Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZDDP1273

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
My aluminium unibody MacBook is plugged in to the power adapter and the light on the adapter is green. The battery status indicator says "Not Charging." Has anybody ever had this same problem? What do I do?

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Oh, finally someone with a similar problem. I have the same, except my adapter light isn't even on at all...

I went to the Apple Store last week, and they gave me a replacement charger, and I thought it fixed the problem after a couple days of using it, but then it started happening again, so I'm thinking it has to do with the port/logic board. I need to find time to drive the hour and a half to get to the Apple Store though... :(

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
My aluminium unibody MacBook is plugged in to the power adapter and the light on the adapter is green. The battery status indicator says "Not Charging." Has anybody ever had this same problem? What do I do?

That's normal. Its the system saying the battery is full. If you're that concerned, unplug the computer, use it for 5-10min, then plug it back in and it'll start charging again.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
That's normal. Its the system saying the battery is full. If you're that concerned, unplug the computer, use it for 5-10min, then plug it back in and it'll start charging again.

No, that's not what it says when the battery is full...it says "Charged" when it's full..."Not Charging" when it's not full means...well, not charging...

iNash

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Hanslope, UK
No, that's not what it says when the battery is full...it says "Charged" when it's full..."Not Charging" when it's not full means...well, not charging...

I have the same thing in my G4 iBook, every now and then.

Just unplug it and plug it back in again, seems to work a treat.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
I have the same thing in my G4 iBook, every now and then.

Just unplug it and plug it back in again, seems to work a treat.

Yeah I've tried that, doesn't seem to do the trick. The thing is though...say it was working fine, charging and light was orange...then the next minute the light turns off...the charger will still work fine. But then, if I try to unplug it and plug it back in, it doesn't work, and says "Not Charging".

Like right now for example...the light turned off, but the charger is still working properly...

iNash

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Hanslope, UK
Yeah I've tried that, doesn't seem to do the trick. The thing is though...say it was working fine, charging and light was orange...then the next minute the light turns off...the charger will still work fine. But then, if I try to unplug it and plug it back in, it doesn't work, and says "Not Charging".

Like right now for example...the light turned off, but the charger is still working properly...

Hmm that is odd, I would go with either faulty logic board (or the wiring in it) or a faulty battery perhaps (there have been some rumours with this on the net - google Apple MacBook not charging)

I'd take the whole thing to Apple :(

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Hmm that is odd, I would go with either faulty logic board (or the wiring in it) or a faulty battery perhaps (there have been some rumours with this on the net - google Apple MacBook not charging)

I'd take the whole thing to Apple :(

Yeah, I have searched quite a bit, but never found a situation similar to mine...but if you read my first post, I did take it to Apple, and they gave me a new charger (They didn't have any replacement ones in, so the Genius gave me one right off the retail shelf, nice guy). The Genius said if the problem happens again, let them know, and I probably will have to get my logic board replaced. I just would hate to drive an hour to go to the Apple Store again...seeing as I have to share 1 car with my family.

I doubt it's the battery, because the battery works perfectly fine, nothing out of the ordinary with it, it's just the magsafe port that seems to be wacky sometimes.

Faraday

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2004
Melbourne Australia
I had a similar problem, where my Macbook would not charge the battery, but would run off the charger OK.

The charge light on the charger plug would briefly change color when it was plugged into the Macbook, but it would not actually charge up the battery.

The battery was only a few months old, and was tested in another Macbook and found to be OK.

First they replaced the charger, then the magsafe socket assembly - still the same problem.

Then they finally replaced the logic board, which fixed it.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
And that's because it's between 95-100%....

Umm...don't tell me what I'm seeing. It's NOT between 95-100% when it says Not Charging, because it has happened plenty of times, and it is NEVER, I repeat, NEVER between 95-100%.

And as a side note, that still won't explain why my magsafe adapter light isn't on right now, when it IS charged. See picture attached that I just took right now:

I'll take a picture when it says Not Charging when its below 90% when I drain it a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    594.7 KB · Views: 102

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
when it says "not charging", it is supposed to be because you aren't able to draw enough current to charge the battery and run the computer. have you tried using different outlets? how about places other than your home? like a library or coffee house.

if you have tried these and they don't fit, then i would say that you definitely have a problem.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Umm...don't tell me what I'm seeing. It's NOT between 95-100% when it says Not Charging, because it has happened plenty of times, and it is NEVER, I repeat, NEVER between 95-100%.

And as a side note, that still won't explain why my magsafe adapter light isn't on right now, when it IS charged. See picture attached that I just took right now:

I'll take a picture when it says Not Charging when its below 90% when I drain it a bit.

In case you missed the fact that my first post wasn't directed to you, you should check that out, and realize I was talking about the guy in the 2nd post's situation, not yours.

I figured your reply to my first post, was in turn, about HIS issue. If I had wanted to address your issue I would have said "it is a MagSafe connector issue, most likely relating to the logic board of the SMC firmware/hardware."

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
when it says "not charging", it is supposed to be because you aren't able to draw enough current to charge the battery and run the computer. have you tried using different outlets? how about places other than your home? like a library or coffee house.

if you have tried these and they don't fit, then i would say that you definitely have a problem.

Well, the weird thing is, is that MOST of the time, probably around 70% of the time, the charger works perfectly fine, light is on and charging. But sometimes, and I actually have noticed that when the light goes off, the computer is warmer than "normal", probably around 55* C, the light turns off. I have tried different outlets throughout the house...and same thing, most of the time it works perfect, but then sometimes the charger doesn't fully work.

What I really don't get is this: If the charger was already plugged in and then the light turns off later on, the charger still works...but then if I unplug it and plug it back in...it doesn't work.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
i'd call applecare. I'm no expert, but it sounds like the problem has been troubleshot to the point where we can guess that it is logicboard-related.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
i hear that. my closest one is in the minneapolis area, ~250 miles away.

Do you think a Authorized Service Provider can help me out? I have one of those not too far from my house, maybe 20 min...I'll drop by when I can and see if they can do anything.

I wonder if they can look into my (I think) faulty airport card as well. I've been getting shifty reception throughout my house, but the two other macbooks (one white, one last gen pro) both have no problems.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago with an iBook. It ended up being a bad DC board which once replaced solved the problem. Yes, I know the iBook and Al Macbook are different creatures, but your issue and mine sound exactly alike.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Do you think a Authorized Service Provider can help me out? I have one of those not too far from my house, maybe 20 min...I'll drop by when I can and see if they can do anything.

I wonder if they can look into my (I think) faulty airport card as well. I've been getting shifty reception throughout my house, but the two other macbooks (one white, one last gen pro) both have no problems.

I believe that apple certified service providers can handle warranty stuff. i'd call and ask first

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.