Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
I wonder what could be bigger than confirming that mars was once wet. (Which they did a 2-3 weeks ago)

Last time I checked the site, they were looking for fossils (not the dinosauur kind). Maybe thats it, although it sounds to good to be true.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Interesting that they're hyping the discovery. If its good stuff - like life or fossils, then that will speed the development of a manned mission. Although it makes you wonder what it could be besides that....they already know the place was underwater at one point....

D

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
The more I think about it, the less I think it can be as juicy as fossils.

Chances are that the news will be of limited interest for the general public.

(A small part of me is still hoping for something extraordinary though)

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
My understanding is that they haven't confirmed that Mars was once wet -- just that it's extremely extremely extremely likely that it was once wet. You know, good enough "proof" for the media to hype hysterically, but not good enough to satisfy scientists. My guess is that today's announcement is the "good enough for scientists" proof. Though I certainly won't complain if it's something juicier!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Mr. Anderson said:
Interesting that they're hyping the discovery. If its good stuff - like life or fossils, then that will speed the development of a manned mission. Although it makes you wonder what it could be besides that....they already know the place was underwater at one point....

D

They hyped the water discovery just like this, so I'm guessing it's of similar scope - something forecast, but as yet unproven. Possible signs of water vapor? Proof of an ancient civilization that died out after ceasing all productivity whilst awaiting a new G5 announcement?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
they're simply going to elaborate on the water evidence (which is not yet proof, as stated above). nothing new, really, just more information to support the theory.

paul

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
NASA TV nows says "Opportunity Hits The Beach" is what's on at 2 PM EST.

Sounds like more water evidence.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
paulwhannel said:
they're simply going to elaborate on the water evidence (which is not yet proof, as stated above). nothing new, really, just more information to support the theory.

paul

That would be quite... unclimatic.

I Guess we'll know in 5 minutes.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 7, 2002
About to start

UPDATE: Title of presentation is: "Opportunity Hits the Beach"

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
yay! i was right. boo, it's not so exciting. still, i don't think anyone expected to just go up there and find the place littered with some ancient civilization... baby steps. and the first baby step is finding water, so i guess it's not too disappointing...

paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.