gives me a $10 voucher.
Do the codes only work if you live in London?

i live in the us and four of them worked for meh:p

gan6660
Feb 15, 2009, 06:41 PM
I got one and it worked sent him emails for 5 others through anonomous emails and waiting for a response.

muldul
Feb 15, 2009, 06:53 PM
Yes, i got one too. I am also waiting for a response on another one. Do you reckon he will work out some one is using him. Because every time he gives out a free gift card, he is increasing the odds of him being caught without making any profit.

PEIMAC
Feb 15, 2009, 07:25 PM
I would be a bit worried in using the voucher.
If you can redeem the voucher then it must have been bought with a credit card. It would be a safe bet Apple would have a record of the voucher and the credit card that was used. When the card is reported stolen and tied to the voucher you redeemed.... BUSTED.. :eek: on your account.
If you still wanted to take the chance open up a new account without your name. But then Apple would still know the IP of the machine where music it was downloaded.. thus, again you could be BUSTED :eek:

Good luck

gan6660
Feb 15, 2009, 08:05 PM
Just received another one I am up to $20 now.

jake921660
Feb 15, 2009, 08:05 PM
I got a code of him but I live in Australia and it doesnt work.

But after the post above this Im not sure I want it anyway.

Janglo
Feb 15, 2009, 08:11 PM
By fraudulent, do you mean real and stolen or fake and generated?

iTzChasE
Feb 15, 2009, 11:26 PM
I got 10 bucks. Can you get in trouble if he somehow stole these?

iParis
Feb 15, 2009, 11:32 PM
I just did it and... it works!
Time to do it again on my @live.com account.

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 01:48 AM
LOL I've done it 6 times now. His gotta find out whats happening soon lol.

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 01:59 AM
LOL I've done it 6 times now. His gotta find out whats happening soon lol.

Wow. Are you making email accounts just for this?
Dude, in a couple weeks we should use previously used emails and see if he notices.

yorkshire
Feb 16, 2009, 02:47 AM
Haha, this is funny. Scam the scammer!

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 03:11 AM
Wow. Are you making email accounts just for this?
Dude, in a couple weeks we should use previously used emails and see if he notices.

Yeah lol we should definitely use previously used emails. That would be so funny.

whitebook
Feb 16, 2009, 05:41 AM
haha, this is brilliant but the link doesnt lead me to his page. Has it been removed OP?

Janglo
Feb 16, 2009, 05:59 AM
His site is iTunes-vouchers dot com. Click the scam tab and it says his email address.

I don't think we can get in trouble - if apple says anything, just act dumb and say some guy online gave you the code and he said it was promotional (what it says on his site).

Can't help but feel we may be encouraging his card stealing by doing this though...

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 06:00 AM
It's been removed from Gumtree but you can contact him on his site
http://www.itunes-vouchers.com/contact.php

whitebook
Feb 16, 2009, 06:14 AM
excellent, cheers OP, this should be fun

Janglo
Feb 16, 2009, 07:02 AM
I'm torn on this one...

Hasn't it occurred to anybody that every time we get one of these, some poor guy/girl has $10 taken off their credit card? Isn't it just as bad as stealing on our part?

wwooden
Feb 16, 2009, 07:18 AM
I just emailed the contact info, we'll see if I get a $10 voucher soon.

whitebook
Feb 16, 2009, 08:42 AM
I'm torn on this one...

Hasn't it occurred to anybody that every time we get one of these, some poor guy/girl has $10 taken off their credit card? Isn't it just as bad as stealing on our part?

this is true..............

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 10:29 AM
I'm torn on this one...

No. I have no knowledge of these being stolen. For all I know, It's Bill gates trying to be nice.

iSaygoodbye
Feb 16, 2009, 11:12 AM
No. I have no knowledge of these being stolen. For all I know, It's Bill gates trying to be nice.

exactly!!!:p

Janglo
Feb 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
exactly!!!:p

You can say that, but morally you know that somebody is losing money because of the vouchers that get free (And I don't mean the scammer guy). It's not just a white lie or turning a blind eye - it's somebodies hard earned money (Unless they are scammers :rolleyes:).

iSaygoodbye
Feb 16, 2009, 12:41 PM
You can say that, but morally you know that somebody is losing money because of the vouchers that get free (And I don't mean the scammer guy). It's not just a white lie or turning a blind eye - it's somebodies hard earned money (Unless they are scammers :rolleyes:).

this guy doesnt steal credit cards he hacks the apple sever then sells the codes

Janglo
Feb 16, 2009, 12:48 PM
this guy doesnt steal credit cards he hacks the apple sever then sells the codes

Do we know this for sure?

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 12:50 PM

Wait, were you being sarcastic?

Icestorm815
Feb 16, 2009, 01:07 PM
Most credit cards have an identity theft protection program where if your card is stolen and used for fraudulent purchases you don't have to pay a dime.

Nonetheless.... it still comes down to a moral dilemma.....

iSaygoodbye
Feb 16, 2009, 01:08 PM
no i wasnt. i know a guy who does it and i figured this guy does it too

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 01:08 PM

brb gotta go kill myself b4 I get in trouble

ps <3 :apple:

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 01:15 PM
Iv'e got $100 in iTunes now all from him. And I've just sent 5 more emails...

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 01:17 PM

DAMN! Have you used any of them? Like bought a song/app/video?

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 01:19 PM
LOL
I'm saving them up for when I buy an iPod Touch so I can buy like every app in the app store lol

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 01:20 PM
I tried to hang myself, but i broke my ceiling fan. Oh well.

Wow.You are good. Wait until you use them all and then apple finds out, and subtracts all of it from your account.

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 01:21 PM
My account isn't even hooked up to a bank account and I used fake info, theres no way I could get caught.

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 01:24 PM
My account isn't even hooked up to a bank account and I used fake info, theres no way I could get caught.

Don't you still need to use a credit card? Or did they change it?

wwooden
Feb 16, 2009, 01:26 PM
I sent an email to the contact this morning and got a response back, but with no $10 coupon. Oh well.

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 01:26 PM
I checked my other emails. And he didn't give me any more.

iSaygoodbye
Feb 16, 2009, 01:27 PM
I tried to hang myself, but i broke my ceiling fan. Oh well.

Wow.You are good. Wait until you use them all and then apple finds out, and subtracts all of it from your account.

they cant do that its not like he did anything ilegal some dude just gave him a code

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 01:27 PM

Awesome. Too bad my account is hooked up to my mom's credit card and she doesn't know that I have an account. I took her credit card in the middle of the night and made it, I only buy stuff when I have credit from a gift card or some sort of promotional voucher. At the time I made the account I didn't know that you could use gift cards without having a credit card.

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 01:30 PM
Awesome. Too bad my account is hooked up to my mom's credit card and she doesn't know that I have an account. I took her credit card in the middle of the night and made it, I only buy stuff when I have credit from a gift card or some sort of promotional voucher. At the time I made the account I didn't know that you could use gift cards without having a credit card.

Haha I did that with my dads but i had to make a new account for this because I needed a US one to use the codes and i just used the code instead of a card when i signed up.

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 01:30 PM

How did you make it without the credit card. Im on the screen and it wants everything. Do you just put the code in there and you can skip that part?

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 01:35 PM
How did you make it without the credit card. Im on the screen and it wants everything. Do you just put the code in there and you can skip that part?

I didn't make one without credit card. Maybe try going to redeem at the iTunes store.

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 01:37 PM
Next to all the credit card types that you have to choose there is the option of none. Tick that and it skips the whole billing thing.

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 01:37 PM
I didn't make one without credit card. Maybe try going to redeem at the iTunes store.

ill try that if i get another card.

This is what he emailed to me twice. (dif emails)
The FAQ Page explains how I get them so cheap, please trust, I already have had many happy customers.
Thanks for your interest
N2C

I think he is on to us. He must have got like 50 emails the past day.

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 01:39 PM
Haha I did that with my dads but i had to make a new account for this because I needed a US one to use the codes and i just used the code instead of a card when i signed up.

How did you delete the account? And this may sound stupid, but do they charge you or anything when you cancel it?

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 01:40 PM
How did you delete the account? And this may sound stupid, but do they charge you or anything when you cancel it?

Delete the account? I didn't.

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 01:42 PM
Delete the account? I didn't.

Oh. I get it. And... can you use the same email on two different accounts?

EDIT: I have an idea, I'll just edit my payment information and change the credit card type to none.

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 01:43 PM
Umm.... I dunno. I wouldn't think so.

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 01:47 PM
Umm.... I dunno. I wouldn't think so.

Dude, I got it! My iTunes account is no longer linked to my mom's credit card.
Can someone say shopping spree?!

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 01:52 PM
The bad thing with the codes it that on his website is says you need to redeem them within 24hrs or they expire. I was thinking about selling them. Oh well.

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 01:57 PM
The bad thing with the codes it that on his website is says you need to redeem them within 24hrs or they expire. I was thinking about selling them. Oh well.

U should give me 1 since he wont give me one! :(

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 01:59 PM

Well *****. What apps to buy...

That means you have to spend $100 in iTunes credit in the next 18-24 hours or so, since you got some last night.

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 02:02 PM
Well *****. What apps to buy...

That means you have to spend $100 in iTunes credit in the next 18-24 hours or so, since you got some last night.

No it means you have to type them in, and redeem then in 24 hours. The codes expire in 24 hours, but the money does not.

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 02:03 PM
No it means you have to type them in, and redeem then in 24 hours. They don't Expire, unless you dont put them on itunes.

OH. I get it.
Hmm... I still don't know what to buy. Lol.

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 02:07 PM
U should give me 1 since he wont give me one! :(

LOL I'm sure he will if your patient. If he replies with something like
It is legitimate, look at my site then just reply with can I have a code before I buy please and then he is bound to give you a code.

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 02:10 PM
LOL I'm sure he will if your patient. If he replies with something like
It is legitimate, look at my site then just reply with can I have a code before I buy please and then he is bound to give you a code.

That's exactly what I did.

iSaygoodbye
Feb 16, 2009, 02:12 PM
i currently have gotten 7 from him and have one email to him waiting when i get a reply from him im gonna create another email acount and email him again and so on

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hahaha I wonder when he is going to realize that nobody is actually buying anything of him and people are getting loads of free codes off him.

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 02:19 PM
Hahaha I wonder when he is going to realize that nobody is actually buying anything of him and people are getting loads of free codes off him.

lol I asked if the $200 card was available.

He replied Yes, and gave me another $10.

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 02:22 PM

Well, lets continue until he notices. What's he gonna do, ask for the codes back?:p

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 02:23 PM

Hhahahha! This is awesome!

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 02:23 PM
Well, lets continue until he notices. What's he gonna do, ask for the codes back?:p

Some of my emails have Chase in them. I wonder if he will notice.

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 02:25 PM

Bahahahaha RESULT!

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 02:27 PM
Some of my emails have Chase in them. I wonder if he will notice.

We should make emails that are exactly the same.
An example (I'll just use mine),

ipod_wii_92(1)@yahoo.com
ipod_wii_92(2)@yahoo.com
ipod_wii_92(3)@yahoo.com
ipod_wii_92(4)@yahoo.com
Ect, ect.

yorkshire
Feb 16, 2009, 02:27 PM
Lol I wonder if this guy suspects anything from the sudden mass of emails asking for $10 codes?

Voidness
Feb 16, 2009, 02:29 PM
This feels wrong, but I gave it a shot to see if they'll actually respond. :)

But what if they're actually stealing the money from credit cards to buy the iTunes gift cards as someone mentioned earlier?

iTzChasE
Feb 16, 2009, 02:32 PM
But what if they're actually stealing the money from credit cards to buy the iTunes gift cards as someone mentioned earlier?

I'm not going to use the money i got for awhile. Maybe wait a week or two, see if anything happens. I already removed the CC info from my account, and changed the Address :o.

I would not like to get in trouble, but I guess I cant(maybe).

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 02:37 PM
What are you guys putting down in the box where it ask for your name?

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 02:39 PM
Just put anything that sounds like a proper name lol. I've just been using my friends names.

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 02:40 PM
Just put anything that sounds like a proper name lol. I've just been using my friends names.

Lol. I just used my @live.com account and for the name I put Marie Jacobs. That's nowhere near my real name.
We should but the names of our enemies.

harry20larry
Feb 16, 2009, 02:44 PM
I keep getting redirected to a default cd selling page, screen anyone?

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 16, 2009, 02:48 PM
Heres his site
http://www.itunes-vouchers.com/contact.php

Janglo
Feb 16, 2009, 05:04 PM
Surely it's just best to put your real name and go with the "I was just given a promo code, I didn't know it was fraudulent" line of argument? If you put fake details and Apple look at your IP adress and see your other account - surely they are going to think something is up? Especially if you are connecting the same iPod to the account...

Voidness
Feb 16, 2009, 10:26 PM
I just received a free $10 code. This actually works! :)

But it really doesn't feel right. Should I go ahead and redeem the code?

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 10:39 PM
Woot! Just got my second code!

I just received a free $10 code. This actually works! :)

But it really doesn't feel right. Should I go ahead and redeem the code?

I've already bought two apps, go ahead and redeem it.

Voidness
Feb 16, 2009, 10:43 PM
I've already bought two apps, go ahead and redeem it.
It turns out you need a US iTunes account to redeem the code, but I don't live in the US. I know there's a way to make a US iTunes account, but wouldn't that violate Apple's terms of service?

avihappy
Feb 16, 2009, 11:36 PM
So has anyone (the richer among us) actually tried buying a code? Is this guy legit?

iParis
Feb 16, 2009, 11:39 PM
So has anyone (the richer among us) actually tried buying a code? Is this guy legit?

Chances are he's not, especially since he's just passing out $10 iTunes voucher codes.

petermcphee
Feb 17, 2009, 12:23 AM
This thread gets nary a peep, but mention a torrent in a thread and everyone gets out their morals stick to beat you with.

I don't understand. Oh well.

iParis
Feb 17, 2009, 12:32 AM
This thread gets nary a peep, but mention a torrent in a thread and everyone gets out their morals stick to beat you with.

I don't understand. Oh well.

Because Apple and the record company aren't loosing anything, the $10 is coming from somewhere.

Mr. Giver '94
Feb 17, 2009, 12:42 AM
Definitely subscribing to this thread!! :D I created a new email and sent him an email. We'll see what happens.....

How many time have you guys used the same email?? :confused:

How long did it take for them to reply???

iParis
Feb 17, 2009, 12:46 AM
Definitely subscribing to this thread!! :D I created a new email and sent him an email. We'll see what happens.....

How many time have you guys used the same email?? :confused:

How long did it take for them to reply???

I don't think anybody used the same email more than once.
And it took about a few hours for my second reply, don't remember the first but it wasn't over an hour.

Mr. Giver '94
Feb 17, 2009, 12:47 AM
I don't think anybody used the same email more than once.
And it took about a few hours for my second reply, don't remember the first but it wasn't over an hour.

Cool!!! This totally ROX!!! scamming the scammer as one person said...LOL :D I'll keep you posted....

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 17, 2009, 06:13 AM
His not giving out anymore!
Look! Hes found out!
http://www.itunes-vouchers.com/images/email1.jpg

harry20larry
Feb 17, 2009, 06:28 AM
from what i can see on that image, he can only see your ip if you send it through the website

TheEpicFilmCo
Feb 17, 2009, 06:37 AM
Yeah, it looks like it, none of my emails show my IP address. I asked him if hes going to give out codes to the people whos IP dosnt show but he said that hes going to make a video of him redeeming a code for proof instead of giving out codes.

harry20larry
Feb 17, 2009, 06:45 AM
oh well, i got my $10, I am planning on buying $50 voucher, however, he doesn't sell those

iParis
Feb 17, 2009, 07:39 AM
Yeah, it looks like it, none of my emails show my IP address. I asked him if hes going to give out codes to the people whos IP dosnt show but he said that hes going to make a video of him redeeming a code for proof instead of giving out codes.

The idea of him making a video video of him redeeming the codes doesn't make sense.

And IP address... Pffttt! There are many ways to block that from going out. And which one is he talking about? The IP of our computer, router, iPod? I could just do it from my iPod or my school's computers, or my iPod at my school using their Wi-Fi.

avihappy
Feb 17, 2009, 01:18 PM
It seems he has discontinued the 10 dollar code program entirely. He probably won't even give it to people using a new IP.

iTzChasE
Feb 17, 2009, 03:59 PM
lol oh well.

GSPice
Feb 17, 2009, 04:27 PM
surprise surprise.

Mr. Giver '94
Feb 17, 2009, 05:24 PM
Oh well....I'm sure we can find loads of other sites offering the same thing...LOL :D

Vader
Feb 21, 2009, 10:55 AM
My account balance went down $10, so the voucher must have been revoked.

calculus
Feb 21, 2009, 11:01 AM
My account balance went down $10, so the voucher must have been revoked.

This may just be the start of your troubles...

Vader
Feb 21, 2009, 07:41 PM
Downloaded an app and the money is back.

petemwah
Mar 10, 2009, 08:36 AM
pretty sure this IS a scam. i was quite happy to recieve a $10 voucher which he said he got from a promo company, but since then my account that I use for US purchases has been disabled...

i've emailed apple saying that if the voucher WAS bought with a stolen credit card then i'm happy to reimburse. what would you suggest doing? x

avihappy
Mar 10, 2009, 11:57 PM
annnnddd I think we now know how he did it: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/itunes-store-gift-codes-fall-prey-to-hackers.ars

petemwah
Mar 11, 2009, 05:45 AM
it's definately a scam of sorts, apple emailed me back to confirm that the account was suspended because of credit card charges being refuted, so yes, leave well alone...

on a side note, i was completely honest in my email to apple and offered to reimburse them for the money gotten through this guy and they were VERY kind and helpful in their reply...