PDA

View Full Version : Is Microsoft the new Apple?

MacBytes
Feb 16, 2009, 08:19 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Is Microsoft the new Apple? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090216091955)
Description:: If imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery, Apple must have a warm fuzzy feeling as Microsoft attempts to clone it's business strategy.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

batchtaster
Feb 16, 2009, 08:23 AM
Uh, no. Microsoft is the same old Microsoft.

It's only the amount of tarnish that's new.

You know what they say about Apple's "halo effect"? Microsoft has that going on too, but their halo is like those clouds permanently situated over the Addams Family (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Addams_Family) house.

branjosef
Feb 16, 2009, 09:23 AM
I thought they already had retail stores around the nation? Walmart, Best Buy, Office Max, Staples.

ClassicBean
Feb 16, 2009, 09:31 AM
I don't bother reading anything by a journalist who can't get their it's/its straight...

"If imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery, Apple must have a warm fuzzy feeling as Microsoft attempts to clone it's business strategy."

This essentially reads, "If imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery, Apple must have a warm fuzzy feeling as Microsoft attempts to clone it is business strategy."

Povilas
Feb 16, 2009, 09:46 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Microsoft
Link: Is Microsoft the new Apple? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20090216091955)
Description:: If imitation really is the sincerest form of flattery, Apple must have a warm fuzzy feeling as Microsoft attempts to clone it's business strategy.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Only idiots can write such articles and only idiots can approve them.

macFanDave
Feb 16, 2009, 10:01 AM
If you specify a time in history, this aphorism can make sense. Microsoft is the new Apple (circa 1995-96). Its leadership is weak, its morale is declining, it has a confusing, convoluted product matrix, and it is making ill-advised ventures into obliquely-related areas and failing miserably.

Yeah, I'd say that Ballmer's Microsoft of 2009 is like Gil Amelio's Apple of the mid-90's.

And we all remember what Michael Dell said of Apple even as it was pulling out of this low point. . .

Yvan256
Feb 16, 2009, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I'd say that Ballmer's Microsoft of 2009 is like Gil Amelio's Apple of the mid-90's.

So, what you're saying is that Microsoft is about 15 years behind the times, as usual? ;)

TheSlush
Feb 16, 2009, 10:50 AM
If you specify a time in history, this aphorism can make sense. Microsoft is the new Apple (circa 1995-96). Its leadership is weak, its morale is declining, it has a confusing, convoluted product matrix, and it is making ill-advised ventures into obliquely-related areas and failing miserably.

And we all remember what Michael Dell said of Apple even as it was pulling out of this low point. . .

So as Apple did, can Microsoft find its own visionary genius to come back, replace Ballmer, and raise the company to new heights of innovation?

Holding my breath, startiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing now....

SPUY767
Feb 16, 2009, 11:14 AM
Only idiots can write such articles and only idiots can approve them.

You're brave.

alexbates
Feb 16, 2009, 12:01 PM
Opening Microsoft retail stores has nothing to do with how much better they are. All it does is give them the ability to show off (and possibly sell more of) their same old awful products.

Tenebrous
Feb 16, 2009, 01:34 PM
You've got to be kidding me. Oh yes, Microsoft is the new Apple. I see people lined up around the block, salivating over Microsoft's latest offering, don't you? Why, people are so hyped that they're camping out, just waiting for the stores to open. Enough with the inane speculation, please.

Povilas
Feb 16, 2009, 01:40 PM
You're brave.

Just pointing the obvious.

sn00pie
Feb 16, 2009, 01:42 PM
It's essentially the same ol' Microsoft upto their usual antics. If you can't beat them, join them.

These Microsoft stores are going to be a flop, I can tell you that. Unless they are able to somehow give customers the vibe and "wow" factor we get when we enter an Apple store, they won't do much for MS.

steveza
Feb 16, 2009, 01:49 PM
You've got to be kidding me. Oh yes, Microsoft is the new Apple. I see people lined up around the block, salivating over Microsoft's latest offering, don't you? Why, people are so hyped that they're camping out, just waiting for the stores to open. Enough with the inane speculation, please.You mean like this maybe? http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2005/dec/02/xbox360launch :P

Full of Win
Feb 16, 2009, 02:14 PM
Microsoft has lots of money, a ton of profit generating IPs, a foothold in the majorty of US homes, and a lot of talent. All they need is the right set of conditions and they could very well be the next Apple.

sybase
Feb 16, 2009, 02:56 PM

branjosef
Feb 16, 2009, 02:58 PM
I don't like referring to anything twice in a sentence. That's just how I roll :cool:

twoodcc
Feb 16, 2009, 06:48 PM
not a bad article, though it didn't have to be in 3 pages. i like how it ended though, " is Microsoft the new Apple? The answer would seem to be a firm no, but it sure would like to be."

of course microsoft wants to be more like apple, but they sure don't want to admit it

Syrus28
Feb 16, 2009, 07:21 PM

Except, you know... Microsoft recorded it highest profits 6 months ago.. They actually had a 11% drop, down to $4.17 billion. Still, if you consider that failing, Apple doesn't even function.

Anyways, here are some pictures I've found for the prototype. It's a LOT bigger than a Apple Store, suprisingly.

MisterMe
Feb 16, 2009, 07:24 PM
So as Apple did, can Microsoft find its own visionary genius to come back, replace Ballmer, and raise the company to new heights of innovation?

....Apple's visionary genius co-founded the company. In his second tour of duty, Steve Jobs had grown-up and brought much needed discipline to his old company. There is no one at Microsoft who fills the slot in its history that Jobs fills at Apple.

Syrus28
Feb 16, 2009, 07:24 PM
Apple's visionary genius co-founded the company. In his second tour of duty, Steve Jobs had grown-up and brought much needed discipline to his old company. There is no one at Microsoft who fills the slot in its history that Jobs fills at Apple.
Bill Gates?

Tallest Skil
Feb 16, 2009, 07:27 PM
Except, you know... Microsoft recorded it highest profits ever last quarter...

And somehow still had to lay off 5,000 people.

branjosef
Feb 16, 2009, 07:32 PM
And somehow still had to lay off 5,000 people.

It must of been all the bad employees

Syrus28
Feb 16, 2009, 07:42 PM
It must of been all the bad employees

Actually, it because the the R&D costs of the Entertainment and Devices Division has skyrocketed but it's profitability (so far) is minimal. Most layoffs were in that division.

GeekOFComedy
Feb 16, 2009, 07:43 PM
The thing though is 40% of customers are females and 2-4% are geeks and the rest usually care more about design and everything else so I'm thinking a MacBook Vs A Dell in a women's opinion she would go for the MacBook because of how sexy and innovative it is. Just like when the iPhone came out. 70% of the buyers were female and if you go to a school and mention iPhone everyone will talk about how they want one. So the best Microsoft will do is attract the: Gamers,MS Geeks,Affordable computing so that's is 60-70% of the population. Thinking about it 45% will be there for 360s and the rest will be looking at computing. So until Apple decides to advertise the iTunes App store they will be 2% behind Microsoft for retail profit. But if Apple really advertises the App store in their retail markets the income will sky rocket

isaki87
Feb 16, 2009, 08:46 PM
Except, you know... Microsoft recorded it highest profits 6 months ago.. They actually had a 11% drop, down to $4.17 billion. Still, if you consider that failing, Apple doesn't even function.

Anyways, here are some pictures I've found for the prototype. It's a LOT bigger than a Apple Store, suprisingly.
I think that looks more like Best Buy, than the Apple Store.

MattInOz
Feb 16, 2009, 11:16 PM

Shopping trolley in a computer store.
I think that sums up the difference between Apple and Microsoft right there.

MisterMe
Feb 16, 2009, 11:19 PM
Bill Gates?Not even close.

jav6454
Feb 16, 2009, 11:57 PM
Shopping cart in a computer store? I can see a shopping basket (say if you buy XBox games and such), but for computers, not even a basket is needed.

Also, something that I have come to realize. The shopping cart/basket experience is very unprofessional in a computer store (not even Best Buy does that in its computers section; at least in the Best Buy near me) because it leaves the consumer to decide and sometimes the consumer knows squat, nada, zilch. In an Apple Store, a rep in blue or orange is there to help you(thats if the store has a low people traffic at the time since they are normally packed full), answer your questions and tell you what's right and wrong.

Apple offers more one-to-one shopping where as MS tries to throw a sh!+load at the consumer and let them decide. Apple simplifies the process to a point where the customer feels confident they made the right choice.

Ubuntu
Feb 17, 2009, 12:00 AM
Shopping trolley in a computer store.
I think that sums up the difference between Apple and Microsoft right there.

Really? Well then, thats a bit silly. Is that all it takes? Sounds like you made your mind up before you even saw the shopping trolley.

I personally think that the concierges in the Apple store are even worse than MS stores having shopping trolleys. And I'm not being bias, I actually work at an Apple store (thankfully not as a concierge).

sn00pie
Feb 17, 2009, 12:06 AM
Wow, this actually is beginning to sound interesting. The pictures posted remind me of a big box retail store like Best Buy or Future Shop. I don't know how well these stores will do, but its certain that they will hurt competitor sales.

One thing that will be interesting is if these stores sell computers. If so, will they sell units from companies such as HP, Acer, etc? I wouldn't expect to see any computers from Sony in there, as they are in direct competition in the console market.

Definitely going to be interesting to see how this all pans out, and how successful these stores end up being.

X-Dog
Feb 17, 2009, 11:04 PM
You've got to be kidding me. Oh yes, Microsoft is the new Apple. I see people lined up around the block, salivating over Microsoft's latest offering, don't you? Why, people are so hyped that they're camping out, just waiting for the stores to open. Enough with the inane speculation, please.
I remember people did line up and camp out for Windows 95. Obviously that doesn't happen anymore for MS products even though there are a lot more PC users now than there was back in 1995.

NT1440
Feb 17, 2009, 11:07 PM
I remember people did line up and camp out for Windows 95. Obviously that doesn't happen anymore for MS products even though there are a lot more PC users now than there was back in 1995.

And thats part of MS problem. Their IMAGE, at least in the OS department, is crap right now. Thats why they had to rename Vista SP2 to Windows 7 and escape the bad publicity. (kind of joking there)

They continually try to play catch up, instead of saying "Screw it, we are going to focus on the future and change the game".

AlBDamned
Feb 18, 2009, 12:54 AM
I personally think that the concierges in the Apple store are even worse than MS stores having shopping trolleys. And I'm not being bias, I actually work at an Apple store (thankfully not as a concierge).

Unless you're a contractor and don't actually work for Apple, shouldn't you probably be careful about admitting that:

You work in an Apple store and you're posting in a public forum; and

that you think the service given by yourself and your colleagues is awful?

branjosef
Feb 18, 2009, 02:39 AM
I dont think microsoft is the new apple, nor do I think apple is the new microsoft. They're both just jealous of "gateway" MOOOOOO!!!! :D

steveza
Feb 18, 2009, 03:04 AM
One thing that will be interesting is if these stores sell computers. If so, will they sell units from companies such as HP, Acer, etc? I wouldn't expect to see any computers from Sony in there, as they are in direct competition in the console market.MS has close ties with Dell on the desktop/laptop side so they might do a joint venture.

MAGICMOXTER
Feb 18, 2009, 07:36 AM
Until Microsoft has a Unix based O/S it still sucks. Big Time.

Windows 7 Sucks, Yes, its better than Vista, and faster, but its unnecessarily complicated and illogical which, you guessed it....sucks.

Theres still no reason to upgrade from XP in my view, come on Microsoft, actually earn my money!!

Ubuntu
Feb 18, 2009, 01:09 PM
Unless you're a contractor and don't actually work for Apple, shouldn't you probably be careful about admitting that:

You work in an Apple store and you're posting in a public forum; and

that you think the service given by yourself and your colleagues is awful?

No, they do it really well, but I just personally think that the idea of having people randomly greet customers with a forced level of enthusiasm is one of the Apple store's poor aspects. The general staff atmosphere is brilliant, and the concierges are always good people, but I just think its a bit of a silly role. Thankfully they unofficially do more than just stand there and greet people.

IJ Reilly
Feb 18, 2009, 01:29 PM
MS has close ties with Dell on the desktop/laptop side so they might do a joint venture.

And the rest of Microsoft's OEM customers -- what are they going to think of Microsoft doing a special deal with Dell?