View Full Version : Powerbook G4 867mhz w/no cd drive - HELP!!!!
Feb 15, 2009, 11:23 AM
I was trying to upgrade my older 12in powerbook g4 to Leopard. While upgrading the computer froze and a screen popped up notifying me that I had to restart my computer, when I did I had no system folder and it just displays the question mark. I don't have a working cd drive so I was upgrading in target disk mode from my mac mini. I also tried an external cd rom drive but the PB won't boot from the disk. I now have it connected to my mini with the mini being the host. What can I try next? If I used SuperDuper and had it back up my mini's system onto the PB would that work. I also have an external firewire drive could I use SuperDuper on this and try and boot the PB from this drive?
Feb 15, 2009, 08:10 PM
Do you have the original install disks for the pb? If so, use the mini to install them to the pb. Good luck!
Feb 15, 2009, 09:05 PM
Your idea with Super Duper should work. I've also read hints where you can run the Leopard Installer without having to reboot to the DVD. Based on that you could try the following:
1. Boot your PB into Target Disk Mode and connect it to your mini that is booted the normal way.
2. Insert the Leopard install DVD into your mini.
3. Open Terminal and enter the following open "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/"
4. Run the "OSInstall.mpkg package
5. Choose your PB's hard drive to install to
Hint source: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071203051319476