Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nitro2k01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
So this is my scenario: I have received a pretty much trashed MacBook. (Damaged screen, keyboard and optical drive) But as far as I can tell though, the CPU is working fine, so I want to recase it somehow and use it as a stationary computer. The only major culprit is the power button, which is situated on the keyboard. How can one emulate pressing the power on button? Do you need the mousepad/keyboard daughter board in order to power it on manually?
Anyone know the pinout for the connector going to the logic board and/or the pinout for the keyboard matrix connection? I would check this out myself, but keeping a multimeter in place on the ribbon cable and in the same time pressing a key is not too easy.

nitro2k01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Figured it out myself.

(Carefully) short these two pins using a low-value resistor (100-470 Ohm) You might be able to briefly short the pins using, eg, a screwdriver, however don't blame me if that fries something.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
Just be warned that if you use it as a stationary computer without the battery the CPU will clock down to 1ghz.

mknawabi

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2006
Irvine, CA
The only way i can think of is by using wake on ethernet. If you can get it on and manage to set it up, you'll be good to go. Can you use a USB keyboard to turn it on?

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
so if i were to remove my battery and just use my power adapter, my macbook would only be 1ghz? would i be able to see that in the about this mac window? and why does it do this?

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
No. It's real. It's to avoid a system crash by lack of enough energy coming from the plug and potentials damage it can cause.

thats not a bad feature than. I was just curious anyway, i assume most ppl who buy a laptop are taking it with them sometimes anyway and not just letting it sit at home. either way, how hard is it to unplug it every so often so it uses battery power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.