Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Just comparing a refurb vs new (white) MacBook, is there a noticeable difference in CPU power between the older 2.4GHz on 800MHz bus vs. the new 2.0GHz on 1066MHz bus? I know the newer also has the better video card. They're both listed at the same price, so just looking for best bang for the buck.

Thanks!

iPaddy

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2009
I was just about to post this question.
I'm going into the Apple Store tomorrow to buy either the new White Macbook or an older refurb.

Corvillus

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2008
Just comparing a refurb vs new (white) MacBook, is there a noticeable difference in CPU power between the older 2.4GHz on 800MHz bus vs. the new 2.0GHz on 1066MHz bus? I know the newer also has the better video card. They're both listed at the same price, so just looking for best bang for the buck.

Thanks!

In terms of raw speed, they'll both be roughly the same. 2.4 is a faster CPU, and may be better for very CPU intensive apps, but the 800MHz FSB is a bottleneck, and you'll notice the difference immediately if you use USB or anything else FSB heavy at all. I haven't done significant benchmarks, but they both feel pretty snappy in terms of general processing speed.

The real difference is the video chipset, and that is a HUGE jump in the new ones. Even doing simple everyday things like Exposé, you will notice the difference between the Intel and nVidia chipsets. And the difference is only going to get even more noticeable when Snow Leopard comes out which has even more 3D acceleration demands.

I would say, get the new 2.0, no question. For the video chipset alone it is worth it over the old 2.4.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008

Thanks!

In benchmarking where compression/decompression was used at the standard, I've seen the two systems withing 5% of each other.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The Apple [Retail] Store doesn't sell refurbished computer…

But the new polycarbonate MB is very very nice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.