Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Which should I do ... I recently got a new D80, and had planned to keep my D40/18-55mm as a backup. However, today I got offered 400.00 for it. Should I keep it as a backup or should I sell it and pick up some lighting gear? (maybe a set of SB-600s?) I have some decent glass ... just picked up the 18-200 VR this weekend, along with the stock 18-135, and the classic 50mm, but my lighting selection (while acceptable) is somewhat outdated.

Opinions?

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
I'd sell it in a heartbeat.. once you get used to a new body the old one just seems outdated. And I think $400 is a fair price. I only got $400 for my D60 kit

Zack

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah, I'd sell it. You'll want to shoot with the D80 now that you have it. You could always justify keeping it as a 2nd body, but as you point out, that money could provide better lighting.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Thanks, just wanted someone to agree with what I thought was the right thing already. Going Once, Going Twice, SOLD!

As a sidenote, this person who is buying it called herself a "Professional" and was apparently raving at how great the Nikon D40 is. While Im not a Pro (as of yet, Photojournalism is kind of a goal at this point) it makes me chuckle how people drop 400-500 on a camera and call themselves a Pro. Once I do, hopefully, go Pro I at least realize Im not going to be able to be a professional Photog with an entry-level SLR camera. Granted you can still take excellent pictures with said SLRs, but they just aren't designed to be the workhorses that the Pro level cameras are. *shrugs* Guess I can't blame someone for trying though, more power to them. As Chase Jarvis says, the more Advanced Amateurs there are out selling themselves, just serves to drive up the going price for Pro level work.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
You'd be amazed at the quality of pix a 'professional' can achieve with a basic DSLR and 'kit' lens... As Lance Armstrong suggested, "It's not about the bike"...

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
You'd be amazed at the quality of pix a 'professional' can achieve with a basic DSLR and 'kit' lens... As Lance Armstrong suggested, "It's not about the bike"...

Yes, and I agreed with that exact sentiment when I said they can produce excellent images. I've sold several prints of images taken with my "lowly" D40/kit lens. My point was the fact the D40/x, even the D80 IMO, are not designed to be a Professional workhorse.

I'd like to see Lance head down a mountain bike path in the Rockies on a carbon fiber racing bike, or ride the Tour de France on a $99.00 10-speed from Walmart ... THEN lets hear him say its not about the bike. Could he do it? Probably. But, is it going to be efficient, with a acceptably low failure rate, and work to enhance his natural ability? Not likely. It about having the suitable gear to do the job right.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
Out of curiosity, did you ask more about the type of work this person does, or did you ask to see some of her work?

I can think of several reasons why a "professional" would like to have a D40 in her toolbox.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
My own inclination is to keep older hardware on hand in case you ever need a backup. I have used a 5D classic for the past year and a half, and had to send it in to Canon for a couple weeks awhile back. My old Rebel XT remained here on hand in case I needed it, which is kind of a peace-of-mind issue as well as a practicality issue, in my view.

Abraxsis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2003
Kentucky
Out of curiosity, did you ask more about the type of work this person does, or did you ask to see some of her work?

I can think of several reasons why a "professional" would like to have a D40 in her toolbox.

I was actually misinformed. She is one of the people in a Wal-Mart "Picture Me" outlet. She has no previous experience with SLRs, and she told me she fixes all her "soft" pictures in Photoshop. So instead of being a snob I explained some things to her and gave her a few good website to go to. Also, for fear of karmic retribution I offered it to her for only 350 which is what used Body/Kit sets are going for on B/H right now.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Exactly, I would still sell the D40, but I do hope that no matter what the OP is taking great images and working on technique if he/she so desires.

I wouldn't want you to come back in four months asking whether you should sell your D80 for a D300, then the D300 for a D3, if you catch my drift.

My own inclination is to keep older hardware on hand in case you ever need a backup. I have used a 5D classic for the past year and a half, and had to send it in to Canon for a couple weeks awhile back. My old Rebel XT remained here on hand in case I needed it, which is kind of a peace-of-mind issue as well as a practicality issue, in my view.

Agreed as well. For the OP, depending on the uses, the single body may be sufficient. If they ever decide to go Pro, or freelance then having a second body is just as important as the first.

My first D2hs was sold for dirt cheap simply because I thought I'd never use it again. Sadly, when my D200 got stuck on a lens (not me, a co-worker actually :mad: ) I had NOTHING TO SHOOT WITH. Had to borrow a D2xs (which became mine shortly after) for a while, but wasn't able to get it for a week.

ArtandStructure

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
Klamath Falls, Oregon
As a sidenote, this person who is buying it called herself a "Professional" and was apparently raving at how great the Nikon D40 is. While Im not a Pro (as of yet, Photojournalism is kind of a goal at this point) it makes me chuckle how people drop 400-500 on a camera and call themselves a Pro. Once I do, hopefully, go Pro I at least realize Im not going to be able to be a professional Photog with an entry-level SLR camera. Granted you can still take excellent pictures with said SLRs, but they just aren't designed to be the workhorses that the Pro level cameras are.

It depends what you need from your camera.

For instance I travel to and hike in Glacier National Park at least once a year and last fall I climbed Mount McLaughlin in southern Oregon. Taking a D3x or even D300 in this circumstance would give me essentially nothing over taking a D90 than more size and weight...and let me tell you my gear was heavy enough as it was in addition to food/water, etc. Likewise taking a 70-200mm VR f/2.8 over the 55-200 VR DX in this situation is equally questionable for the same reason, even if the 70-200 is considered a more "professional" lens.

I am upgrading to a D90 instead of a D300 in large part for this reason.

You don't need a 10 pound monkey wrench to unscrew a 1/8" diameter bolt. That would be unprofessional.

Take care
Jesse Widener
Art and Structure design studio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.