Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acuriouslad

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
Ok so I am not the smartest guy in the world and found out that I cannot use the VMware system I created as my boot camp system, but you can the other way around, as in you can set up boot camp and then use that in VMware too. I hope your still with me...

So I want to copy the windows system on my VMware and create a boot camp partition, and use it to make the boot camp exactly the same as my VMware system.

I hope you get that, any help would be fantastic. Thanks

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
You want to convert a VM to a Boot Camp installation?

I have not personally tried it but I guess you could use Norton Ghost in the VM to backup to an external HD. Then you could begin to install Boot Camp, format the partition you've allotted and quit it once the OS installation begins. Then boot to the Ghost CD (create a rescue CD in the VM if you don't have one) and restore the imaged Windows to the Boot Camp partition.

That should work.

If it does then you are probably best off deleting the VM version and using Fusion to access the Boot Camp partition as a VM in the future as you've pointed out is possible. This is how I have my own Fusion set up.

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Why don't you just stick with VMware, going to Boot Camp is rather like downgrading... unless of course you're not bothered about running the two OS's side-by-side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.