PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen battery life?

SLC Flyfishing
Feb 16, 2009, 01:58 PM
I got a 32 GB iPot touch the other day, and I am a little worried that the battery might not be up to par for one reason or another.

I charged it fully yesterday, I used it to surf the web and show my brother some of the apps I downloaded (maybe about 30 minutes) then shut it down for the night. This morning I listened to songs on my way to work, they were played from a playlist, and I used it for about 40 minutes. I wrote an email, then this afternoon I surfed the web on it for about 20 minutes and the battery warning message came on.

All told I used it online and in apps for about 50 minutes, and music for ~40. I'd think that my battery should last longer than that, but perhaps I'm expecting too much?

Does this sound about right, or does it sound like maybe my battery might have a problem?

SLC

JediMeister
Feb 16, 2009, 02:21 PM
http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html is the go-to guide for maximizing the battery. I am curious about what you mean by "shut[ting] it down for the night." Did you tap the sleep/wake button or did you actually power it off by holding down and then swiping the slider bar that appears? Sleep/wake just puts it in standby, the wireless card is still working in the background, as is location services and the push/fetch features, to my understanding.

SLC Flyfishing
Feb 16, 2009, 02:25 PM
http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipods.html is the go-to guide for maximizing the battery. I am curious about what you mean by "shut[ting] it down for the night." Did you tap the sleep/wake button or did you actually power it off by holding down and then swiping the slider bar that appears? Sleep/wake just puts it in standby, the wireless card is still working in the background, as is location services and the push/fetch features, to my understanding.

I did just put it to sleep with the sleep button. Being new to the iPod touh, I didn't know about the other way, I'll give that a go and see how much of an effect it has.

I bought it in an apple store, they'll take it back or exchange it within the first two weeks so I want to get this sorted out before then. After that, if it's anything like my last experience, they'll want to replace it with a refurb, which I'm not terrible comfortable with.

Thanks for the tip Jedi!

SLC

scrappledog
Feb 17, 2009, 06:17 PM
The battery life seems better than the 1st gen, but it still dips steadily if you're using wi-fi or intensive programs. Right now I'm into the free reader Stanza (lots of free books, too -- I'm reading Upton Sinclair's The Jungle on it), so I'll see how that drains power.

What I'd like to see is someone come up with a battery that lasts perhaps 2 to 3 times longer and can be installed. Obviously, you wouldn't want to do this while it's under Apple's warranty, but when the device is older and the battery all but crapped out, I'd pay to get something even third-party installed to extend its life.

It's my workhorse now. Once I found -- thanks to this forum -- the Insipio mic designed originally for the Nano, I've been using my Touch for all my work-related interviews.

SLC Flyfishing
Feb 18, 2009, 10:02 AM
Update:

I've made it a point over the past two days to turn the WiFi off unless I'm going to use it. And I've been shutting the iPod completely off when I'm in classes so that it doesn't use any power at all. This seems to be helping.

I think that the apps and the WiFi use power a lot faster than I maybe expected. I thought they would drain the power down fairly quickly, but not like they seem to do.

SLC

cmichaelb
Feb 18, 2009, 02:55 PM
I found conditioning the battery when I first get a new iPod seems to help.

Charge it fully then run it all the way down, then recharge fully.

Plus, I turn it off fully at night to minimize any battery drain.