Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Beaut!

Been waiting for this for ages. Finally, reliable cross-platform AV conferencing capability for the Mac and PC masses is here!

Good job Apple!

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Ok, the AV ability is great, but where is my button that let's me edit my profile like AIM does?

xtbfx

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2003
Thirteenva said:
I don't see any changes for those not using video chat.

Thank you Captain Obvious :D

They just changed the video to make it compatible.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I tried using my iSight on AOL - but it thought I didn't have a camera... I tried another camera (Logitech) and AIM refused to detect that either...

iSight, however, worked fine using MSNChat.

MasterMac

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
I'm glad it warns people to quit iChat before updating.

However I don't know why this requires a restart... :confused:

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
That's what i'm waiting for. Also, it's useless if the people using AOL IM dont upgrade to the latest version. And AOL dont send out any information when they release new versions of IM. I use to be versions behind and not know it.:(
ImAlwaysRight said:
Let's make this more than 1 v 1 communication and then we will be talkin'.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
MasterMac said:
I'm glad it warns people to quit iChat before updating.

However I don't know why this requires a restart... :confused:

because it uses the instantMessage framework built into the os i guess

jorel

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2004
This is great, but unfortunately most PC users I know use Trillian instead of the vanilla AOL chat client because of how un-user-friendly it is. But it's another step in the right direction for Apple!

so, is this for windows and mac?

because if so, yay! now I won't have all my windoze friends being immensely confused by ichat, and they'll see my "availible" messages. I can't quite say I have any use for video, though.

Or does this just work with another video format made for windows? That woudl be sad. Or not, b/c if we give windows all the mac software, there'll be that much less to make our computers better. Just the OS, I guess.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
iChat remains Mac only, but it offers Video support with the Windows version of AIM 5.5

dontmatter said:
because if so, yay! now I won't have all my windoze friends being immensely confused by ichat, and they'll see my "availible" messages. I can't quite say I have any use for video, though.

Or does this just work with another video format made for windows? That woudl be sad. Or not, b/c if we give windows all the mac software, there'll be that much less to make our computers better. Just the OS, I guess.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
iChat AV 2.1 sucks - no Audio only

Unfortunately you still can't start a chat (audio) only session with AIM 5.5 or vice versa.

Shame apple can't implement this.... if they can do video + audio, why not audio only?

ionas

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
At Least its Update Day Today

At Least its Update Day Today...

while i had hoped for PM G5 releases we wont see them until 30th or even 18th or 20th april...

well i still have to send in my student id and 99USB for a discount on hw anyway... gotta do that soon now!

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
jorel said:
most PC users I know use Trillian instead of the vanilla AOL chat client because of how un-user-friendly it is.

Trillian? Barely a step up. Bloody thing doesn't even have Unicode support, not to mention proper handling of // commands in chatrooms...

~J

snahabed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2002
New York, NY
FireWire bug not yet fixed.

The bug regarding external firewire hard drives has not yet been fixed. There is definitely still a conflict. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.