PDA

View Full Version : Major Mars Discovery !!!!!!!

srobert
Mar 23, 2004, 11:19 AM
Tired of Mac related Rumors? Try Mars related ones.

Nasa is to announce a 'Major' Discovery by the Opportunity Mars Rover at 2 pm ET.

I wonder what it is. Can't wait.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=96&ncid=753&e=10&u=/space/20040323/sc_space/nasatoannouncemajordiscoverybytheopportunitymarsroverat2pmet

We should be able to hear it live (using realmedia) watching Nasa TV. (Check article for link)

or read it on www.space.com (At 2:00 PM)

keysersoze
Mar 23, 2004, 11:40 AM
ET phoned home?

:)

wdlove
Mar 23, 2004, 11:42 AM
It sounds very interesting. NASA really needs good news.

srobert
Mar 23, 2004, 11:45 AM
I wonder what could be bigger than confirming that mars was once wet. (Which they did a 2-3 weeks ago)

Last time I checked the site, they were looking for fossils (not the dinosauur kind). Maybe thats it, although it sounds to good to be true.

SiliconAddict
Mar 23, 2004, 11:56 AM
Wouldn't it be the **** if they found microbes or something?

Doubtful but it would still be REALLY cool.

Mr. Anderson
Mar 23, 2004, 11:58 AM
Interesting that they're hyping the discovery. If its good stuff - like life or fossils, then that will speed the development of a manned mission. Although it makes you wonder what it could be besides that....they already know the place was underwater at one point....

D

srobert
Mar 23, 2004, 12:01 PM
The more I think about it, the less I think it can be as juicy as fossils.

Chances are that the news will be of limited interest for the general public.

(A small part of me is still hoping for something extraordinary though)

howard
Mar 23, 2004, 12:10 PM
fossilized martian feces!!!!

Bedawyn
Mar 23, 2004, 12:13 PM
My understanding is that they haven't confirmed that Mars was once wet -- just that it's extremely extremely extremely likely that it was once wet. You know, good enough "proof" for the media to hype hysterically, but not good enough to satisfy scientists. My guess is that today's announcement is the "good enough for scientists" proof. Though I certainly won't complain if it's something juicier!

Josh
Mar 23, 2004, 12:15 PM
They are just going to tell us that they found this (http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~ref/public/mars-ad.mpg) to be true :D

Mac-Xpert
Mar 23, 2004, 12:22 PM
Maybe Orson Wells was right after all. "The chance is one in a million but still they come!" :D

davecuse
Mar 23, 2004, 12:25 PM
They are just going to tell us that they found this ( /documents/index_86897_7.htm) to be true :D

I don't get it

Josh
Mar 23, 2004, 12:28 PM
I don't get it
oops - fixed the link.

try again (in the actual post, not the quote)

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 12:43 PM
Interesting that they're hyping the discovery. If its good stuff - like life or fossils, then that will speed the development of a manned mission. Although it makes you wonder what it could be besides that....they already know the place was underwater at one point....

D

They hyped the water discovery just like this, so I'm guessing it's of similar scope - something forecast, but as yet unproven. Possible signs of water vapor? Proof of an ancient civilization that died out after ceasing all productivity whilst awaiting a new G5 announcement?

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 12:44 PM
They are just going to tell us that they found this (http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~ref/public/mars-ad.mpg) to be true :D

Excellent!

ThomasJefferson
Mar 23, 2004, 12:46 PM
Maybe they found a big black piece of architecture making a humming noise?

davecuse
Mar 23, 2004, 12:49 PM
try again

I like it! Very amusing

rainman::|:|
Mar 23, 2004, 12:49 PM
they're simply going to elaborate on the water evidence (which is not yet proof, as stated above). nothing new, really, just more information to support the theory.

paul

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 12:54 PM
NASA TV nows says "Opportunity Hits The Beach" is what's on at 2 PM EST.

Sounds like more water evidence.

srobert
Mar 23, 2004, 12:54 PM
they're simply going to elaborate on the water evidence (which is not yet proof, as stated above). nothing new, really, just more information to support the theory.

paul

That would be quite... unclimatic.

I Guess we'll know in 5 minutes.

srobert
Mar 23, 2004, 12:57 PM
About to start

UPDATE: Title of presentation is: "Opportunity Hits the Beach"

bousozoku
Mar 23, 2004, 01:01 PM

Too bad my Hungarian is so bad. Anyway, that's pretty funny. You can never tell until you've been there. ;)

wordmunger
Mar 23, 2004, 01:09 PM
Not life, just a salty sea. An "Excellent place to search for past life."

jsw
Mar 23, 2004, 01:11 PM
Announcement:

The rocks seen were formed by water, perhaps by a salty sea.

rainman::|:|
Mar 23, 2004, 01:17 PM
yay! i was right. boo, it's not so exciting. still, i don't think anyone expected to just go up there and find the place littered with some ancient civilization... baby steps. and the first baby step is finding water, so i guess it's not too disappointing...

paul

keysersoze
Mar 23, 2004, 01:22 PM
No ET?

:(

srobert
Mar 23, 2004, 01:43 PM
edit: deleted content. redundant post.

boskie
Mar 23, 2004, 03:10 PM
It's a pity they didn't find a Mars wrapper or a used condom along that beach.

Now that would of been an amazing discovery!

Fukui
Mar 23, 2004, 06:39 PM
yay! i was right. boo, it's not so exciting. still, i don't think anyone expected to just go up there and find the place littered with some ancient civilization... baby steps. and the first baby step is finding water, so i guess it's not too disappointing...

paul
Wahhh? What about that guy that said there was a stove, a piston, and the letter 2 on a rock?

MrMacMan
Mar 23, 2004, 11:10 PM
Is still a pretty big find...

Cool.

AngryLawnGnome
Mar 24, 2004, 01:09 AM
I have to say: I love water and I love Mars. Finally the two are united!

Mr. Anderson
Mar 24, 2004, 06:47 AM
Well, its good news and justification for more rovers, that's for sure. They'll probably send a mission to Mars with a rover that will bring back samples now. That's going to be tough, though. What samples do you pick and how do you get them. You're not going to want just what's laying around, you need to dig.

That and you need to lift off the surface, which means landing will have to be more along the lines of the Apollo Lunar Landers and not bouncing in a bunch of balloons. :D

D

srobert
Mar 24, 2004, 07:37 AM
At least, for a sample returning mission, they don't have to lift off the whole thing. I guess they only need to bring back a sample the size of a can of tuna at most, give or take a little. I wonder how big/heavy/powerfull a rocket they'll need to escape martian gravity's (0.4 earth' sgravity) and get back to earth in a short enough period of time. (We'd want the sample to get back to earth before a manned mission reach mars ^_^). Maybe an automated docking would be too complicated but the sample return rocketcraft could re-attach to it's orbiter for additional power. Oh well, I'll let Nasa's boys figure that one out.

jsw
Mar 24, 2004, 01:30 PM
There's an excellent parody of the Mars water finds in this weeks Onion (The Onion (http://www.theonion.com/index.php?i=1)).

jsw
Mar 24, 2004, 01:35 PM
That and you need to lift off the surface, which means landing will have to be more along the lines of the Apollo Lunar Landers and not bouncing in a bunch of balloons. :D
D

Well, actually, there's no reason you couldn't use the "airbag" approach, since that significantly reduces the weight of the thing you're landing (and therefore of the rocket you launch from earth). The launch of the return samples from the Martian surface could still be done by a platform that was originally inside of the "beach ball". I assume they (the samples) would be picked up in orbit and then transferred to Earth, as opposed to launching an Earth-bound device from the surface.

topicolo
Mar 24, 2004, 03:38 PM
Did anyone catch the latest picture from spirit (I think) which showed an unidentified flying object streaking across the martian sky? that was wierd

Dros
Mar 24, 2004, 05:18 PM
Well, its good news and justification for more rovers, that's for sure. They'll probably send a mission to Mars with a rover that will bring back samples now. That's going to be tough, though. What samples do you pick and how do you get them. You're not going to want just what's laying around, you need to dig.
D

I wonder with the lower gravity of Mars if a rail gun could be used to fling rock samples into orbit for collection by a Earth-bound return vehicle? The escape velocity of Mars is ~5 km/s, and I know of home-brew devices that can achieve that. Then you'd just need a digger to go get rocks, something to pack them up, and the rail gun to get them into orbit. Seems like you could get lots of material back to Earth for pretty cheap that way.

jsw
Mar 24, 2004, 06:48 PM
Did anyone catch the latest picture from spirit (I think) which showed an unidentified flying object streaking across the martian sky? that was wierd

Eh? Could you find it on the NASA site and post a link?

topicolo
Mar 28, 2004, 10:05 PM
Eh? Could you find it on the NASA site and post a link?
I did a little looking and here's a URL I found http://www.markcarey.com/mars/ufo-closeup.html

link to the picture at NASA http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/spirit/20040311a/Earth_Sol63A_UFO-A067R1.jpg