PDA

View Full Version : Real's Glaser exhorts Apple to open iPod

MacBytes
Mar 23, 2004, 02:26 PM
Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Real\'s Glaser exhorts Apple to open iPod (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040323152642)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Mar 23, 2004, 02:27 PM
don't know about you folks, but I don't want any REAL content on my iPod. ever.

Flowbee
Mar 23, 2004, 02:35 PM
From the article:

"Apple's (market) share will go down if they continue to do this," Glaser said. "The only way to presently put songs on an iPod is to (buy) them from iTunes."

Maybe he's not familiar with the concept of ripping a CD and transferring the songs to the iPod. Or maybe he's just a liar.

Kagetenshi
Mar 23, 2004, 02:36 PM
Or maybe he hasn't heard of the (few, small) stores using MP3.

Honestly, once I heard "Real" I knew it would just be a joke.

~J

mainstreetmark
Mar 23, 2004, 02:44 PM
Real sucks like hell, but the point is valid.

If the goal is to sell more iPods, then why not open up to all formats?

If the goal is the music store, why not let the songs sync up with other MP3 players?

If the goal is the AAC format, why not share the Fairplay bit with everyone as well?

Stella
Mar 23, 2004, 02:53 PM
You can argue the same for Real's music store, or for MS forthcoming disaster, which will only support WMA.

You can also argue that since iPod is the most popular music player, all other music stores should aim to support the iPod.

iKenny
Mar 23, 2004, 02:56 PM
They won't do it...yet. It would be smart for Apple to allow other
MP3 players access to the iTunes Store but they can't do this. If
they did, the other companies would instantly figure out the AAC
Fairplay encoding and start selling iPod-compatible songs of
their own, perhaps cheaper, ending Apple's monopoly on iPod
download stores.

As long as iPod is #1, Apple really has no reason to allow others
access to the iPod. Unless customers stop buying iPods because
they don't want to use iTunes (which hasn't happened), there's
no reason for them to make it open.

If I were Apple, I'd be watching this very carefully. As soon as large numbers of customers were being lost because of the forced usage of
iTunes, they would have to open iPod to other stores and open their store to other players, while keeping the iPod-iTunes syncing superior.

innervision
Mar 23, 2004, 02:56 PM
You can also argue that since iPod is the most popular music player, all other music stores should aim to support the iPod.

so true. furthermore, who cares if AAC has consistently tested as the best sounding format out there.

Mr.Hey
Mar 23, 2004, 03:03 PM
Truth of the matter is is that APple's market-share in the MM has increased and with the latest tally of iTMS songs sold its anything but shrinking, that is only the worry for other Music stores and their market-share.

avus
Mar 23, 2004, 03:33 PM
What's really sad is that this guy somehow thought he had a right to preach Apple what to do publicly, and Media, as usual, bought into his thinking :(

Chealion
Mar 23, 2004, 03:53 PM
Someone sounds really, really jealous that he couldn't lock people into using Real. Instead he sees people enjoying using iTunes, even though they are "locked" into the whole AAC and iTunes set up. Pardon me, but I don't see any viable alternatives.

Jerry Spoon
Mar 23, 2004, 03:57 PM
Not completely on topic, but if ITMS isn't raking in huge amounts of money, and yet they're outselling the other online music stores handily, I assume that these others much be bleeding money. How long do you think they can do that and stay around? How much time will pass before other online music stores fold in the towel? Any ideas?

1macker1
Mar 23, 2004, 04:00 PM
He's right, in a way. Why don't I have a choice of which music store i want to shop at. Apple library is lacking many songs, that might be available at other stores. I say give me choice or give me another MP3 player. Screw Apple's encoded AAC format, scew MS WMA format.....long live MP3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kagetenshi
Mar 23, 2004, 04:02 PM
Ew... ever hear of something called sound quality?

~J

formatc
Mar 23, 2004, 04:07 PM
Real to launch AAC format music store
http://www.macminute.com/2004/01/05/real

.... "Sources said the new store will be based on the Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) format -- as are the songs in Apple's rival service -- but wrapped in RealNetworks' own Helix digital rights management technology... Apple's iPod will not be able to play Helix-wrapped songs unless Apple licenses that technology."

1macker1
Mar 23, 2004, 04:08 PM
To the average user, the sound quality from AAC,WMA, to MP3 isn't that different. You ever heard of choice?
Ew... ever hear of something called sound quality?

~J

Kagetenshi
Mar 23, 2004, 04:19 PM
At 128kps, most people I know can tell the difference. At 192, fairly few can, but that's a decent size hike.

~J

Lancetx
Mar 23, 2004, 04:22 PM
To the average user, the sound quality from AAC,WMA, to MP3 isn't that different. You ever heard of choice?

Yeah, well I might ask that same question of M$, Real and some of these others screaming about this. Of course their answer is always gonna be that they're all for choice, as long as the "choice" is their format that is. It's funny how now that the shoe is finally on the other foot, it's the other side doing all of the screaming now. I'm just loving the irony of it all. :p

1macker1
Mar 23, 2004, 04:27 PM
You can't fight the MS monster by becoming the monster. I'm a big music fan, and all my muisc is at 128k, and I cant hear the difference on my headphones. My collection is 50/50 MP3 and AAC. I cant speak for WMA, due to the fact that i dont have any song in WMA format, but I was told that it was better than Mp3.

jasonbw
Mar 23, 2004, 04:36 PM
l love how these other music store reps are screaming to open the ipod. Oddly, the other mp3 players out there haven't been opened to run AAC either. They can even license fairplay if they want to.

I mean, its not like there is much of a difference here. Online music is a commodity, it all sounds the same, it all costs the same (save walmart - insert joke here about modern music). The sad part is its difficult to really shop for music without having to download either another whole program, or running windows/ie. If there was a problem with the ITMS, or if there was some real difference in the quality of another stores music, these guys might have a point.

ALoLA
Mar 23, 2004, 04:43 PM
From the article:

Maybe he's not familiar with the concept of ripping a CD and transferring the songs to the iPod. Or maybe he's just a liar.

Sounds like he's FUD-slinging. So many PC people think that, though. I know I've had to remind/inform at least two PC users recently that iTunes can also rip CDs (as well as burn them).

MrMacMan
Mar 23, 2004, 10:21 PM
Glaser predicted that customers will say, "I bought an iPod and can only shop at one store. What is this? The Soviet Union?"

How fast can you say slander?

I mean really... Apple Compared TO THE SOVIET UNION.

Apple alows a decent amount of formats, I would like to see OGG and FLAC support... (Ogg other players have but not FLAC)

Real -- NO ONE IS ON YOUR SIDE on this.

I have no idea why you want this public you moron.

I want apple to have all of the formats they have now + OGG, FLAC and WMA (maybe, downsides and upsides).

Arg.

solvs
Mar 24, 2004, 12:34 AM
You can have ogg support in iTunes with a plug-in.

e-coli
Mar 24, 2004, 07:45 AM
Oops. I guess you can't make a profit with a digital music service without selling a compatible player.

Where have I heard that before?

.... "Sources said the new store will be based on the Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) format -- as are the songs in Apple's rival service -- but wrapped in RealNetworks' own Helix digital rights management technology... Apple's iPod will not be able to play Helix-wrapped songs unless Apple licenses that technology."

They're just fools. They had the right concept, but buggered it up. Why use AAC with an incompatible DRM? Can any player use this format?

Fools. They have nobody but themselves to blame.

formatc
Mar 24, 2004, 08:14 AM
Can any player use this format?

Not any portable player I know of... Maybe some cell phones with RealPlayer embedded.

My impression is that Real is very, very jealous of iPod + iTunes.