Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a031736

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
I have a new computer. Prior to getting rid of the old one, I moved all iTunes data including the library to an external HD. I've now reinstalled iTunes on my new computer, set the preference to point the music folder to the EHD. Just copied many CDs. The music is in the music folder on the EHD, however it appears a new library exists on the computer with today's date (that is the songs did not get loaded to the library on the EHD, it still has last years date). I'm guessing perhaps I should have copied the library from the HD to the computer prior to loading all the new CDs, but since I didn't is there someway to consolidate the one on the computer to the one on the EHD and have the final library reside on the EHD?

a031736

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Okay, I figured it out. Turns out that it wouldn't have helped to move the old library file as when I looked at it, the Music folder file location had the path from my old computer. I had to add my music folder to the new library that had been created on my computer. That is simple enough. On the File pull down menu there's an option to Add Folder to Library. The next step is to update songs on the iPod. When you do this, a message will appear stating the library for the iPod is in a different location, do you want to replace it with this library. If you do this, everything on the iPod is going to be replaced with this new library, but I had added all the music that was on the iPod to this new library in the first step. So replacing what was on the iPod with the new library results in all the old music plus the new music being down loaded to the iPod. Only thing is it takes a long, long time if you have lots of tunes because everything is being reloaded. I figure by the time I wake up tomorrow it will be done, I hope anyway.

andygabriel

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2009
How do i move my itunes library onto an external hard drive?

My macbooks harddisk is almost full and i would like to move my itunes library to my external hardrive. Please give detailed explanations to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.