PDA

View Full Version : Novell Complete Linux Desktop

pgwalsh
Mar 23, 2004, 11:44 AM
SALT LAKE CITY--In the 1990s, Microsoft defeated Novell in the market for server operating systems. Now Novell is taking the battle back to Redmond, Wash., launching an attack on Microsoft's desktop stronghold.

Full Story:
http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5177257.html?tag=nefd_top

I think this story is a pretty good read. The only thing that disturbs me is the thought that Apple could be this leader, at least on the desktop. But they never will if they don't open the clone market or port to x86. I know it's a beaten topic, but I'd hate to see Apple miss the boat again. They could really become the defacto corporate OS if they allow other hardware OEM's...

rueyeet
Mar 23, 2004, 01:37 PM
I don't think Apple is out to become the de facto corporate OS, even if they'd like to increase marketshare in the enterprise. Microsoft and Dell already have that market cornered, and Dell does it by wringing every last bit of cost savings out of distribution instead of building great computers; Microsoft does it by being a monopoly. Neither of these are good paths for Apple.

What I'd personally like to see is a thoroughly homogenous computing world based on interoperable standards (real standards, not Microsoft standards) in which there are at least several viable alternatives, of which none has a truly dominant share. Apple would probably do better under such a scenario, but in the line of the security professionals who note that dependence on Microsoft is a security liability and a chokehold on real innovation, I wouldn't like to see ANYONE be the "de facto" choice...not even Apple.

pgwalsh
Mar 23, 2004, 02:53 PM
I don't think Apple is out to become the de facto corporate OS, even if they'd like to increase marketshare in the enterprise. Microsoft and Dell already have that market cornered, and Dell does it by wringing every last bit of cost savings out of distribution instead of building great computers; Microsoft does it by being a monopoly. Neither of these are good paths for Apple.

What I'd personally like to see is a thoroughly homogenous computing world based on interoperable standards (real standards, not Microsoft standards) in which there are at least several viable alternatives, of which none has a truly dominant share. Apple would probably do better under such a scenario, but in the line of the security professionals who note that dependence on Microsoft is a security liability and a chokehold on real innovation, I wouldn't like to see ANYONE be the "de facto" choice...not even Apple.I agree with your second paragraph. However I was not trying to imply that apple become the de facto OS for corporations, but to point out that they could be missing an opportunity in that market. Once linux becomes simple enough for the average Joe, then it'll gain huge market share. OS X will gain from this, but I think Apple may be missing an opportunity.

As for Dell and M$. Dell could sell OS X on their own boxes. Plenty of companies seem to make it selling software and I don't see Apple any different. Doesn't mean they can't stills sell their hardware, just means that'll have to compete. What your segguesting is that they don't even try because Dell and MS has already won. Poo on you. Never give up...

I think it would be great to see apple with 20% to 30% of the OS market. If they had a large corporate chunck they could do that. They'll never do it being proprietary and trapping people in their harware/software. Choice for OS and hardware. Linux gives you choice. You can run Suse on x86 or PPC. Then there's the choice of hardware.