PDA

View Full Version : Replace logic board or part out PowerBook G4

herrdude
Feb 15, 2009, 11:58 AM
I came across a powerbook g4 (dvi, 15 inches, 800mhz, 512mbs, airport card, dvd-rom + cd-rw, after market battery never used and after market ac adapter)) sold "as is" on craig's list. I picked it up for $50. It had everything but the hdd. The first time i plugged it (without hdd) I got the flashing ?. I swapped in another hdd and all I would would get the apple chime followed three soft beeps (nothing on the screen). And then eventually, I would power it on and the only sign of life I would get is the caps lock light on, and the num lock light only if I hit F5 (again nothing on the screen). If i let the powerbook sit without the battery for a while, then I would get the apple chime again but then the power cut out right away. This happens with the adaptor or the battery only which leads me to believe it's not the dc-in board. I have tried different ram, disconnected the airport card, disconnected the cd player. I have tried resetting the PMU and every key combination to reset the PRAM (it never seemed to make a difference).

I am guessing the logic board is defective. (Unless the wizards out there can point out something I missed )

I have priced out a replacement logic board on e-bay for about $100 including shipping.

I dont intend to use this myself, i want to sell it off for the most moolah possible . Knowing that, is it better to replace the logic board or to part it out? The case is pretty beat up, aside from the logic board everything works.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

clyde2801
Feb 15, 2009, 08:11 PM
I think logic boards, even for an older one like this, are pretty expensive. Take it to an apple genius and get a diagnostic. If it's the board, you'd be better off parting it out.