Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I was just watched, The ScreenSavers on TechTV, and was wondering if anyone had purchased one? I was also wondering if it was compatable with iTunes, and its burning software? Does this burner really burn on a Mac, or in my Dual G4, at these speeds:

Sony's 8x DVD Burner: DRU-530A
Write Speed: 40X CD-R, 24X CD-RW, 8X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 4X DVD-R, 2X DVD-RW
Read Speed: 40X CD-ROM/CD-R, 12X DVD-ROM
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
Buffer: 2 MB

Attachments

• sony-dru-530-300x175.jpg
    sony-dru-530-300x175.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 505

briankonar

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
i'd wait for the new line of DL (dual layer) burners. Perfect for duplicating commercial DVD's :D . Although media looks to be quite expensive, and burn speed is only 2.4x, it doubles the capacity! Then again what ever happened to blue laser Hi Def dvd's?

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
BluRay.com

briankonar said:
...wait for the new line of DL (dual layer) burners. Perfect for duplicating commercial DVD's :D .
Although media looks to be quite expensive, and burn speed is only 2.4x, it doubles the capacity!

Then again what ever happened to blue laser Hi Def dvd's?
Blue Laser, high capacity: http://www.blu-ray.com

1. Excellent advice on waiting for Dual-Layer, DL is not far off...like a few months. Patience.

2. Pioneer SuperDrives are pretty much always compatible, the new DVR-A07 or DVR-107 both burn DVD at 8x and Apple supplied us with its driver in 10.3.3. It is what Apple uses for our SuperDrives.

3. Blu-ray.com is growing by leaps and bounds this year, but still probably more than 5 months away from putting affordable product in consumer hands requiring both:
• laser drives; and
• blank media DVD±R BR
with 50GB capacity.

March 18, 2004 -
TDK Joins Blu-ray Disc Founders

The Blu-ray Disc Founders (BDF) today announced the addition of TDK, a leading manufacturer of optical discs, as its newest member. "We are pleased to support the Blu-ray Disc format, since it is the format we believe in.", said Mr. Masatoshi Shikanai, Corporate Officer of TDK. "Our new hard-coat technology is perfect for producing robust, bare Blu-ray discs in a cost-efficient way. It will provide the optical media industry with a disc that can be efficiently produced at a large scale, and it offers the consumer a robust recordable or rewritable disc with the same handling capability as DVD. We are very excited about supporting this format." With the support of TDK, the BDF are broadening their industry support to develop and establish Blu-ray Disc as the next generation optical disc.
Read more: TDK

March 9, 2004 -
Matsush*ta to Offer 50GB Blu-ray Disc Recorders in July

Matsush*ta Electric (Panasonic) today announced that they will release a Blu-ray Disc recorder on the Japanese market in July and thereby become the second manufacturer to offer Blu-ray Disc recorders. The Matsu****a Blu-ray Disc recorder uses a two-layer disc structure, which means that a single disc can hold up to 50GB of data, or 4.5 hours of HD video. U.S. consumers still have to wait a while longer for Blu-ray products, but LG Electronics has previously stated that they intend to introduce a Blu-ray Disc recorder with a 200GB hard drive in the U.S. in the third quarter of 2004

BELOW is the Pioneer prototype for BluRay recorder.
Panasonic & other recorders: http://www.blu-ray.com/recorders/

pioneer.jpg

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
Sweetfeld28 said:
Dude, check your LINK, could not get it to work for me.
LATER: HEY, it finally worked after trying 5 times.
and I LOVE THE VIDEO.
SONY has a fast 40 x CD-R with 8x DVD±R/RW and only $141, Black OR White face plate. COOL! :cool:

Thanks for the heads up.
Don't you just love this race to get our $$$ :D

Dual-Layer coming by the end of summer,
16x DVD by the end of the year....:D

MacRAND

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
Hi, I just received my 2x1.8Ghz G5 1.5GB ram Superdrive etc etc

when I start toast6 it tells me that this superdrive can burn at 8x... so apple added these drives without telling ;-)

MacRAND

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2003
Phoenix AZ USA
8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) in new G5s - maybe...maybe NOT

Jo-Kun said:
Hi, I just received my
2x 1.8Ghz G5 1.5GB ram Superdrive etc etc
when I start toast 6 it tells me that this superdrive can burn at 8x... so apple added these drives without telling ;-)
1st. Congratulations on receiving your new G5. You must be very excited and happy.
2nd. Depending upon which Make & Model Apple installed, you may or may not have an 8x burner.
3rd. All you really know is that your Toast SOFTWARE has a "selection" for 8x burning, not that your SuperDrive "can burn at 8x". :(

Standard APPLE procedure in the past has been - No announcement, no fanfare, just Apple timely keeping up with the latest parts even within mid-run of model manufacturer. But, it depends on when your G5 was assembled.

Here is how to check:

In Toast 6, from the top menu bar, pull-down Recorder and select Recorder settings...
Would you please tell us what it says for the drive in the Recorder: window?
Pioneer DVR-10__ or DVR-A0__ (what is the last digit?) It is either 6 or 7.
SONY ....

Cross-check laser drive identity through Apple's System Profiler
Click on ATA and after the Macintosh HD hard drive, the laser drive should be listed.
You can highlight all that information, COPY it into memory, the PASTE it into your Reply POST.

Only after we know which SuperDrive make & model you have inside your new G5 will you know for sure if it is capable of burning DVD discs at 8x.

Note: in the Toast v. 6.0.3 "Write Speed:" window saying "Best", if you drop-down for sped selection, it should give you a range of speeds from 1x ~ 8x, including 4x and 6x,
unfortunately, regardless of what speed your laser drive is capable of burning DVD discs, 6x and 8x are already included.
Sorry to burst your bubble. :(

Soon, when 16 x drives start to become available, Roxio should quickly make available Toast v. 6.1.0 update to increase selection capability to the new range: 1x ~ 16x, with speed selections added:
8x
12x
16x
Roxio may or may not include in-between speeds of 10x and 14x.

Regardless: you cannot absolutely verify your particular drive's current capability until you buy and burn a blank 8x DVD±R disc. Expect Apple to stock 8x DVD-R blanks in Apple Stores upon release of the new PowerMacs, which are already rumored to contain 8x SuperDrives, probably Pioneer.

Test: Although 10.3.3 did provide the 8x driver for the new Pioneer DVR-A08/108, none of us knows if it will burn @ 8x until somebody selects 8x, burns it, and times a near 4.7 GB burn. Then we will know.
So, which SuperDrive did Apple install in your G5?​

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
off course I'm happy with my G5, I need it for my studio (I'm a professional photographer, and my old powerbook, even with 1GB ram couldn't handle my 750MB files so well in Photoshop ;-) )
and my scanner needed 30 min to scan one of those files because of slow internal harddrive issues... (image size: 1.5m x 1m @ 300dpi...)

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D:

Manufacturer: PIONEER
Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D
Revision: A707
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

that's the one wich is inside my G5, I'm not sure if this one is capable of burning at 8x off course, but once I get DVD-R 8x media I'll try it off course ;-)

and indeed toast tells me allso that my extrenal 52x burner can do 56x... but I never go over the 24x speed, since some oldercd-rom drives refuse to read them when I brun them at that speed, even tough my media is 52x certified...

J

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Thats good news for you. Check Pioneer's website on the stats for that drive, i think you should be able to burn at 8x. If you can't now then they should have a firmware update to make it so you can; at least sony's website does for the drive above.

Also, it looks like i might have to break down and buy the Sony drive. Yesterday my Combo drive crapped out on me. When i put a disc in, it just blinks (not sure if it spins), and doesn't mount on the desktop. I'm trying to repair permissions right now to see if that does anything. Wish me luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.