Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scifi451

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
MN
I recently just noticed this crack by the cd/dvd slot. Here is a picture of it.

crackpb.jpg

Think it is anything major to be worried about? if so would it be covered under warranty? my PB is still less than a year old.

It is a TiPB 15"

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
scifi451 said:
I recently just noticed this crack by the cd/dvd slot. Here is a picture of it.

crackpb.jpg

Think it is anything major to be worried about? if so would it be covered under warranty? my PB is still less than a year old.

It is a TiPB 15"

welcome to the world of apple laptops. cracks are almost common in some of the powerbooks over the years.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Doesn't hurt to try with the warranty...And keep in mind that different people can get different things out of a warranty. You should be firm and insist that Apple help you with the problem. Don't take no for an answer. Be polite, but don't accept their excuses. Just because the guy on the other side of the line says that it's not covered under warranty, that doesn't mean you can't make it get covered under the warranty.

I'd explain how you've been a loyal fan of Apple over the years and in all your time you've never had the displeasure of having this kind of hardware defect. Macs are made to last, you've always felt, and this surely can't be a common problem endemic to Apple's manufacturing. It must be a mistake and you hope that Apple will do its part and take care of it.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
themadchemist said:
Macs are made to last, you've always felt, and this surely can't be a common problem endemic to Apple's manufacturing. It must be a mistake and you hope that Apple will do its part and take care of it.

in the mid to late 90's apple had many problems with powerbook cases cracking. mostly with the 5300 and 3400.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
blue&whiteman said:
in the mid to late 90's apple had many problems with powerbook cases cracking. mostly with the 5300 and 3400.

Certainly. But that's not how you convince Apple that it should fix your computer. I was just suggesting the line you might want to give Apple. After all, to Apple, customer perception is very important. If customers think the "good old days" were better, then Apple should be a little worried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.