PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart launches music service

MacBytes
Mar 23, 2004, 07:13 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Wal-Mart launches music service (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040323201347)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

iKenny
Mar 23, 2004, 08:06 PM
This Wal-Mart store represents a new threat to Apple-the average person. It's my opinion that despite all of the advertising, the average American doesn't know he or she can download music legally. Now, when they enter Wal-Mart, they'll see ads for the service and assume its the only one. When they find out about iTunes, they'll probably stick with Wal-Mart because it's 11 cheaper. I might be wrong, but Apple should be careful around Wal-Mart.

NusuniAdmin
Mar 23, 2004, 09:08 PM
This Wal-Mart store represents a new threat to Apple-the average person. It's my opinion that despite all of the advertising, the average American doesn't know he or she can download music legally. Now, when they enter Wal-Mart, they'll see ads for the service and assume its the only one. When they find out about iTunes, they'll probably stick with Wal-Mart because it's 11 cheaper. I might be wrong, but Apple should be careful around Wal-Mart.

Yes...indeed..apple may very well be screwed. I have a quick question though, wut kept apple from patenting the idea of an online music store, I asked my great uncle that (who is a patent person, i think there called patent clerks) and he said there is no reason why apple did not patent it. He did a search for me and said noone had a product/invention patented like that, that had anything to do with legal music downloads.

mac15
Mar 23, 2004, 09:35 PM
Does any Apple user on these boards have faith? Do they still realise its the number one music store by a huge percentage? Remember Napster? iTunes killed it. Remember Real? iTunes killed it.

Everytime another store is announced user cramp up and think the worst it about to come. Have a little faith

iKenny
Mar 23, 2004, 10:36 PM
Does any Apple user on these boards have faith? Do they still realise its the number one music store by a huge percentage? Remember Napster? iTunes killed it. Remember Real? iTunes killed it.

Everytime another store is announced user cramp up and think the worst it about to come. Have a little faith

It certainly would be great if iTunes beat them all. I'm not saying Apple is completely doomed, I'm just saying that based on their past decisions, no one can be sure they will come out on top. At some point, it just depends as to who has the most money (Wal-Mart=1 on Fortune 500; MS at 46(??), Apple at 301). The HP deal is great, but at some point even HP can't help Apple. The other thing that bothers me a little is that they managed to rope a whole lot of exclusive content (Tim McGraw, unreleased songs from Hilary Duff, Shakira, etc.) and they have improved the experience (still not as great as iTunes though). Still, if Apple can keep the iPod brand strong, I see nothing changing anytime soon. Who knows, Apple might still have many tricks up their sleeve (85 downloads??)...

Mr.Hey
Mar 23, 2004, 11:15 PM
It certainly would be great if iTunes beat them all. I'm not saying Apple is completely doomed, I'm just saying that based on their past decisions, no one can be sure they will come out on top.

The past is the past and we learn from them. If one can't be sure then why are you posting a comment that's leaning to one side more than the other?.

At some point, it just depends as to who has the most money (Wal-Mart=1 on Fortune 500; MS at 46(??), Apple at 301). The HP deal is great, but at some point even HP can't help Apple. The other thing that bothers me a little is that they managed to rope a whole lot of exclusive content (Tim McGraw, unreleased songs from Hilary Duff, Shakira, etc.) and they have improved the experience (still not as great as iTunes though). Still, if Apple can keep the iPod brand strong, I see nothing changing anytime soon. Who knows, Apple might still have many tricks up their sleeve (85 downloads??)...

Companies will not invest all their capital into one venture --they have their limits like everyone else-- especially with the established music services showing such poor sales.

(sleepy as heck so forgive me if it doesn't make sense)

walkingmac
Mar 24, 2004, 12:49 AM
The past is the past and we learn from them. If one can't be sure then why are you posting a comment that's leaning to one side more than the other?.

Tis Tru... bear in mind as well (and I don't want to sound like a mac zombie following blindly like the lemmings commercial) that the current leadership did pull Apple out of the red and re-establish it as a real product again with all kinda of momentum that spans beyond just a 'niche' computer company. Competition is always good cause it spurs on new advances. Sure, they may have more money, 'but we have culture'. I think that if a company such as WalMart tries to move in, that now more then ever Apple rise to the challenge and hold their own.

solvs
Mar 24, 2004, 01:05 AM
I know posting the same thing in 2 different forums is frowned upon, but I posted this here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=764059#post764059).

I think this is kind-of self defeating. First, there's this glut of stores right now, with very little to differentiate them. Second, online music is kind-of a luxury item. Most people are just going to buy the album, or if they are cheap, d/l for free. People are buying from iTunes to put stuff on their iPod. If you are cheap (or poor) enough to buying a cheaper mp3 player, you aren't going to be d/l music for anything other than free. You'll be ripping from CD's if you pay anything at all.

I said it about BuyMusic, I'll say it about Wal-Mart's... doomed to failure.

redAPPLE
Mar 24, 2004, 01:36 AM
Who knows, Apple might still have many tricks up their sleeve (85 downloads??)...

like a g5 powerbook, which i hope will come in the next month? :o *frustrated*

crenz
Mar 24, 2004, 05:52 AM
Guess it's time to create MakeYouOwnBrandedMusicStore.com. Everybody seems to be opening music stores these days... Will be interesting to see who will be left a year down the road.

And it will be interesting to see what comes first -- my first grandchild* or my first song bought at iTMS Germany. :(

*I'm not even a father yet :p

artooro
Mar 24, 2004, 08:37 AM
Their web site says that the songs don't work on Mac. I download the Sample song and it worked just fine in Windows Media Player 9.

Why would they lie like that on their web site? :eek:

mainstreetmark
Mar 24, 2004, 08:53 AM
Wal*Mart seems squarely targetted at all the NON-Apple customers. They're not so much after Apple customers, which is a very un-Walmart way to do business (move in, undercut everyone, become the only shop in town, raise prices, move on).

Their website specifically states "No Macs" and "No iPods", so the only dent Apple will see is with Windows users who don't have an iPod.

As for patentable technology, there's probably so much tech in this process that interferes with existing patents, the idea as a whole just didn't make it.

szark
Mar 24, 2004, 10:01 AM
Their web site says that the songs don't work on Mac. I download the Sample song and it worked just fine in Windows Media Player 9.

Why would they lie like that on their web site? :eek:

The sample tracks probably have no DRM, so they'll play fine under WM9 for OS X.

WM9 doesn't support DRM-protected WMA files, so it won't play the purchased downloads.

noxes
Mar 24, 2004, 03:02 PM

Napster? Real? what they had music stores. :D