Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
T

thejazzman10

Original poster
I was wondering if i could use my iPod for music with my mac for primary use, and then transfer files from my mac to a windows machine??

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
thejazzman10 said:
I was wondering if i could use my iPod for music with my mac for primary use, and then transfer files from my mac to a windows machine??

I don't have a pc to test it, but since the iPod is made for both, and you don't need to format it when you start using it, I guess it schould be possible...

my advice: hook it up to a PC and try it :-D

MatMistake

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2004
it'll need to be formatted for a pc (FAT32) rather than a mac (HFS+), but apart from that it'll work fine. I regualrly use mine to transfer stuff from my pc at home to the macs at collage

if yours is formated for a mac, you'll need to run the updater software on a pc to format it for pc. and you'll need your music backed up, as it'll all get wiped

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
what if you want to wipe your hard drive clean, and you have all of you music stored on your iPod - how do you get it back on the computer??

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
carletonmusic said:
I found iPodRip on versiontracker. It did an AMAZING job. Free too!!

Yeah, it seems that there is a whole host of iPod-related software out there developed by small companies and individuals...It's just a testament to the iPod's loyal fan base (as if such a testament were even necessary).

zach

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2003
Medford
MatMistake said:
it'll need to be formatted for a pc (FAT32) rather than a mac (HFS+), but apart from that it'll work fine. I regualrly use mine to transfer stuff from my pc at home to the macs at collage

if yours is formated for a mac, you'll need to run the updater software on a pc to format it for pc. and you'll need your music backed up, as it'll all get wiped

Actually, that's not true.

The new generation of iPods can be used on both Macs and PCs without formatting. It's some sort of hybrid filesystem, or so I have read.

The older iPods do need to be formatted, as you have said, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.